Anybody Know what type bluing

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Anybody Know what type bluing

Post by Ben_Rumson »

8.jpg
So I got into this 99H for way way cheeeep... I need to know what type of bluing Savage used on this 1936 352XXX version.. Was it rust bluing or hot bluing? I might want to doll her up... I usually like them as is but ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Re: Anybody Know what type bluing

Post by Mainehunter »

I really don't know what Savage used back then but I've rust blued a couple of older Savage and Marlin rifles. They really came out great! I think hot blue salts is quicker but the setup is expensive.

Mainehunter :wink:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Rust bluing should turn out "blue"; and hot bluing usually turns out a much darker blue-black.

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I too do not know what Marlin used but rust bluing is much easier for the hobbiest and it doesn't rust everything else in the shop like hot salts do. Unibath is the easiest to use of the hot blues but I found it to be too expensive for just a few pieces.

I have done a few things with Brownells' rust blue formula. One tank long enough for your rifle is all you need for boiling the parts after rusting. I've only used the hand brushes but plan on buying a wheel for my future endeavors. I keep Zep caustic soda for my hot degreasing tank in my auto machine shop so I set up a tank with some of it to degrease in although I did a few parts by cleaning with carb/choke cleaner and starting fluid. It worked fine.

Was it here that we had the long discussion on rust bluing? Some chap in England who does doubles for many of the big makers there chimed in with his formula and method which I found very helpful. I found that I like to polish my parts to a shinier finish than he recommended but I must admit that the resulting blue is highly durable.

Keep us posted on what you end up doing. We are a curious bunch.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

And PICTURES while you're doing it for us Neanderthal types what don't understand plain English written directions... Besides, it sure helps add to the appreciation to see where you started and the steps along way.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

Savage used several types of bluing on each rifle: More than likely the frame was blued via "Machine Bluing" aka Carbonia blue, barrel would have been rust blued, and the small parts Nitre blued.

I don't know of any American gun company that rust blued the frames

V/R

Mike
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Thank you Mike! That's some hard info to come by... Did searches every way I could think of with zilch results... Have Murray's book... No help... Again, Many thanks :D
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Pete44ru wrote:.

Rust bluing should turn out "blue"; and hot bluing usually turns out a much darker blue-black.

In the hands of a good restoration gunsmith, rust bluing does turn out black. I've seen a lot of rust blued barrels that weren't, but just as many done by people with great reputations, that look black.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/