One Thing Leads To Another (Paper Cartridges - Lots of pics)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

One Thing Leads To Another (Paper Cartridges - Lots of pics)

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I recently shared with everyone here a paper cartridge box and label I had made. Here’s a link to that thread:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=64482

The box is for paper cartridges for black powder cap & ball revolvers, in this case, a .44-caliber. I decided I ought to do a post on how the actual paper cartridge was made!

First a little background. I read an article decades ago, while I was still in college (mid-80’s) on paper cartridges from one of my Dad’s old American Rifleman issues from the 1960’s. I thought it was interesting and not difficult, so I made up a quick jig using a pencil and masking tape. Here is a picture of my original paper cartridge reloading set-up.

Here is a close-up of pencil with masking tape jig:

Remember, I was back in college – the quintessential “poor college kid”. I was lucky to afford the makings for a paper cartridge; a masking tape pencil jig would have to do.

I recently got to talking with a friend of mine and discovered he had a pair of cap & ball revolvers that had belonged to his father. I offered to inspect them, make sure they were safe to use, and clean them up. I did so, and also decided to break out the old jig and make him some paper cartridges.

Well, as they say, one thing leads to another…

First, I decided I needed to make a better jig for the paper cartridge. This one is made of oak:

So now it is part of the kit:

To make a cap & ball paper cartridge, you start by wrapping cigarette paper around the jig like so:

The paper fully wrapped looks like this:

You leave it a bit long on the end, then fold it:

Then you glue the tab. You don’t want to be thick on the bottom, or it will cause a hang-fire (NOT GOOD!), so don’t double up the thickness and the bottom, and no glue there!

The paper cartridge is starting to take shape:

Now you pull the paper cartridge off the jig:

Then measure your powder; in this case, 30 grains of FFFg Goex Powder (this is too stiff a charge for brass-framed .44’s; don’t exceed 25 grains in them):

And you fill the empty the paper cartridge.

Next, you drop in the round ball, and twist the paper:

I then tie it off with some simple thread – the same roll I used 30 years ago!

Once tied, cut the thread:

Then cut the excess thread and paper off the cartridge top:

You’re done! 

Here is what a completed black powder cap & ball .44-caliber paper cartridge looks like alongside my new oak cartridge jig:

Here is a close-up of the same:

Like I said, one thing leads to another. This already led to making a new .44-caliber jig, but why not make more?

So I made a jig for the .36-caliber and one for the .31 caliber. Here’s a picture of all three beside loaded paper cartridges (for the .31-caliber, I use half a sheet of the JOB paper):

My nominal loading is 30 grains for the .44, 18 grains for the .36, and 10 grains for the .31.

Now you see why I decided to make a paper cartridge box!

Like I said, one thing leads to another! :wink: :lol:
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: One Thing Leads To Another (Paper Cartridges - Lots of p

Post by Griff »

And to think... for 28 years, I've just poured powder down in the chamber, seated a lubed wad and then a ball... why that's just SO much more complicated. :P :P :D :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I think it is neat and on dark winter nights, better than watching junk on TV!
Nice one bud.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

That's perty neet, but poor, that woulda meant P A papers, them JOB papers were like 95 cents :lol:
Thanks for the instructional
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I seem to remember reading an article on making paper cartridges but I was thinking they soaked the paper in some kind of nitrate mixture so the paper it's self would burn up as well.

Do the rolling papers leave any residue or do they burn up completely?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Very interesting post, 8)
I have made a few paper cartridges for muskets but never for revolvers.
A few years ago a guy at the gun club gave me a box of black powder pellets that were designed to exactly fit the chambers of a 1851 Navy, they worked OK, perhaps I should have converted them into paper cartridges?
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Rusty wrote:I seem to remember reading an article on making paper cartridges but I was thinking they soaked the paper in some kind of nitrate mixture so the paper it's self would burn up as well.

Do the rolling papers leave any residue or do they burn up completely?
I guess back in the 1960's when the article was originally written, rolling paper was a lot cheaper!

I haven't had any issues with paper residue. I have hang-fires though if the base is too thick.

My plan is to now improve this by making my own nitrated paper. One thing leads to another... :D
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I roll my own for my muzzle loaders. The paper cartridges I make look just like those used in the revolutionary and civil wars. I make them from bond paper as you tear the end off and pour the powder down the barrel, then rip the paper off the projectile and ram it down. Civil war re-enactors make a lot of them but theirs lack the bullet for obvious reasons.
I even write on them with pencil what the load is. For eg: 44/95/200 indicates a 200 grain 44 bullet, (in a .50 sabot) with 95 grains of ffg. I've kept the same cartridges for years in my possible bag and they still work just fine.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

What size Dowel are you using for the .36 cal. ?
Last edited by Lefty Dude on Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Jay, I help on a Civil War reenactment cannon crew one time. My job was to place a gloved thumb over the flash hole while the barrel was swabbed with a wet mop. Then after the powder charge was rammed home I had a brass spike that I ran thru the touch hole to puncture the charge. The charge was a measured amount of powder contained in aluminum foil. Punching the hole in the foil helped assure reliable firing of the gun.
If you were to make a dowel with a piece of piano wire glued into the end you should be able to run that into the flash hole.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

Very interesting. I'ld be interested in knowing what size dowel you used for the .44 and the .36. Thanks for sharing!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Lefty Dude wrote:What size Dowel are you using for the .36 cal. ?
3/8" oak. That translates to .375", which is the nominal bore diameter for a .36-caliber. :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Lassiter wrote:Very interesting. I'ld be interested in knowing what size dowel you used for the .44 and the .36. Thanks for sharing!
I started with a 1/2" dowel rod for the .44", and a 3/8" one for the .36. The latter is actually spot on for the round balls I use in the ".36" caliber, which are actually 3/8" (.375"). I had to trim down the 1/2" rod a bit more. The round balls I prefer for the .44-caliber revolvers are .454", though I will use .451" if I need to. :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Rusty wrote:Jay, I help on a Civil War reenactment cannon crew one time. My job was to place a gloved thumb over the flash hole while the barrel was swabbed with a wet mop. Then after the powder charge was rammed home I had a brass spike that I ran thru the touch hole to puncture the charge. The charge was a measured amount of powder contained in aluminum foil. Punching the hole in the foil helped assure reliable firing of the gun.
If you were to make a dowel with a piece of piano wire glued into the end you should be able to run that into the flash hole.
Rusty, you just gave me a wonderful idea! I actually also made a "cap pusher" our of the 1/2" dowel rod. One side is for the .44/.45 caliber C&B revolvers, and the other side is for the .31/.36 caliber revolvers. I use this to really press the cap onto the nipple. It reduces (but does not eliminate) the cap blowing back and falling into the action (an annoying habit for C&B revolvers).

I think what I will do is make two more. One for .44/.45 calibers, and another for .31/.36 calibers. On the other end I will include a thin piece of piano wire or sewing needle to use to puncture the powder cartridge once seated. This should work dandy! :D :D :D