RELIGION - 'Clean' vs. Unclean' food

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

RELIGION - 'Clean' vs. Unclean' food

Post by BAGTIC »

I wonder how many 'Christians' manage to eat, at least ocassionally, 'unclean' food like catfish, tuna, swordfish, shark, rabbits, squirrels, crab, lobster, shrimp/prawns, clams, scallops, oysters, etc.

How many refuse to eat any 'unclean food.

I also wonder how many would be willing to eat a ritually 'clean' animal like a bat.
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

What difference would that make to a 'Christian?'
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

edwardyoung wrote:What difference would that make to a 'Christian?'
To a Christian, it makes no difference. There is no biblicaly "clean" or "unclean" food for Christians.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Edwardy,
There you go, shillin' for religion! :roll:
Denis
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

DPris wrote:Edwardy,
There you go, shillin' for religion! :roll:
Denis
Christian shill. I'll take that. :)
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I wonder how many 'Christians' manage to eat, at least ocassionally, 'unclean' food like catfish, tuna, swordfish, shark, rabbits, squirrels, crab, lobster, shrimp/prawns, clams, scallops, oysters, etc.

How many refuse to eat any 'unclean food.

I also wonder how many would be willing to eat a ritually 'clean' animal like a bat.
Since this is an obvious attempt to gain "MUCH NEEDED" attention, I'll give you some.

Why don't you go find some real life "face to face" conversation to discuss your religous / lack thereof "beliefs."

You really come off as desperate for validation in your own life, and wouldn't you know it...the saying "misery loves company" starts to come to mind.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

:wink:
Denis
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Unclean food? Unclean food? Naw, I wash all my food before I eat it.

Criminy....

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

:roll:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

This is a very weird question. There is no clean or unclean food for Christians. That is from the old law for the Jewish nation. All is given to us who believe in the Son as our Savior. Blessings
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

rjohns already said it well.

I am a Christian and I only stay away from food if it tastes bad.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
JohnnyReb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnnyReb »

Bat Tic
You left off the most common which is pork.

I would suggest that before making such statements that you may want to be more familiar with the subject.

Peter voiced an objection to sharing the food of Gentiles in violation of Jewish law. The Lord told, as showed, Peter that the prohibition was now relieved.
Redneck suicide note: Here, hold my beer and watch this!!
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

The next day as they were pursuing their journey and were approaching the city, Peter went up to the housetop about the sixth hour to pray. But he became very hungry and wanted to eat. While they were preparing, he fell into a trance and beheld heaven opened and some sort of vessel descending like a great linen sheet being let down by its four extremities upon the earth; and in it there were all sorts of four-footed creatures and creeping things of the earth and birds of heaven. And a voice came to him: “Rise, Peter, slaughter and eat!â€
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

I have eaten snake, goanna, bandicoot, silk worms and balut* to name a few oddities that come to mind. I'd be happy to try bat, particularly a flying fox/fruit bat.

* "Balut" is an incubated duck egg with a developed embryo of 17 to 19 days which is boiled and eaten. It is a Filipino delicacy.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

All pointlessness aside... I'm still trying to figure out what makes tuna, swordfish, shark, rabbits, squirrels "unclean"? :?:
Slow is just slow.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Swordfish and shark have no scales.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Rusty, I just have to say,we knew it was coming, some folks just won't quit. There are enough Bible reading,believing Christians here to make this a fine place.
Ganjiro, thanks for the scripture from the book of Acts, I was going to write that on the horse meat post but didn't want to type it all out with two fingers.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

cas wrote:All pointlessness aside... I'm still trying to figure out what makes tuna, swordfish, shark, rabbits, squirrels "unclean"? :?:
Tuna are clean they have scales. The restriction was mainly directed at bottom-feeders (no scales) such as eels, catfish, shellfish, etc. which had a higher likelyhood of disease.
As far as mammals to be clean they had to have cloven (split) hooves and a cud-chewer. Rodents have/do neither, pigs had the split hooves but not a cud chewer, rabbits, horses, and camels chew cud but no cloven hooves so unclean these animals also more likely to be diseased. These eating restrictions done away with along with the Mosaic law covenant with the coming of the new Christian Messianic law covenant in effect since Christs ransom sacrifice.
The only eating restriction in effect since Noah's time, and emphasized again to Christians at Acts 15;19, 20 is to abstain from blood which is not unclean but holy and belonging only to GOD be it animal or human.
Last edited by GANJIRO on Sun May 04, 2008 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Ji pretty much nailed it!
oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldmax »

meanc Profound statement, +1..

Why here on this forum , ? , Why did I read this post, "me stupid" !!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Andrew wrote:rjohns already said it well.

+1 - though I must admit there are plenty of foods I really enjoy on the way in that my body really lets me know it doesn't care for on the "way out". :shock:

Was my son's birthday Friday, and by tradition, the birthday person picks the meal. He chose steak and king crab legs. My wife cooked them and it was better than any restaurant meal. A chip off the ol' block!!! :D
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Heck, I thought he meant whether or not you "gut" it before chew'n on it! Personally I always "gut" my food before I eat it, therefore I presume it's cleaned.
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

The "five second rule" applies in my house in regard to unclean food.

