Watching B&W cowboy channel

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Senior Levergunner

Watching B&W cowboy channel

Post by 2571 »

Cheyenne on right now. Sun sets, Native Americans have cowboys surrounded. 2 Indians start making coyote calls but guys in white hats recognize sounds as phony.

I've seen this 124 times in different, old cowboy movies. Why do the indians always make those sounds at nigh? What are they saying or what does the coyote cry signify? Why aren't they quiet?

Inquiring minds want to know this stuff. I posted this Q my local gun board but no one there is old enough to remember weekly cowboy programs on TV, let alone, B&W television.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Re: Watching B&W cowboy channel

Post by Lastmohecken »

Love the western channel, and I always enjoy watch Clint Walker in westerns.
NRA Life Member, Patron
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

probably like on F troop...where they are in the teepee deliberating what to do about something. the chief asks the medicine man to speak. he says: " My father always said 'eagle fly high over teepee when frost on nose of buffalo !' " they all say how, etc. and nod.....finally the chief says " what does it mean"
medicine man very seriously says " I never knew."

[ disclaimer : I am only 1/16 or more Cherokee.... and we didn't have many buffalo in the eastern mountains after about 1790 or so ]
cable
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

I'm more native than you. I believe the buffalo will return.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I always wondered about Cheyenne...

Seemed like on almost every episode some fellow got killed and Cheyenne got blamed and had to prove his innocence.

I never once heard him say: "Y'know... You all are startin' to pizz me off.. "

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

2571 wrote:I'm more native than you. I believe the buffalo will return.
I hope so !
cable
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

2571 wrote: I've seen this 124 times in different, old cowboy movies. Why do the indians always make those sounds at nigh? What are they saying or what does the coyote cry signify? Why aren't they quiet?
Did ya ever try to sneak around the desert at night? You'd whoop, too, if you sat on a cactus in the dark.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I got cable TV but don't get the cowboy channels. :(

As far as the buffalo, well we've pretty much destroyed the land they need to thrive. There will always be a few around, but never again like they were.

Here's one for you that will stand up to time ...
064small.JPG
067small.JPG

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Did all Indians holler war hoops in falsetto? How come they only smiled when they were skinning someone alive? How come the few that could talk spoke the kings English better than a university English major? Did all Indians mount a horse on the right side?
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

"Indians mount a horse on the right side"

Yes. Hence the equestrian jargon, "Indian broke" for a horse which has been taught to be mounted from the right. Or, today, about a horse trained to accept a rider from either side.

Napoleon Bonaparte was left handed and rode an 'Indian broke" horse because of his sword ( and because he probably could do just about WTH he wanted).

However, I have only one Amerindian relative who keeps horses & she gets on & off like John Wayne & all other cowboy heroes. It was from her I learned the phrase, Indian Broke. Obviously a product of her Yale education.

Don't know if true, but I've read that horses prefer to be worked from the left -- something about their eyesight. Kinda makes sense if terms, 'near' and 'far' sides of a horse have a factual basis.