Making my own cap & ball wads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Making my own cap & ball wads

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Well, as much as I was dragged kicking and screaming into this century, I have found some uses for the new things so popular today. One of them is YouTube videos. Sure, there are millions of mindless videos out there, but also some very interesting and informative stuff. One of my favorites is from Mike Beliveau, known on YouTube as “duelist54”. I subscribe to his channel and always enjoy his videos.

For those who don’t know who he is, Mike Beliveau is the Blackpowder Editor for “Guns of the Old West” magazine (my favorite periodical, hands down). 

I saw this video from Mike and thought to myself, “I can do that!” Since getting back into shooting my cap & ball blackpowder revolvers, now I’m looking to do other things related to this passion. You’ve all seen my cartridge box creations. I figured making my own cap & ball lubricated wads would be simple and fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgNVPC2wmWI

And it was! 

Well, after I finally got around to it! Like so many other projects in my life, by the time I got around to collecting everything I needed, something else came up (usually work-related), so my project sat. For months. Many months.

Well, last week I decided to do this over lunch. It really was very easy. I just had to wait for a day when I was in my home office, had a free lunch – and SWMBO was out so I didn’t get in trouble for messing up, or stinking up, her “workshop”!!!

First thing I did was melt the lamb’s tallow in the microwave.

I then mixed in the beeswax pellets into the tallow and put it back the microwave. As Mike notes, using the beeswax pellets makes them very easy to mix in.

Unfortunately I could not locate my wife’s kitchen scale, so I just eye-balled it.

I decided that I would do the actual work in my garage. Call this just taking the precaution against a mess I didn’t want to deal with – or hear about! This is the beeswax-lamb’s tallow mixture, melted, then poured into tin-foil pan, ready for felt sheet:

I purchased the stiff/tick felt sheet from the source Mike recommends (Durofelt), and cut it into the size to fit the tin pan. Here’s the first felt sheet soaking up the mixture:

I had laid out cardboard on my garage floor, and then wax paper. Here are the soaked felt sheets drying on wax paper in garage:

I learned two things very quickly. First, this eats up quite a bit of the lambs tallow and beeswax. I didn’t get nearly as many sheets as I thought I would. Second, you need to work very fast, because the mixture starts to cool and set up quickly. I ended up taking my tin foil pan back into the kitchen and heating it up in the oven twice to get all of it used up.

A couple days later (it sets up much faster than that, but again, it was just when I got around to it), I set up in my basement to actually punch out the wads. I used an old cutting board my wife had given me, heavy mallet, and starting punching the sheet:

This is where it gets very economical. You can get a ton of wads out of these small sheets. Ox-yoke brand, which are great, usually run anywhere from $9.99 - $14.99 for a bag of 100. This whole set up with pay for itself in about 7 bags, and I’ll have countless more after that from the initial investment! 

Here’s the first 100 .36-caliber wads with the punch in the middle:

And now the same 100 put into a bag for storage:

Lastly, my current inventory of punches along with a sample cut wad for each:

Easy and fun!!! 
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Making my own cap & ball wads

Post by gamekeeper »

Projects like that are what makes black powder shooting much more interesting. Even though I do very little black powder shooting nowadays, I am always looking for stuff to put in my possible's bag, just in case.
Nice work Jay, you are a lot more organised than me, your projects (except for 37mm launchers) always turn out very professional looking... :mrgreen:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Thanks YK! I read your post, looked at the pictures and then viewed the video. I already have the stirrup punches so I am good to go.