Of course you really don't have that long due to a couple of alert Labradors. :wink:
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

what a waste of a good forum.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
bigfred44
Levergunner

Post by bigfred44 »

This topic is not a waste of space, the only way that space is wasted is by the people that don't have anything intelligent to say but feel they must post some type of complaint about anything religious. I don't normally like to discuss religion on the internet but couldn't help myself on this topic since I do try to follow the health laws, Gods word clearly states that a person can not be defiled by eating what is considered unclean animals but if you look at the creatures that were once forbidden to eat it is plain to see that they all are probably good to try to avoid, for instance catfish they are bottom feeders if there are any toxins present in the body of water being fished common sense would tell you that they would be in greater quantities in a garbage gut, the health laws also say not to eat the fat, ever heard a doctor say to not eat fat? no you won't go to hell over a pork chop but if you don't get it cooked completely you are exposing you're family and self to all kinds of neat diseases, Gods word is not just for spiritual guidance many things are taught there like one of my favorites -the need for a day of rest so you don't have to feel guilty for the time you spend wasting space on the internet.

Fred.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Scales or not, sharks and sword fish aren't bottom feeders. See... there goes religion again, lumping everyone all together. Poor discriminated against swordfish.:wink:
"Mmmm... swordfish."

Do the have squirrels in the middle east?
Slow is just slow.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

THe mosaic laws about food... clean unclean or such were cancelled out by the death of out saviour. about the only food restrictions for Christians would be taking of blood for sustinence (acts 20 20)

Those food proabitions were to keep a distinction between the Jews and the nations around them... they also provided some health protection based on the way food was processed back in ancient times

Hill
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

cas wrote: Do the have squirrels in the middle east?
Talk about a loaded question.......
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Travis Morgan wrote:
cas wrote: Do the have squirrels in the middle east?
Talk about a loaded question.......
:lol: :lol: :lol: !If only they would eat Skwerls in the middle east...Carter(Great Peanut) could stay home. :lol: !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Andrew wrote:rjohns already said it well.

Got a touch of diabetes - the doc has me on a diet that lets me eat anything I want BUT I have to spit it out if it tastes good! Stupid doctors... :)
Tom
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

For anyone with a religious objection to eating pork, or those of you that like sausage, and love beef, Brown and Serve has come out with an EXCELLENT beef breakfast sausage. It's a darn sight better than most link sausages, and is kinda peppery. VERY GOOD STUFF!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

The natural principles which were the underlying reason for the Mosaic laws did not change with the first advent of Christ. Meaning, scavengers are still not really a healthy thing to eat, even using modern cooking methods. However, as Ganjiro pointed out, Paul also laid down some principles that involve not insulting your host, and the power of prayer. I belong to a faith that advocates vegetarianism. I won't discourage a person from that, but they also need to realise that some people require more protien than can be obtained, and the ol rice an beans don't quite cut it, and are short on some essential aminos. Which is why they tend to use amino additives. Also, many of these vegetarians will load up on the dairy products, which ain't exactly healthy, particularly if you are sedentary. I can live off fats, most people cannot. I can drink bacon grease for 2 days before a checkup and show low cholesterol, it's genetic. However if I don't get animal protiens, I suffer greatly.

Basically, an animal is going to be made up of it's diet. We know this because deer will taste very different depending on feed. If any of you have eaten true free range beef, like a steer that was butchered right off the range, you know how much different it tastes than if it had been fed corn for 2 months. I have seen pigs eat everything from rattlesnakes to plastic bags and popcans and dead carcasses. There are tales of people recieving snake bite poisoning from pigs that ate rattlesnake. Bottom feeders eat all the refuse and decomposing creatures, not to mention all the pollutants in the water now.

So, my personal philosophy is to avoid purposely tempting God by eating those animals he warned us about, but if I end up with a porkchop or bacon on my plate at someones table, I know that it is blessed through prayer and therefor fit to eat.

I would also encourage folks to buy thier beef locally from a rancher, not the meat markets if at all possible.

Most importantly ask the Lords blessing no matter what you eat, and give thanks.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

sore shoulder wrote:Most importantly ask the Lords blessing no matter what you eat, and give thanks.
Amen.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

With modern food prep and refridgeration, we need not worry about any of that anyway, even the Jewish admonitions....they were all for food and health safety, anyway........The Chinese has it right: If it walks with it's back to heaven, it's good to eat.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

bigfred44 wrote:This topic is not a waste of space, the only way that space is wasted is by the people that don't have anything intelligent to say but feel they must post some type of complaint about anything religious. I don't normally like to discuss religion on the internet but couldn't help myself on this topic since I do try to follow the health laws, Gods word clearly states that a person can not be defiled by eating what is considered unclean animals but if you look at the creatures that were once forbidden to eat it is plain to see that they all are probably good to try to avoid, for instance catfish they are bottom feeders if there are any toxins present in the body of water being fished common sense would tell you that they would be in greater quantities in a garbage gut, the health laws also say not to eat the fat, ever heard a doctor say to not eat fat? no you won't go to hell over a pork chop but if you don't get it cooked completely you are exposing you're family and self to all kinds of neat diseases, Gods word is not just for spiritual guidance many things are taught there like one of my favorites -the need for a day of rest so you don't have to feel guilty for the time you spend wasting space on the internet.

Fred.
I see you made your contribution... :wink: :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson