When Should One Think of Rotating Inventory

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

When Should One Think of Rotating Inventory

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Know that this has been brought up quite often, but could not find a string.

At about what point do think it would be wise to let items go?

The other day I was rummaging around in my office closet and stubbed my toe on a box. Quite apparent that it was not an empty box. It turned out to have a brand new (a box inside a box) Winchester 1895 .405 Take down in it. I mean it is BRAND NEW. Checking my records...I purchased this firearm back in July of 2006...darn near ten years ago!

Right next to it was another non descript, brown shipping box...inside and still in the original factory box is a Browning Model 71...BRAND SPANKING NEW! Records show that I purchased this in August of 2006.

I do know that at the time I was definitely planning on using them as I have both Hornady and Lee die sets for them, but other commitments and obligations must have taken precedence. And that is not the only one...found a Winchester 94 Big Bore .356 still in the box buried further in the closet...and a BRAND NEW .375 BB barrel in a Winchester tube. Digging further...found my Ruger 77 Deluxe Scoped .300 Win Mag...last time I used that one was back in the early '90's out in Montana.

Question is...sell 'em or keep 'em?
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Re: When Should One Think of Rotating Inventory

Post by Bronco »

Do you need the money ? Do you need the money to make another purchase? If not why sell ?
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Seems almost like free guns to me. Unless I needed the money, I'd keep em but put them where I could see them so you won't forget you have them.
Look at the fun you could have been having for the last ten years. Who knows, they could be your favorite rifles and you don't know it yet.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

I thought I was alone in this infliction ! once I found a rifle under the mattress in the guest bed room....could not recall ever buying it !! [ I was in my mid30s at the time ] could have sworn a burglar broke in and left it --- just to make my wife made at me !! eventually remembered how and when I got it.

keep 'em....especially that 356 winchester
cable
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

CONGRATULATIONS...!!!

YOU are the lucky winner among thousands of randomly-selected contestants...!!!

AJMD429 Cleaning Company will perform a FREE cleaning and termite inspection of your house and any outbuildings.

We do sometimes work with cleaning solutions that are hazardous, so we will perform this wonderful free service for you when your family is safely away on vacation.

Just let us know, and we will send a crew... :D :D :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I agree with OldWin though.

And I think I'd keep NIB goodies like that stored in a safe.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I'll take a little different angle at it. If you forgot you even had them, they are obviously not used, and really aren't items of a collector either. While I use all my guns, some are collectable, and I enjoy them. Need the money or not, I'd say sell them, and let someone else get the enjoyment out of them.
NRA Life Member
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Look at good guns as money in the bank. They are better than money in the bank because no one knows you have them, they accumulate interest and value more than money, you can play/shoot/show off with them and one day when you need some bucks just put a price tag that is 10% lower than the same gun that's advertised wherever and sell it. Just pocket the bucks along with the added value and you don't have to tell the Feds. With 10,000 more ragheads coming from Syria, the Feds need the interest from banks.

Remember....good guns.------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Sixgun wrote:Look at good guns as money in the bank. They are better than money in the bank because no one knows you have them, they accumulate interest and value more than money, you can play/shoot/show off with them and one day when you need some bucks just put a price tag that is 10% lower than the same gun that's advertised wherever and sell it. Just pocket the bucks along with the added value and you don't have to tell the Feds. With 10,000 more ragheads coming from Syria, the Feds need the interest from banks.

Remember....good guns.------6
Thanks for reminding me...forgot that as an investment guns are not a capital gain or income.

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

What 6 said plus make those investments in 1st or 2nd gen Colt SAAs. I added the 2nd gens 'cause I noticed this year the 2nds seem to be gaining value maybe faster than 1st gens.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I've been around here a long time. Because I remember when you picked of the model 71 and trying to talk you out of that 356 BB.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Just the fact that you're finding all these rifles like people find change in their sofa is annoying as heck.
Yes, that's jealousy. :lol:
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

OTH,
Sounds like you may need to spend more time in your closet! :)
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

BenT wrote:I've been around here a long time. Because I remember when you picked of the model 71 and trying to talk you out of that 356 BB.
Geez...had to knock the cobwebs out of my head...yep do remember that. Been foundling the .356 for the last couple of days...just might take her out for a spin.

This is the picture of her the day I brought her home...back in '05.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

On the other hand, are you sure those aren't your son's guns? Dad? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Griff wrote:On the other hand, are you sure those aren't your son's guns? Dad? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:
This is my son's gun that was still in the closet: