For you older guys....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

For you older guys....

Post by jnyork »

In your later years, have you ever bought a gun just because it was one you longed for in your youth but couldn't afford then, or you were just too young?

I have a few of these among all my others. Smith & Wesson K-22, Winchester 52, Remington 40X, Remington 722 in .222 Rem, 1911 .45 Auto. Still working on the Colt Single Action Army. :D
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: For you older guys....

Post by .45colt »

One I always wanted was a dual .45colt/.45ACP revolver that no one made.....until Ruger brought the Redhawk out last year. I think they built it just for Me. what a fine gun. :D :D :D .
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Yep ... A Colt .38 Special Officers Model Match. Just like I saw in the "Rifleman" magazine that the majority of the 1950s & 60s Pistol Champs and top shooters used...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Frequently. I'm strictly an impulse buyer these days. What may cause that impulse varies, but usually I see something, want it and buy it. As the saying goes, I'm spending my kids inheritance. Not really as the boys will end up with them and they can either keep them or sell them for, likely, more than I paid.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have acquired a few guns that I couldn't get when I was just a kid and there are still a few that I'd love to own.
Sadly after satisfying my urge to have these guns I let some of them go :oops: notably a Savage 24 and a Browning ATD. I still have a 3 shot .410 Spanish copy of a Mossberg 183, the Mossberg was the first firearm that I wanted but my elder brother convinced my parents to buy me a British made folding, single shot .410 instead. I used that gun for years but always wanted a repeater.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
KeithNyst
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KeithNyst »

New here today. Absolutely - back in the mid-60s as a kid I always read the Sports Afield my dad subscribed to; in the back there was a page that you could check off any of the manufactures that had advertised to have them mail catalogs. Needless to say, I checked off many. Of all the catalogs that came, I always like the looks of, and wanted a Savage 99, but could not afford one. I finally scratched that itch a couple of years ago and now enjoy learning and acquiring them on a small scale.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

KeithNyst wrote:New here today. Absolutely - back in the mid-60s as a kid I always read the Sports Afield my dad subscribed to; in the back there was a page that you could check off any of the manufactures that had advertised to have them mail catalogs. Needless to say, I checked off many. Of all the catalogs that came, I always like the looks of, and wanted a Savage 99, but could not afford one. I finally scratched that itch a couple of years ago and now enjoy learning and acquiring them on a small scale.
Welcome to the fire... :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I still want a then new, Brown Bess Assault Musket. Feeling pretty old today.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Always coveted a Ruger .22 pistol. Bought one on impulse.

Traded it away the next week. What a dud.

Similarly, wanted a Colt SAA. $1700, bought it on a humble & everybody asked if I was gonna shoot it or just put it in a drawer or safe. I shoot it every day.
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
As a kid, I've always wanted a Browning SA-22 rifle... In the mid-50's, as a young kid, I thought they were new...
I finally got one a few years ago.. I didn't realize how long they'd been making them...
I guess since 1914.....
Anyway, that one will be at the estate sale.... (Not anytime soon..!)

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

:lol: i still have the first rifle i ever bought (circa 1955-56)...an old sears roebuck model 103.18 (Marlin 100) manually cocked, single shot, 22 RF...i still shoot it regularly... :wink:

thru the years i bought a lot of those guns (and bows) i could not possibly, live without...but right now, i have all the firearms i can possibly ever hope to operate. i've been focusing of 'upgrading things like going to better optics or better peep sights.

FWIW...a Ruger falling block in 223 would be my 'dream'... :) :wink:
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I got a Remington Model 721, .270 Winchester, when I was 14, present from my older brother who was in the Navy. After I entered the Air Force, I was home on leave and traded it in on one of the new automatic washing machines for my Mom, she was still using the old wringer washer and tubs. About 15 years ago I found another really nice one and bought it for nostalgia purposes. Shot it a little and remembered why I got rid of the other one, dang thing kicks me over the moon, 3 or 4 shots is all I can take. Probably ought to sell it . :roll:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

As a kid, I always wanted the next gun to be scientifically chosen, and a 'pair' if possible.

The first one I got was a Ruger 10/22, so then it needed a 'companion' handgun. The choice was (obviously, to me) a Ruger, but the question was - a Mk-I semiauto, or a pretty stainless steel Single Six convertible...???

Since I knew the next 'pair' was going to be a 44 Mag Marlin 1894 and a 44 Mag Ruger Super Blackhawk, which I would reload, I figured the 22 LR wasn't reloadable, so why not get a semiauto and not worry about saving brass carefully dumped from a cylinder. Plus, the blued steel Mark-I just went well with the 10/22, and they both had a more 'military' theme versus a 'cowboy' one. 25 years later, I got a Ruger 96/22, and managed to get the 'obvious' pair for it - a Single Six, but it was not the stainless Convertible model I'd wanted as a kid.

Finally, 35 or so years later, I found a nice used Single Six Convertible in stainless, and I still feel like a kid whenever I handle that little revolver.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I guess that I'm impatient, because I didn't want to wait, so I used my fantastic plastic to get what I craved.

Love can be fleeting, of course, so most got sold or traded so I could meet yet another pretty face.

In my case, I guess the thrill was in the chase........................ ;)

Alan in Vermont
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Alan in Vermont »

Mine is a Model 59 Winchester shotgun, the one with the fiberglass wrapped barrel. Wanted one when it was introduced, had my own money for it. But since my father saw no need for a shotgun himself there was no reason I should have one. They discontinued it in 1965, I never saw one in a gun shop, even when they were in production, until sometime around 1980. My wife bought it for me for Christmas. For whatever reason it's the only Winchester shotgun I have ever been able to hit anything with. It's also the only shotgun I can use now. Thoroughly screwed up my left shoulder/arm and I can't swing either of my 1100s fast enough. My Belgian Browning A-5 20 ga. sorta works but the 59is so light I can shoot trap with it fairly well. I have to shoot skeet as all singles as I can't swap birds fast enough even with the 59 but I can bust singles pretty decently with it.

FWIW, I believe Winchester pioneered the interchangeable choke tube concept in the Model 59. I would kinda like to get a Win-choke barrel for mine but they come pretty dear and there's always something else I want more at any given time.

I think if that gun was being introduced today the alloy receiver and glass wound tube would fit right in with all the other high-tech stuff we're seeing in guns now. I don't think the gun buying public was ready for fiberglass barrels in the early 1960s.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Reading the hunting magazines at our smalltown barbershop led to the acquisition of an early LC Smith 12ga, a Fox Sterlingworth 16ga, a 257 roberts custom Winchester model 54, and a Winchester model 71 Short Rifle.
RandyC
Levergunner

Post by RandyC »

Mine were: 1) a Colt 1911 and 2) two Colt SAAs, one a .45 and the other in .44-40. I could justify the 1911 as serving a serious purpose but those 6-shooters are just for fun. And they truly are fun.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Always wanted as 50-110! For my retirement gift to me I bought a Brownchester M71 :D and had Turnbull convert it in a 50-110 with an octagonal barrel. Bout two years ago wanted a rifle that shot my 44 mag cartridge so I got a Marlin 94 with octagonal barrel :mrgreen:

Now to get the marlin to where I was happy with it, is another story where Regan Nonneman is a central character!
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

jnyork wrote:In your later years, have you ever bought a gun just because it was one you longed for in your youth but couldn't afford then, or you were just too young?
Yes! And more than one for sure! Since I grew up in the 50's watching westerns on TV, I had an infatuation with guns from the Old West. Most of what I own today are guns I could barely afford when I bought them, but I saved until I could, and added more along the way. To this day, there are still guns on my "bucket list" that I want simply because I've been enamored with them since I was very young!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I ran out of guns to want about 20 years ago but...............

I ordered a 1918A3 BAR which should be in by the end of the week.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Six,

That BAR should be a blast! Glad to see you back on here buddy.

Eric
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Eric,
Yea, copy that bro........I loaded up 500 rounds with 150 Hornadys in anticipation of the "break in". I wanted the full auto but the 35 g's made me hesitate so I settled for the semi version.ooooooooohhhhh....can't wait.....booooooooommmm!!!!!---6

yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

While I'd rather not say how money I spent for the privilege of firing a full auto BAR it was worth every penny; I think you'll still manage to have a hell of a good time with the semi auto! 8)

Eric
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'm still hoping to find that Pope barreled, factory engraved Ballard rifle! Zeroing in on one soon, I hope!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Both of these.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Ole Six with a BAR..........now that'd be something to see. :shock:
I think we're gonna need a 30's outlaw themed pic or video. :D

Glad you're still havin all the fun bud!

As far as buying the guns I wanted as a kid, I still feel like that kid every time I plunk down the cash for another one.
When I lose that feeling I won't bother any more. If I could have seen the fool stuff I'd have when I was kid sitting in my dad's modest gun room pouring over magazines and Gun Digests, I'd of died.
Makes life worth living my friends.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Jay,
Yea, it will be coming. :D I never was one to miss out on a days fun. You know, once the dirt gets thrown in your face, the shootin's over.__________-------6

t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I always wanted a 358 Norma MAG. Had a Springfield action re-barreled for it and it kicks bad but I love it!

I've hunted bison and Asian buffalo with this custom rifle. Both were one shot kills using factory ammo.

TR
Last edited by t.r. on Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sixgun wrote:Jay,
Yea, it will be coming. :D I never was one to miss out on a days fun. You know, once the dirt gets thrown in your face, the shootin's over.__________-------6

Haha......my man Six.

Yeah, you are right. I'm tryin to figure how to take em with me. Thats where the indians had it right. The happy hunting grounds sound like a sweet deal to me.

Maybe I can bribe ole St. Peter with an old saddle carbine if he will let me take all my cool old iron through the gate.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

I just scratched an itch with a 1941 vintage H&R Sportsman 22 cal. double action pistol. A buddy had one, I shot it and liked it, and 5 years later, I ran across the second one I have ever seen. 8)
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OldWin wrote: Maybe I can bribe ole St. Peter with an old saddle carbine if he will let me take all my cool old iron through the gate.
Jay,
I checked and contrary to what Jamie Colby says, you CAN take it with you. When you get to the Pearly Gates, go to the left where the sign reads "White Guys Entrance". If you go to the right, the gates are made of cheap pot metal and have metal detectors. :D -------6

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hahahaha!

