Marlin Opening A Custom Shop

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Marlin Opening A Custom Shop

Post by DPris »

My first request will be an 1894 Mare's Leg in .45 Colt. :)
Denis
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Marlin Opening A Custom Shop

Post by AJMD429 »

I'd take a 16" 1894 with a threaded muzzle in any of their calibers... 8)

How about in 357/44 Bain & Davis - with a fast twist to stabilize 220 grain bullets at 1000 fps... :twisted:

Or an 1894 in 25-20 or 38-40 or 44-40,
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

I hear Remington is opening up custom shop called "marlin". :roll:
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I noticed their DSC booth had 3 or 4 "custom" model Marlin leverguns. I can't remember the exact configurations, but they were nothing you couldn't have a decent gunsmith make for you or do it yourself for less. Of course, not everyone has the capability to do it themselves or has access to a decent gunsmith.

Jim West of Wild West Guns was trying hard to sell me one of his. I like their products okay, but they are way overpriced. I'd rather have a Big Horn Armory product for the money.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

It'll be a slow start, give 'em a chance.
Denis
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

AJMD429 wrote:I'd take a 16" 1894 with a threaded muzzle in any of their calibers... 8)

How about in 357/44 Bain & Davis - with a fast twist to stabilize 220 grain bullets at 1000 fps... :twisted:

Or an 1894 in 25-20 or 38-40 or 44-40,
Wouldn't mind having one in a slow twist rate to shoot pistol bullets.

Mainehunter :wink:
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Panzercat wrote:I hear Remington is opening up custom shop called "marlin". :roll:
No...

It will just be called "Remlin" -- with the sole purpose to get so-called "Marlin" quality back up to -- but not any better than -- what the fine real Marlin folks in CT produced for the real Marlin.

I have NO faith at all that they'll do anything better -- and Lord knows we've seen their worst.

Oh, and I am not a pessimist...........................

Call me an optimist with a lot of experience!!! :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Would you prefer they be made in a foreign country at double or triple the price like another company we know? :roll:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I will take a 39A without the &*() cross bolt safety, tuned action that feeds smooth, and a match quality barrel, (not micro-groove), and a 2LB trigger, and of course a fine walnut stock.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I know it's a pipe dream, but a stainless steel Model 39a Mountie would float a lot of boats - especially with svelte, checkered, black synthetic stock(s).

I'd even like to see them develop a Model 39a in .22WMR....... :roll:

DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

The CS won't be able to fabricate guns that go beyond the base production models, so I don't know if you'll ever see a stainless 39 variant.

Anything coming out of the CS will have to start out with a production gun in some basic form.
Denis
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I want an 1894 in .327 Federal, or a .32-20 whichever comes first.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Rusty wrote:I want an 1894 in .327 Federal, or a .32-20 whichever comes first.
That could prove useful..... 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

When will they have time to do custom work? Seems all their spare time is taken up fixing QC issues!
Their idea of a custom is a gun that doesn't need to go back for repairs!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

I just want some magazines for my Model 62 Levermatic that are more than four rounds of 30 carbine!
otteray
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

DPris wrote:Anything coming out of the CS will have to start out with a production gun in some basic form.
Hmmmm....that would mean my 357/44 B&D could be done - just a new barrel - all the other parts are the same as their stock 44 Mag. Maybe shorten the magazine and fit a threaded 16" barrel... :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Over on Marlin Owners one member who spent His life working for Marlin, related that during the buyout the CEO from Remington visited the Marlin plant and told the workforce that these guns could be built by anyone.......... anywhere. :shock: .
From what I have seen He's got a lot to learn.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

.45colt wrote:Over on Marlin Owners one member who spent His life working for Marlin, related that during the buyout the CEO from Remington visited the Marlin plant and told the workforce that these guns could be built by anyone.......... anywhere. :shock: .
Today's CEO's are so far removed from the shop floor that they are lucky if they can recognize their own product. :cry:
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

tman wrote:
.45colt wrote:Over on Marlin Owners one member who spent His life working for Marlin, related that during the buyout the CEO from Remington visited the Marlin plant and told the workforce that these guns could be built by anyone.......... anywhere. :shock: .
Today's CEO's are so far removed from the shop floor that they are lucky if they can recognize their own product. :cry:
This is why so many companies are failing. They may not be gone yet, but they are headed that way. I have two customers that are on the ropes. One just sold to a Canadian firm, the other had a CEO run it into the ground. The new CEO is trying the same things to get back on track, with the same results. They are circling the drain and don't even realize it.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

The PIPS (People In Power) involved at the time are no longer running the Marlin operation.

Current PIPs are very much aware of the QC dump & the damage it caused to the brand.
New attitude.
They've invested millions in new equipment & training, and they're trying hard to bring Marlin's leverguns back.
The results are showing.

Eternally bashing Marlin for that error, which they've admitted & taken steps to correct, is pointless.
Equally so refusing to even look at a new one.
Inspect any new Marlin levergun personally, in hand, before committing, and just carry on.
Denis
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

DPris wrote:The PIPS (People In Power) involved at the time are no longer running the Marlin operation.

Current PIPs are very much aware of the QC dump & the damage it caused to the brand.
New attitude.
They've invested millions in new equipment & training, and they're trying hard to bring Marlin's leverguns back.
The results are showing.

Eternally bashing Marlin for that error, which they've admitted & taken steps to correct, is pointless.
Inspect any new Marlin levergun personally, in hand, before committing, and just carry on.
Denis
I sincerely hope you're right! But it's not like they didn't earn the bashing. I'm in the wait and see category. When enough people begin speaking highly of the latest products, I'll be glad to also look at them and praise them.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Nobody's questioning the idea that they totally earned bashing, including them.

Just not eternal, endless, incessant, perpetual, inevitable, knee-jerk, every-time-the-name's-mentioned-anywhere, bashing. :)

It IS possible for a maker to admit a serious error & correct it.

If the currents PIPs weren't committed to the brand, you think they'd be bothering with a custom shop?
Give 'em a chance.
Denis
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Panzercat wrote:I hear Remington is opening up custom shop called "marlin". :roll:
Heh, yea, anything made by Rem with the Marlin name on it, isn't a Marlin. Its a Remington repro of a Marlin. Considering they abandoned the old Marlin factory and workers completely.

If it doesnt have JW Marlin stamped on the barrel, it isnt a Marlin.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

marlinman93 wrote:
DPris wrote:The PIPS (People In Power) involved at the time are no longer running the Marlin operation.

New attitude.
The results are showing.

Denis
I sincerely hope you're right! But it's not like they didn't earn the bashing. I'm in the wait and see category. When enough people begin speaking highly of the latest products, I'll be glad to also look at them and praise them.
I'll just wait for MM93 to give them the ok, I doubt there's a more qualified authority around here or most places.

The last Remlin I handled looked like those Pakistani gun makers built it with a file and a rock. Letting something that bad out the door is something I would expect from a cheap chinese knock off. They deserve the reputation and remarks, and I've yet to see an apology made nor have I seen them even satisfactorily remedy some of the major flaws with the 1895 receiver cracking at the barrel threads due to poorly fitting the barrel and magazine tube. Od course that is no surprise considering it took Remington decades and several deaths to recall their 700's for the trigger issue. Some people may be inclined to forgive a corporation whose sole motivation is profit. I am not one of them. Especially one that won't even publicly acknowledge the utter failure Remingtons acquisition of Marlin was.

Incidentally, the Japchester was alluded to as being the lesser alternative to a US made Marlin repro. The Japanese 1888 quality is something Remington only dreams of. The Marlin repro made by Remington will never be of the same level of craftsmanship.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I just did an internet search, "Marlin Custom Shop", only thing I could find was some forum chatter about it dated 2011.

Is there a link to what we are talking about here.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Also, it just occurred to me, Mares Leg was a Win 92, why would Marlin make one?
11B30
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I don't want to bash Marlin I own six of them. All I want is them to be produced like they were before the takeover or better. the only product I have seen that is decent are the MXLR 30-30's and the stainless 45-70's. The rest look like the stocks are made of pallet wood.
If they want to get My attention they would develop the Marlin .338 Express further and convince the ammo makers to introduce more variety of ammo in it. from what I see they have dropped it from the catalog. I e- mailed the Owner of Henry on January 1, and got a reply from Him on January 2. Guess what new rifle is on My mind.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Because people might buy them? :lol:

Do the paperwork, pay the tax, put a stock on it. 8)
Slow is just slow.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

They're just starting up the shop, ask Vance what he saw at the Dallas Safari Club show.
No link yet.
There'll be more coming out of the SHOT Show this coming week.
Carlos Martinez will be heading it up.

Why would Marlin make a Mare's Leg?
Because I'd PAY them to make a Mare's Leg.

Non-standard and/or customized variations are sorta kinda the whole idea behind a custom shop.

My own personal desire for a custom shop Marlin levergun variation, ordered by me, ONLY for ME, to please ME, and made to MY specs, would simply be a Mare's Leg in .45 Colt.
That's it.
Not suggesting they make the ML a standard offering.
That's just what I'd want outa that shop. :)

And for those who can't let the past go- I guess you'll remain stuck in the past.
Denis
Ragnor
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Ragnor »

Checked out a Marlin 45/70 for sale at Wal Mart the other day. Looked better than the past ones except they still can't put the sights on straight. The front sight was canted off center. How hopeless. Took the CT Marlins quality for granted didn't we.
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

marlinman93 wrote:When will they have time to do custom work? Seems all their spare time is taken up fixing QC issues!
Their idea of a custom is a gun that doesn't need to go back for repairs!
Just what I was thinking, making a gun that actually WORKS!! :roll:
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

There's nothing I want more than a perfect Marlin, just like the Kenna family and John Marlin both built for many decades! And I'm not going to bash whatever comes down the turnpike from Marlin. But I don't have to bash the present company, or automatically give them a pass either.
Nobody has to do anything, as it pertains to the present owners, except wait. As with any new company (and that's what we're really dealing with here) we should take a wait and see approach. I wouldn't buy a gun from any new company until I'd seen enough of them to determine if they're all good, mostly good, or occasionally good.
I've owned over 300 Marlins in my lifetime, and still have several dozen. Love them all, and hope they reach the level of perfection they were known for.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

New attitude.
The results are showing.

Denis
They had a chance and blew it. I' rather see Marlin remain a quality product only available as used, than the poor reproduction it has become under Freedom Group. They have blown with both the quality of product and the way they treated the employees, I might add.
Also, the Japchester's are fine guns. I either buy them or Turnbull lever guns these days. Or used Marlin's if they are in good condition.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Yeah, I shoulda known better than to post anything even remotely positive about Marlin.
Disregard.
How do we close this thread?

Too many die-hard Marlin haters in it.
Denis
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Reckon the best way to close it is to just not read it anymore. I have shot some fine old Marlin rifles, but they just fit in my saddle scabbard like a piece of 4x4 post.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Question: why was Marlin sold in the first place??
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.