"Ice Castles"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

"Ice Castles"

Post by Old No7 »

My daughter told my wife about the Ice Castles Website (click here for a link) and once she learned it was just 2+ hours away over in NH, she wanted to go. So we made a winter-weekend out of it, and I got to visit 2 gun shops I hadn't been into in quite awhile and I had some great local brews at dinner too.

"Ice Castles" are also made in Utah, Minnesota, Alberta Canada, plus the one we went to in New Hampshire, and I have to admit it was a fun and unique winter night out. (Did I mention I had local brews before and after?) :wink: But my bride really enjoyed it, so "Happy Wife = Happy Life".

In case you've never heard of these before, here are a few pix to take a look at...

My bride on the way in -- you can tell she's thrilled to be there:
Ice Castles (4) (Small).JPG
There were tunnels and hallways, and the "room" at the end of this pix had a column of ice that went from the ceiling on down:
Ice Castles (5) (Small).JPG
While all the ice looks blue in these pix, the colors would change to red or green too. I guess I liked the look of the blue best! But I did take a panoramic shot using my iPhone and that was cool as the color changed 1/2way during the pan from left to right. I don't have a pix of that on this PC, but here's some icicles hanging down from the ceiling:
Ice Castles (6) (Small).JPG
This large arch was pretty cool -- didn't the Germans march under this a couple of times?
Ice Castles (8) (Small).JPG
You can get a pretty good idea of the size and scale of the ice walls from these shots; if I had to guess, I'd bet the ice walls and structures covered almost 2 acres in size.
Ice Castles (9) (Small).JPG
They had "Epcot" type muzak playing, with various slides built into the walls for kids to play on. This location had a giant slide for adults too, but the line was too long so we passed on that.

I can't say I'm eager to go again, but it was something to check off the bucket list and it made for a fun weekend in a neighboring state. There were kids of all ages, couples, families and groups of teens, all enjoying the ice sculptures, plus it wasn't too cold out. One thing's for sure, while Mother Nature provided all the cold, someone sure went to a whole lot of trouble to do all the wiring & lighting, plus to design and "build" the castles. That part was pretty impressive.

In hindsight, I was probably within an hour's drive of our friend Victor this past weekend, but sadly, I didn't have his number with me. Darn it, a missed opportunity...

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Senior Levergunner

Re: "Ice Castles"

Post by 2571 »

Neat! We have those in the summers too, here in Detroit.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: "Ice Castles"

Post by TedH »

Very cool! :D
NRA Life Member