Any 358 winchester lovers?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Any 358 winchester lovers?

Post by wvfarrier »

I've already got a BLR in 358 which is an amazing all around rifle. I load .357 mag pistol projectiles for small game and deer. 200 grain TTSX for bear and hogs. But I'm ordering parts to build an AR10 chambered in 358. My question is.....for anyone with knowledge....can it handle higher pressure rounds than the BLR. I know.most factory 358 loads are fairly Meek and it can effectively and safely be pushed with more authority.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Re: Any 358 winchester lovers?

Post by Mainehunter »

I picked one up last summer a Savage 99F. It was my brothers and he had it for a very long time. I thought he would never part with it unit he got a hold of my Savage 99A in 375 Win. I'm no expert but I would say the strength level is equal comparing the BLR to AR10 in a 358 Win. Their bolt lock up is similar in a way but I think the number of locking lugs are different.

Mainehunter :wink:
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

The pressures for a .358 don't get anywhere near the pressures for the .308 that the AR10 is designed for.

I'd guess that there's probably no issue.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I've always wanted a 358 Win. Maybe someday it will happen. BTW, why do some boxes of 358 ammo have the designation "8.8 Millimeter" on them? I understand that would be the diameter/caliber, but is that what the 358 is called in Europe?
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

I always preferred the 356WIN myself. It takes 200gr bullets up over 2500fps easily and is in one nifty LEVERACTION carbine.
And so it goes...
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I am sure your AR10 will handle load that are to Nato specs. I would have a way to identify those loads so you won't use them in your BLR. I too, am waiting on a barrel for my AR10, in 358 win.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Thunder50 wrote:I am sure your AR10 will handle load that are to Nato specs. I would have a way to identify those loads so you won't use them in your BLR.
I would not say that. The BLR can handle all NATO/SAAMI spec loads. They are basically bolt action rifles. My buddy has been running that hot surplus 7.62 made for machine guns for years. It's stupid accurate in that rifle.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Tycer wrote:
Thunder50 wrote:I am sure your AR10 will handle load that are to Nato specs. I would have a way to identify those loads so you won't use them in your BLR.
I would not say that. The BLR can handle all NATO/SAAMI spec loads. They are basically bolt action rifles. My buddy has been running that hot surplus 7.62 made for machine guns for years. It's stupid accurate in that rifle.
Ha! Then I go and educamate myself on NATO 7.62 specs and find that even the "hot"(not) linked ammo my buddy uses is just 4:1 M80/M62 from the 80s and is loaded to NATO spec which is less than SAAMI.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Terry Murbach wrote:I always preferred the 356WIN myself. It takes 200gr bullets up over 2500fps easily and is in one nifty LEVERACTION carbine.
And so it goes...
+1. The .356WCF in BigBore 94 is my "HOLY GRAIL" of hunting rifles. It put the great .348WCF. in a Winchester 94! It don't get much better than that :D
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

So, does anyone know the story about the "8.8mm" designation?
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

kaschi wrote:So, does anyone know the story about the "8.8mm" designation?
It is just the European designation for the .358 Win=8.8x51mm

-------J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I'd love to get a .358

In fact, my "Uber Drilling" would be a 3" 12x12 over .358 with chamber sleeves to let me shoot .38/.357/(.360 Wesson?) + 16ga & 20ga as well...

Sigh...
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

wvfarrier / Thunder50,

Are you guys waiting on or buying full uppers or just barrels?

Where are you getting them from?

:?:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.