You're mind is a scary place bud. :D

I'll be chuckling all night over that. You sure you ain't from around here?
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Jay, no, I'm not from Maine. :D I just don't give a ---- anymore. I worked hard my whole life...did all the right things.....blah..blah..blah. and after reaching 60 years I now agree with Jimi Hendrix....life is but a joke....enjoy, as our time here is but a pittance.----6

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

jnyork wrote:In your later years, have you ever bought a gun just because it was one you longed for in your youth but couldn't afford then, or you were just too young?
Ever single one I own. Except a couple. How young is "...in your youth..." Except for my bb-gun, I didn't want any until the Navy quit giving me them!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

geobru wrote:I just scratched an itch with a 1941 vintage H&R Sportsman 22 cal. double action pistol. A buddy had one, I shot it and liked it, and 5 years later, I ran across the second one I have ever seen. 8)
that was on my list too, found one a couple years back and another one more recently [ needed a spare ]

wanted a model 1895 Winchester in 30/06 ....got it finally, and also in 405 [ got it too a while back ]

a ruger flat top 44 mag [ got one a while ago ], a marlin 1897 22 lr lever gun with the oct 28" barrel , and so on......and on .......and on................ :D

lots of fun finally getting the guns the kid inside me always wanted.
cable
jackruff
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jackruff »

The gun I really wanted when I was a young adult was a Colt Frontier Scout, but I couldn't afford one so I got an H&R nine-shot .22 revolver. I still have the H&R and a whole bunch more, but not the Colt. (Could you even find a Frontier Scout now?)
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

jackruff wrote:The gun I really wanted when I was a young adult was a Colt Frontier Scout, but I couldn't afford one so I got an H&R nine-shot .22 revolver. I still have the H&R and a whole bunch more, but not the Colt. (Could you even find a Frontier Scout now?)
yep , you can, but you have to search for them..... i wanted one too, with the adjustable sights. i now have them in the 4 3/4', 5 1/2", and 7 1/2", in the box and with both 22 lr and 22 wmr cylinders. and dang but those puppies shoot well ! way better than any ruger 22 revolver that i have.

you know i bet we could keep this thread going for years ! :)

but those high standards 9 shooters are no slackers...very accurate....i always wanted their " high sierra" with both cylinders and the octagonal barrel....never got one, at least not yet, but got one of them with the round barrel and both cylinders and it is a shooter and also got their "natchez" with the birdshead grip....it is great too.
cable
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

I wanted a Winchester 94 lever action. And I wanted a Kentucky long rifle, flintlock.
I have had three '94's now. I havn't had the long rifle yet. There are still some things to take care of.

I remember a Guns and Ammo digest or annual from about 1979 - 80, which had all the guns in the back with pictures. I think I memorised it. I still remember all the pictures now.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
Hairtrigger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hairtrigger »

When I was a kid my neighbor shot woodchucks with a Win 70 in 225 win
15 years later I had to have one, the search resulted in me buying a pair of them
More or less the same story , buddy went bear hunting with a Win 94 in 375. I had to have one of those also
I am one gun away from happy
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Alan in Vermont: Congrats on the Model 59 with WinLite barrel. Seems to me that old grouse guru Frank Woolner thought this was the finest, fastest grouse gun ever made.
As to me, I still can't afford my dream gun, a double rifle in .577 3-inch BPE.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

My last buy was a K38 master piece. Dint really long for one years ago but now wonder why I dint get one before. I guess it was not a magnum is why.
ArcticGoose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ArcticGoose »

You all know how it is:
"Always one gun away from happiness."
"Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not used one or is un-wittingly commenting on their marksmanship." Phil Shoemaker
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Always wanted a Marlin 39 Mountie, finally got my dream piece several Years ago. I found a very nice Marlin 97 made in 1905, much better than the 39 I had in mind Years ago.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Ruger #1 45/70 --- nothing too exotic -- just a great gun i was enamored with when my relationship with firearms started --- one just never crossed my path when i had available funds

---- I have one now and i hope to get it to the range soon
----- Doug
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

For me it was a 39 anything . Had a nylon 77 as my first 22 , got a rem 781 a couple years later so I had no "need" at the time. Spent too long looking for a used one at what I thought a fair price for a tin can plinker :roll:
Finally saw one in good shape and paid what the current market felt was a fair price for a highly sought after and coveted work of art made out of blued gold and wood grained ivory :lol:
Worth the price of admission because I can't help but smile every time I shoot it 8)
Phil
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

Absolutely, I fell in love with a picture and article about the Model 71 I saw in the American Rifleman
more years ago than I can remember. That's because I am 74 years young ???
I really wanted one of those rifles ,HOWEVER as many of you know. Got married,no money, over time 3 kids ,job transfer ,other problems, no money, kids college etc etc. Forgot USAF and trip overseas. Now...............
Wife and I have been married 52 years. Kids gone ,we are very comfortable and I have 4 Model 71's !!
Life is good ...............
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC