Value of once fired brass

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Value of once fired brass

Post by t.r. »

I'm sure someone must have a need for my .308 empty cartridges.
- What is the value for 100 empties?
- How can I sell them legally?

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Value of once fired brass

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Not over half of new for sure. No problem selling fired brass. I just ship in a small priority mail flat rate box. 100 pieces should just fit, 100 .38-55's will fit in a small FR box.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

You can certainly sell them legally, there is no restriction whatsoever. You can mail them in a USPS Flat Rate box. I would try to sell them for 50% of the price of new brass and buyer pay shipping.

PS: hey, Chuck, I guess we were typing at the same time and said exactly the same thing. Great minds think alike. :lol:
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Fair market is somewhere between $20-$35 from the high volume once fired brass suppliers.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

The going price has dropped to around $1-$1.50 per pound.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Questions: once fired or reloads; commercial or military surplus; if surplus, country of origin? Hope it is Boxer primer.

Some reloaders have no qualms 'bout buying once fired, but have a problems with reloads.

If reloads, I would give an honest approximation/or the number of times reloaded and what the case length is. No use buying brass that maybe too short.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

jdad wrote:The going price has dropped to around $1-$1.50 per pound.

January prices.

Below $1 last week.
SafetyJoe
Levergunner

Post by SafetyJoe »

I see once fired 308 winchester brass selling on " the brass bank " facebook page for 15 to 18 cents each. Like other people have said using the USPS flat rate boxes is good and the best deal they have is when you use the flat rate padded envelopes because you can fit 4 or 5 times more brass in them than the small flat rate boxes that cost the same $6.80 to ship. You wont find the flat rate padded envelopes at your local post office like the boxes, but you can order them for free from the USPS website. I'll add a link below. Another option, which is the one I usually do, is to trade the brass you don't reload for calibers you do reload on the " brass trader " forum or on " the brass bank " facebook page.

https://store.usps.com/store/browse/usp ... -envelopes
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Commercial? Military? National Match? Crimped primers?

Military with crimped primers don't interest me much but some commercial with all matching head stamps I would like to buy. Maybe even a couple or three headstamps.

Put a price on them, I might bite.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

t.r. wrote:I'm sure someone must have a need for my .308 empty cartridges.
- What is the value for 100 empties?
- How can I sell them legally?

TR
Can you say what headstamp or make they are? As others brought up, that affects desirability. If its foreign, it may be berdan primed (two small offset flash holes instead one in the center). If in doubt, shine a light down into the case and look. If berdan primed, they are scrap value.

I don't know where a brass recycler is locally, I just toss berdan primed brass.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?