Homesteadparts.com offers barrels for Winchesters...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Homesteadparts.com offers barrels for Winchesters...

Post by kaschi »

…so who is manufacturing them? The only thing mentioned is that these are made by "two very talented gentlemen who specialize in Winchester restoration." I was just wondering who these guys are. A couple of names come to mind but it would only be speculation on my part.
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Re: Homesteadparts.com offers barrels for Winchesters...

Post by Mike Hunter »

I have seen them advertised, but have not had one in my hands.
Many of you know, I make barrels for the old Winchesters, there is no way that I can make a barrel for what they are charging, heck, my blanks cost me nearly that much.

I’ve talked with a couple of other folks making barrels for Winchesters, we’re all kinda scratching our heads over the price.

As most of you know, Winchester changed quite a few things over the course of production, so an early model 76 barrel will have a different shank size, rifling (5 grove v. 6), and barrel weight and address vs a later production 76. Much the same for the other models. One of the reasons a good reproduction barrel costs more.

But if anyone has had firsthand experience with these, I would like to hear about it.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Homesteadparts.com offers barrels for Winchesters...

Post by coyote nose »

I have 2 of these barrels. I bought one via ebay directly from the maker in Florida for an 1890 Winchester I was rebuilding (turned it into a pistol grip version then after polishing sent it off to Turnbull). (The fellow in Montana who made the WONDERFUL barrel for my 1886 in 33 WCF was no longer in business, so I needed a new source.) The 1890 barrel was in 22 short and the workmanship was superb. In the white, nice finish, perfect markings, it was even timed perfectly regarding the threads, tightened up by hand about 1/10 of a turn shy of where it needed to be. The barrel wrench did the final tightening. Dovetails were right on, everything as it should be. It was the accuracy that caused me to put a different barrel on, and frankly I am not sure I can blame the barrel. Ive owned about 6 or 7 1890 Winchesters. One in 22 WRF averaged 1" on the bench (3 shot 50 yds), but the rest were much worse. This barrel on my 1890 did about 2+ inches at 50 yards, which disappointed me since I expected much better with a new barrel.
So I pulled off the barrel and ordered one in 22 LR from Homestead. These are made by the same guy in Florida. This version was blued. Beautiful barrel, again all work was flawless. This one tightened up by hand a bit too far to tighten with the wrench. I had to chuck it up in a four jaw in the lathe and take a few thousandths off the shoulder, no big deal. Once again however I am disappointed by the accuracy. I can just barely get an under 2" average (5 shot) with one brand of ammo (Rem Thunderbolt) but with a custom gun I want better. I should add I use a tang sight and am expecting maybe 1" to 1 1/2" average at 50 yards. So am I spoiled by the 22 WRF and most 1890s are not accurate? I am currently looking for another LR barrel. Green Mountains are too large across the flats and I dont feel like milling any round barrels to octagon. Anyway I'll post pics later this week if I remember how. As far as the other barrels he makes I have no experience.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958