I've been making my own lube for years from toilet bowl waxes and olive oil so I think that will work for me. My lube works fine at anything below 100 degrees but starts to run when left in the sun on a hot day. It can get well over 100 here, (northeast Oklahoma) during July, August and September. Just wondering what the temp for the lamb's tallow/beeswax has to be for it to run? Any idea?
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've read where the foam trays they pack meat with make good wads (after being washed properly).
They cut them out with a properly size piece spent brass.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Very interesting post! :D

I too have used felt wads saturated in homemade lube. I must be awfully cheap because I don't soak the whole felt sheet before cutting the wads as I don't want to waste lube. I cut the wads, then spearing them individually on a pin, I dip each wad in the melted lube, then deposit them onto a sheet of waxed paper to set up. Not as fast as your method, but the end result is the same.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Excellent post, thanks for sharing. 8)
NRA Life Member
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Makin your own possibles is part of the fun of BP. Good job!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Shasta wrote:Very interesting post! :D

I too have used felt wads saturated in homemade lube. I must be awfully cheap because I don't soak the whole felt sheet before cutting the wads as I don't want to waste lube. I cut the wads, then spearing them individually on a pin, I dip each wad in the melted lube, then deposit them onto a sheet of waxed paper to set up. Not as fast as your method, but the end result is the same.

Shasta
I had considered that as well, since I too hate the idea of wasting the lube on the part of the sheet I'll have to throw away. As you see from the photo, I try to squeeze out as many wads as possible per sheet, leaving as little room as I can between them. I figure that the lube will be better on pre-punched wads then dipped as well. Not much, but better. I must admit though that punching the sheet after it has absorbed the lube and dried is like pushing a hot knife through butter. The lube makes it easier to punch them, not that punching them dry is overly hard.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Since I don't do these things I should have a free pass on dumb questions :D . Why can't you cut the wads out and just throw them in the pan to soak? Then there wouldn't be any waste.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Jay, looks like your feeling better. Just a thought but you might could get an electric hot pad and put under the pan to keep things liquid while working. I need to do the same thing myself. Where did you get your punches from? I know Dixie used to sell them but haven't checked there catalog lately. I need to get out and do some forge work so I can get busy on another rifle. But my breathing still won't allow it. Don't know what the bug going around this year is but I don't want to see it again. Oh let us know how they work at the range.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Hey Jay, I see you're keeping busy supporting the "Sorority House" (chock full of nipples) you have with your growing BP collection.

Save yourself some efforts... Mount that punch in a low-speed drill press, with a solid board underneath -- and let the drill press do all the work! Plus, I'll bet you can get 10% to 15% more wads per sheet by being able to place & cut the punch that much closer to the others.

Less waste, less effort and probably less time too! I'd call that a win/win for sure.

You can thank me later, when you buy the next gun I sell. :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

harry wrote:Since I don't do these things I should have a free pass on dumb questions :D . Why can't you cut the wads out and just throw them in the pan to soak? Then there wouldn't be any waste.
Not a dumb question at all. That was the point of my discussion with Shasta above. You could do this, but it requires a bit more effort to punch (not much and less using OldNo7's drill press idea), and a way to pull them out without making a mess (and wasting more of the lube that way). Plus the need to work super fast before the mix sets up. Now I'm thinking of incorporating hondo1892' s hot pad idea and a simple strainer, since the mix will stay fluid. :)
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

hondo1892 wrote:Jay, looks like your feeling better. Just a thought but you might could get an electric hot pad and put under the pan to keep things liquid while working. I need to do the same thing myself. Where did you get your punches from? I know Dixie used to sell them but haven't checked there catalog lately. I need to get out and do some forge work so I can get busy on another rifle. But my breathing still won't allow it. Don't know what the bug going around this year is but I don't want to see it again. Oh let us know how they work at the range.
Still not 100%. This virus just takes it out of you like there is no tomorrow and it lingers for months. I hope you are feeling better soon.

I really like your hot plate idea. I will use that for sure!:)

I picked up the punches from various souces, thus the differences in them I got a couple off ebay, and one from Amazon. I'd start there first.

I want to pick up a 12 gauge punch, so now I need to look again!:)

Good luck!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old No7 wrote:Hey Jay, I see you're keeping busy supporting the "Sorority House" (chock full of nipples) you have with your growing BP collection.

Save yourself some efforts... Mount that punch in a low-speed drill press, with a solid board underneath -- and let the drill press do all the work! Plus, I'll bet you can get 10% to 15% more wads per sheet by being able to place & cut the punch that much closer to the others.

Less waste, less effort and probably less time too! I'd call that a win/win for sure.

