45 ACP lead boolits

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

45 ACP lead boolits

Post by hondo1892 »

Need some help guys. I'm going to get a mold for a 230 grain boolit for .45 ACP. Which do you guys get the best accuracy with, round nose or truncated. My 1911 feeds booth very well. I have the Lee RN mold but it has the wrong shape to it and doesn't feed well. I'm thinking either the Lyman RN or a truncated style from Accurate.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: 45 ACP lead boolits

Post by Griff »

I use a 200 grain round flat nose. The same bullet I use in my 45Colts in both pistols and leveractions. I also use a 225 grain TC bullet which I primarily use for BP in the 45Colt, but keep a few mags full for the 1911 in lieu of a 230 grain. If I were to order a mold for the .45Auto, I think I'd like the TC in the 3 cavity Accurate mold. Production of cast bullets is just so much more satisfying with a 3 or 4 cavity mold.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

My 1911's will feed a Keith semi-wadcutter. Like them pretty good accuracy wise so I stick with that for the 1911's

I've found the glock 30 to prefer good ole round nose. Hard alloy at moderate velocities.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

The lyman is supposed to be the closest in shape to RN FMJ, the late Bruce B from the boolits forum was a big fan of it.

I had the RCBS 230 RN for several years, no complaints in the feeding or accuracy dept.

For paper punching I like a 200 gr swc, Particularly the discontinued Lee 190 gr. I had Accurate make me a copy of it.

For fur or feathers I want a 230 gr with a flat nose, the only 230 gr mold I own today is a copy of the 230gr RCBS cowboy bullet minus the crimp groove.

------J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

RCBS 45-230-CM ( suffix could be marked as CA or CAS, all the same bullet) a round nose flat point bullet with generous lube groove. Accurate and feed slick in my three 1911's. Has a crimp groove and is a super bullet in the .45 Colt. My CAS bullet for the last 5-6 years.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

IN FIFTY YEARS, I've never had a 45ACP pistol that did not shoot the Lyman 452374 to beat the band. Using the same charge as the GI issue 45ACP ball ammunition the FPS was right at 800 to 825 and boy, did I win money matches with that load in the Colt NM 45.
And so it goes...
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Thanks guys. I have three molds that I want to get right now. I've decided on one for my 45-60 already but the ACP and .357 I'm still pondering. But kinda leaning towards the Lyman round nose for the .45 ACP right now.
Griff, I'm with you. Three or four cavity molds are the way to go.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Which Lee 230 gr mold do you have? The version with the regular lube groove needs to loaded to shorter OAL in my R1 than other comparable 230 RN bullets in order to feed. I have no experience with the tumble lube version. Also, I agree with the good Mr. Murbach regarding the Lyman 452374. Cannot be beat.

Eric
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Yooper it is the one with the lube groove. It works ok in my Colt's that I have but the Ruger didn't like it very well. It needed to be set back even more.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have the same Lyman 230gr mold that Terry mentioned above. I have no idea how many of them I've cast and shot over the years. Worked perfectly fine in every 1911 pistol that is safe to shoot.
I've also shot many different bullets cast by others and never had a lick of trouble with any of them.

You see, my Colt Government Model, serial # 141464, circa the late 1930s, would feed empty cases from the magazine all day long. If the cartridge was properly built, had a proper powder charge and a good primer, that pistol didn't care what it was fed.

That is the cure for a finicky 1911 or 1911a1, do a throat job on it. It doesn't take much, I did my own throat job and was thrilled about it.

Sadly that pistol was stolen in a burglary in 77 or 78. If anyone runs across it, let me know, I still want it back.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

FWIW, Lee offers a couple different RN bullets in 230 gr.. One, the most problematic is the R1 which has a blunt, stubby profile and must be seated pretty deep to chamber properly. I've cast/shot a bunch of Lee's 200 gr. LSWC, an H&G #68 clone. Feeds well in 2, 45 ACPs and is pretty accurate...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...