Winchester model 71 values

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Winchester model 71 values

Post by Malamute »

I'm out of touch with recent values. Anyone have a range of prices they are going for? Mid 50's, replaced butt stock with pad, stock not fitted well. Fore end is original and has some scratches from use. Small rust spots on left upper side of receiver, probably from carrying. Blue is fair to decent. Bore is very good, mechanically very good. It looks like it was hunted some, but not shot a lot.

Trying to get a rough idea of value.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
cas
Senior Levergunner

Re: Winchester model 71 values

Post by cas »

I will give you ALL THE MONEY I HAVE!!!!

$43 :(
Slow is just slow.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I paid $1050 for this one http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... in#p744840

I found standard grade 71's made in the 50's didn't bring more than $1300 in excellent shape. If it has been tapped for a side mount scope like the one I bought brings it into a grand. Poor ones at gunshows can be had for not less $800.

Pre war deluxes bring from $2000 to $3000 depending on condition.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Go on "Gun Broker". You can get a general idea what the sellers is asking and if the buyer is willing to pay for it.
gordylew
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gordylew »

A fellow here in Georgia had one recently in fair shape asking $1300. He had no takers. I paid $825 for one off an auction site several years ago. It had been D/T and a recoil pad installed. The D/T didn't bother me since I planed on hunting with it. I wished it hadn't had the recoil pad installed more then the D/T. I kind of like the look of the escalloped metal butt plates. I'm always looking for a replacement butt stock with the original plate to swap out.
Homer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Homer »

I sold mine, in similar condition, for $725. Once altered the collectors don't want them, the young guys don't know what they are - or care ("where do you insert the magazine"), and the old guys who do know what they are trying to sell theirs.

BTW, I walked a number of gun shows before it sold. I saw it on a rack three gun shows later - about two months - for a $100 more. I expect by that time it had been at a dozen shows.

Good luck.
"Take everything but the fire." Long Hair in "The Cowboys"
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Agreed. The younger shooters want the AR's and want to shop for all the tactical toys that they can hang off of it. I've noticed the price of levers dropping and seeing a lot more for sale. SAD :cry: , but it's worth what the market will bear.