Thinking about a 1886 rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Thinking about a 1886 rifle

Post by Rube Burrows »

I have been thinking lately that I would like to get me a model 1886 rifle in 45-70 to hunt with some and shoot. The original rifles that I seen that really catch my eye are a bit too pricy for myself to be toting in the woods.

I am curious of the opinions of the members here.

What would you get if you were in the market for one? A newer Winchester? Chiappa? Or something else?

What are the advantages to one over the other?

I think I would prefer the longer barrels to the shorter ones.

I really like the Takedown Classic from Taylor's.

I seem to remember the early Chiappa rifles having problems. Have those been fixed?
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Thinking about a 1886 rifle

Post by hfcable »

I would get a browning 1886 from the later 1980s

the carbine would be the handiest
cable
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I got a Miroku/Winchester 1886 EL a few years back and am more than pleased with it.
I put a Williams receiver sight on it to compensate for my poor vision.

Jack
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've had two different .45-70 Winchester/Miroku Model 86EL's ( Extra Light's) - a plain Grade I and an engraved/gold-inlayed Grade II, with which I shot & hunted hard, for about 5 years.

They were very satisfactory hunting rifles, especially after I installed a Marble's tang peep sight on the Grade II.

Both operated very smoothly, and had no issues over the time I had them. (I only shot factory 300gr JSP's through them)

FWIW, when I eventually sold them, they were as pristine as the day I bought them (new) - since (although I took no special care with handling them) I never actually beat (parted) the brush with them, or used them as a stream-crossing crutch.

flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

Get the Browning 1886 that was made in 1986. It has no tang safety.
Next inline would be the Miroku/Winchester made later. Mine was made in 2001 and has a tang safety. A nice take down rifle that is very well made, and hard to beat.
The takedown weighs around 10lbs, which may be somewhat heavy to carry in the field for hunting purposes. The crescent butt is not overly pleasant to use with full power loads, not that they are really needed. Original type loads and velocity are plenty.
As for Chiappa and other brands, don't bother.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I like both but the carbine is really handy. Mine is a Browning SRC that has been shortened to 19", big bead front and Williams receiver sight. Makes a great combination. The Brownings are not that difficult to find and do not have the rebounding hammer or thumb safety. Just like the originals with better metal and heat treat. Expect to pay around $1400+ though for a like new specimen.

My 26" barreled 86 is from 1916 and is in 45-90 but almost identical ballistics except for the rate of twist in the barrel which means that I'm pretty much limited to bullets below 350 grain weight. It has the original barrel sights that Bubba filed a buckhorn down to a flat top and I added a Marbles tang sight for longer shots. An unknowing person had tried to rust blue it and had never carded the fuzzy black off so it really looked rough and I got a great deal on it.

At the Wanamacher show recently I did see a Miroku/Winchester rifle, 26" bbl. and pistol grip, checkered wood for $1095. Brand new but no box. I know I should have bought it and let someone here have a good deal but then hind sight is 20/20.

The only Chiappa I've owned was a 76 that was a little rough and had some outlandish spawled wood on it hence I'm not a fan but the right one at the right price might change my mind.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jmiller »

I too got the bug to have one two years ago. I ended up finding one NIB at a gun store in Pa. and bought it. I never had a problem with the tang safety but I did see one done over by Turnbull and decided to get mine done. I took it to them and had the safety removed, got it case colored, added a recoil pad to replace the metal butt plate, lengthened the lead (since Miroko makes them to the original factory spec....virtually no leade), and had them put a case colored receiver sight on the gun. It shoots sub 1.7" five shot groups at my private 114yd range on a pretty regular basis. It never fails to feed, fire, or eject and I've killed two deer with it since I got it. I couldn't be happier with it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
Best way to get an original 1886 is buy a caliber 33 Win. and get it re-barreled or rebored. Then you know for sure your barrel will shoot well. Or wait a few years... Maybe 10-15 to finally find a super deal.
The jap made 86's I have owned or handled were all well made and all shoot great. Groove diameters are very tight. Any new mold will get it shooting. They are showing up in good used condition and well under the original prices.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Thanks for all of the info guys. I will look into all options for sure. I had forgot about the Brownings. I really think that Taylor's take down was super pretty and would look good in a period style case but if the quality is not there then I'll for sure pass.

I was just watching a hunting show tonight and the guy was using a 1886 also do it must be a sign. Didn't hear them say what brand.

Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

jmiller wrote:I too got the bug to have one two years ago. I ended up finding one NIB at a gun store in Pa. and bought it. I never had a problem with the tang safety but I did see one done over by Turnbull and decided to get mine done. I took it to them and had the safety removed, got it case colored, added a recoil pad to replace the metal butt plate, lengthened the lead (since Miroko makes them to the original factory spec....virtually no leade), and had them put a case colored receiver sight on the gun. It shoots sub 1.7" five shot groups at my private 114yd range on a pretty regular basis. It never fails to feed, fire, or eject and I've killed two deer with it since I got it. I couldn't be happier with it.
Beautiful job. He sure does turn out some masterpieces.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

M. M. Wright wrote:I like both but the carbine is really handy. Mine is a Browning SRC that has been shortened to 19", big bead front and Williams receiver sight. Makes a great combination. The Brownings are not that difficult to find and do not have the rebounding hammer or thumb safety. Just like the originals with better metal and heat treat. Expect to pay around $1400+ though for a like new specimen.

My 26" barreled 86 is from 1916 and is in 45-90 but almost identical ballistics except for the rate of twist in the barrel which means that I'm pretty much limited to bullets below 350 grain weight. It has the original barrel sights that Bubba filed a buckhorn down to a flat top and I added a Marbles tang sight for longer shots. An unknowing person had tried to rust blue it and had never carded the fuzzy black off so it really looked rough and I got a great deal on it.

At the Wanamacher show recently I did see a Miroku/Winchester rifle, 26" bbl. and pistol grip, checkered wood for $1095. Brand new but no box. I know I should have bought it and let someone here have a good deal but then hind sight is 20/20.

The only Chiappa I've owned was a 76 that was a little rough and had some outlandish spawled wood on it hence I'm not a fan but the right one at the right price might change my mind.
Want to shorten mine to 18". what's something like cost? why did you go with 19"'s?
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have owned several 45/70's. I have had a couple of Marlins, and Ruger No. 1, a Browning 78 singleshot, a Winchester Japan Extra Lightweight, and a Browning 1886 Carbine fancy grade.

My favorite is the Browning 1886 Carbine and I had a Williams receiver sight put on it. I would have kept the Winchester Extra Lightweight but I did eventually have misfiring problems due to the rebounding hammer, and it lost favor, and I think I like the Browning carbine configuration better anyway.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

If you prefer a full length rifle over a carbine, I can recommend the recent production Winchester takedown as it is very affordable compared to an original. Quality and workmanship of the Japanese Miroku is far superior to the Italian stuff. The takedown feature is great, especially if you shoot black powder. The gunk can be pushed out the barrel without getting it into the action mechanism. The phony tang safety and rebounding hammer can be defeated with a bit of gunsmithing. Best of all, with a little luck you can find one of the Deluxe versions with high grade checkered wood. Here is one I recently bought for $1,400 unfired with the original box and papers (it didn't stay unfired for long once I got it :lol: ).

I am planning installation of a Browning hammer and trigger to get it back to a normal half-cock safety with no rebounding hammer.

Good Luck on your quest for an '86!

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

tman,

I bought the carbine from a forum member here. I don't know what it cost or why 19 inches but it seems just right. It has laid across my lap every afternoon this week while I sat in my blind.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
MtnGun
Levergunner

Post by MtnGun »

I have an original in .33 i'd sell. Message me if you're interested.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

M. M. Wright wrote:tman,

I bought the carbine from a forum member here. I don't know what it cost or why 19 inches but it seems just right. It has laid across my lap every afternoon this week while I sat in my blind.
Thanks for the reply. Looking to have it done to my 86 carbine. Looking for a good smith that will promise me, that after cutting, recrowning and rewielding the front sight to the barrel and shorting the mag tube, that I'll still have the same reliable gun that I started with. Hoping it will turn out to be as handy and almost as light as a model 94 Winchester.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Shasta wrote:If you prefer a full length rifle over a carbine, I can recommend the recent production Winchester takedown as it is very affordable compared to an original. Quality and workmanship of the Japanese Miroku is far superior to the Italian stuff. The takedown feature is great, especially if you shoot black powder. The gunk can be pushed out the barrel without getting it into the action mechanism. The phony tang safety and rebounding hammer can be defeated with a bit of gunsmithing. Best of all, with a little luck you can find one of the Deluxe versions with high grade checkered wood. Here is one I recently bought for $1,400 unfired with the original box and papers (it didn't stay unfired for long once I got it :lol: ).

I am planning installation of a Browning hammer and trigger to get it back to a normal half-cock safety with no rebounding hammer.

Good Luck on your quest for an '86!

Shasta
Thanks for the pics. That is a pretty gun. I missed that Winchester made a recent take down 1886 since I had not really been looking at the time. I will def. consider them as I'm a Winchester man anyways.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Is there any accuracy lost between a non takedown and a takedown?
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Rube, there's a man over in Kiln, Ms. got some 86s, I know one is 45 90, if your interested I'll give him a call or give you his number

PLOWBOY
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

plowboy 45 wrote:Rube, there's a man over in Kiln, Ms. got some 86s, I know one is 45 90, if your interested I'll give him a call or give you his number

PLOWBOY

Sent you a PM.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

M. M. Wright wrote:tman,

The 19" makes sense. Now, to find a good smith?
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

Rube Burrows wrote:Is there any accuracy lost between a non takedown and a takedown?
No, at least not on the miroku built rifles that I can tell.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

flatnose wrote:
Rube Burrows wrote:Is there any accuracy lost between a non takedown and a takedown?
No, at least not on the miroku built rifles that I can tell.

Thanks.