Buffalo hide rug - experience?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Senior Levergunner

Buffalo hide rug - experience?

Post by 2571 »

Lady at church raises buffaloes and is willing to give me a green hide. She doesn't sell them but puts them on a fence to feed the wild birds.

I can buy a home tanning kit on the 'net. Buddy will let me use his pole barn & skid steer for lifting.

Will I have to line the tanned pelt to use it for a rug? Any other advice? thx
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Buffalo hide rug - experience?

Post by Pete44ru »

Yep - Don't walk on it......................much.

The hair will eventually pull (off/out).

That's the advice my Son's taxidermist gave him when he picked up a large Moose hide rug, and I would WAG that the same thing would apply to Bison.

Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Never tackled a buff hide, but I have done a few deer hides and, Brother, may the Lord be with ye! By the time you're all done with the scraping and softening you'll need to do you'll either have the arms and shoulders of Arnold Shwarzenegger in his prime or be completely broken down! Great project for anyone with a few years of free time, though. Go for it! And keep us posted on your progress.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Most folks send them out to a commercial tannery to get them done. But get ready to part with some serious wampum if you do.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

[quote

That's the advice my Son's taxidermist gave him when he picked up a large Moose hide rug, and I would WAG that the same thing would apply to Bison. quote]

Internet advice fwiw, claims both bear & bison will not lose hair from walking on it. Don't make much difference because I'm gonna put up no trespass, and T-Party snake signs on it. lol

thx
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

2571 wrote:[quote

That's the advice my Son's taxidermist gave him when he picked up a large Moose hide rug, and I would WAG that the same thing would apply to Bison. quote]

Internet advice fwiw, claims both bear & bison will not lose hair from walking on it. Don't make much difference because I'm gonna put up no trespass, and T-Party snake signs on it. lol

thx
Please keep us updated with pics....(A bear rug on the wall is a semi-bucket thing)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

about 14$ a sq ft for a buff at a tannery, dont put a felt backing on it makes it to bulky cant drape it over a rail or couch, bear and buff you can wrestle on them wont hurt them Ive got both. If you get a home tan kit make sure its not a pickling product as they dont last. danny
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

My bear, yak, and bison hide have no backing and of the three, I prefer the yak one, covers the floor in my gun room. Shows no sign of wear
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Tanned into leather, buff makes GREAT moccasins!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!