Old No7
You are always looking out for me, aren't you? ;)

Yep, nothing but the best for my "ladies".

I'm looking for a Baby Dragoon reproduction. Have one of them? :)
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
Old No7 wrote:Hey Jay, I see you're keeping busy supporting the "Sorority House" (chock full of nipples) you have with your growing BP collection.

Old No7
You are always looking out for me, aren't you? ;)

Yep, nothing but the best for my "ladies".

I'm looking for a Baby Dragoon reproduction. Have one of them? :)
Oh, and I will try the drill press idea too!
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
KiwiKev
Levergunner 2.0

Post by KiwiKev »

What is the advantage of a wad for cap and ball? In my club quite a few members shoot Remington 1858s out to 25m and 50m with good groups. The usual combo is 18grains of black powder, then a little semolina to about 3mm from the top of the chamber. Then a good dose vasoline on top of that. Maybe the wad is less messy. One advantage of the semolina is the range ends up smelling like home cooking!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

harry wrote:One of these might work:
https://www.zoro.com/process-heater-elements/c/7836/
That would work! :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

KiwiKev wrote:What is the advantage of a wad for cap and ball? In my club quite a few members shoot Remington 1858s out to 25m and 50m with good groups. The usual combo is 18grains of black powder, then a little semolina to about 3mm from the top of the chamber. Then a good dose vasoline on top of that. Maybe the wad is less messy. One advantage of the semolina is the range ends up smelling like home cooking!
I am no expert by any means, despite my rather large sorority! :wink: My understanding is that a wad or lube is used for two primary purposes: to prevent (or minimize the chances of) a chain-fire caused by a spark accessing the charge through the front of the chamber (versus a spark igniting another non-aligned cylinder through a loosely-fitted percussion cap on that chamber at the rear of the cylinder), and to keep the black powder fouling soft. I know I used to use Crisco dapped on the top of the seated ball, and it did the exact same things. Problem was it was messy - especially when it was hot outside. I think you hit the nail on the head; the lubricated wad is just easier to use and not nearly as messy. :D
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Excellent stuff.

It has been two whole months since I made smoke and it is soon gonna be corrected!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've been using lubed wads in my 1851s for 30 years, this month. I found the easiest way to was order them from Dixie Gun Works. My arm doesn't get tired from lifting that heavy mallet (mine's wood), no mashed thumbs, and best of all, no waste! Secondly, cost, the cost of the tallow, bee's wax, and labor add up to more'n the $8.95/100 Dixie gets! Sometimes I get them on special, usually order at least 1,000 at a time, sometimes more if I'm flush!

Oh yea, you can buy the punches at Tandy Leather also.

It certainly is a LOT less messy than the dab of grease (of whatever type you might like), over the front of the chamber. I've shot several multi day matches with no bother. Lubed wads keep the fouling soft enough.

How much are you sellin' yours for? Hint, hint!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

They shot conicals way back when & didnt use wads...I shoot a .452"180gr SWC with the bottom band sized .450" & lubed with SPG from my Lyman lubrisizer in a 44 cal 1858 New Army clone...No mess.. Makes a perfect seal every time.. Never a cross fire .. I did have to shave the loading arch a smidge so the bullet would clear enough to set perfect under the rammer.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Good Post!! I use felt wads because that what Elmer said to use in Sixguns. 8) . I also use them in My Pedersoli 12ga muzzleloader , one over the powder one over the shot. Big Boom, Big Fun.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

How much lube is soaked up? Just one piece of .125 durofelt per one pound of wax/tallow?
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

2571 wrote:How much lube is soaked up? Just one piece of .125 durofelt per one pound of wax/tallow?
I got 5 full sheets plus a half sheet and a couple small squares. I will probably not let them soak as long for the next batch. The half sheet has produced 100 .36-caliber wads + many 20-gauge, .44-caliber, and .31-caliber wads - and I'm still not through with it! :)

I agree with Griff that this is not necessarily a lot cheaper when you factor everything in, but it sure is a lot more fun! :)
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

This is what I'm talking about
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY