Knife talk: Marbles' 'military' picket knife

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Knife talk: Marbles' 'military' picket knife

Post by wecsoger »

Had vacation days, wife and I spent some quality time in Pigeon Forge, TN. For those who don't know, Smoky Mountain Knife Works is in the area, one of the ultimate 'guy' stores. Name a knife brand, they probably carry it.

Sad state of affairs though, so much is now stamped or laser engraved with 'made in china'.

This is the Marbles copy of the famous military 'demo' knife. I'll leave it for you to look up the 'demo' part.

It's a good copy. Reasonably sharp out of the box. Haven't had a chance to try the bottle opener or can opener. As far as the last, need to put an edge on that for better can cutting. The awl point was boogered from incorrect grinding and I touched that up. Scales on this one seem a little thinner than my old classic Camillus.

$6.99 plus tax and title out the door.

It will go in my carry bag, with a braided up paracord lanyard, looped to a firesteel. For that, it works perfectly.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Knife talk: Marbles' 'military' picket knife

Post by Blaine »

Those are handy...Marbles is a high quality item.... I've got a Camillus.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Camillus is the 'gold standard' maker of these types of knives. I was heart broken when they shut down the American side and now they're all over seas.

I don't know if I would say Marbles is 'high quality', but at least as far as this knife, more than worth the price.

Rather than have one very good, very expensive knife, I'm content with having several pretty good, less expensive ones.

One of the deputies I used to work with came in at shift change almost cryiing, he had lost of the those hundred dollar plus special survival/law enforcement/survival pocket knives out on a traffic stop on the interstate.

I gave him the one I had, quick open serrated blade, rips through a seat belt like wet paper, got a huge handful for three dollars apiece at a gun show.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

wecsoger wrote:Camillus is the 'gold standard' maker of these types of knives. I was heart broken when they shut down the American side and now they're all over seas.

I don't know if I would say Marbles is 'high quality', but at least as far as this knife, more than worth the price.

Rather than have one very good, very expensive knife, I'm content with having several pretty good, less expensive ones.

One of the deputies I used to work with came in at shift change almost cryiing, he had lost of the those hundred dollar plus special survival/law enforcement/survival pocket knives out on a traffic stop on the interstate.

I gave him the one I had, quick open serrated blade, rips through a seat belt like wet paper, got a huge handful for three dollars apiece at a gun show.
Indeed.....I have some that never leave the house, too...but, I take moderately priced for EDC....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Yes I was pretty blue when Marbles shut down in Gladstone but dang happy that I have
a bunch of their USA knives, have not tried the china brand

Brad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

ollogger wrote:Yes I was pretty blue when Marbles shut down in Gladstone but dang happy that I have
a bunch of their USA knives, have not tried the china brand

Brad
:( I sadly concede that Chinese Old Timers, Schrade are pretty good.....I still don't like it.... :evil:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I carried one just like that when I was Air Crewman in the Navy. I brought mine home from Guam in 1960, when I was Discharged. A few years later, I snapped the main blade in half.

I see them in the catalog, I guess I'll have to buy one. Mine was stamped USN. This one most likely is stamped, "Marbles".
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I sent one (wasn't made in China) to a friend in Viet Nam in the late '60s. He said it came in real handy many times and didn't rust...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Live in MI. Word here is that Marbles failed to keep up with modern marketing. For instance, they kept putting bottle openers on pocket knives 10 years after twist-off caps became universal.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

This picture is the other side for the previous poster wondering what was stamped there.

And yes, the utility of a bottle opener isn't what it used to be. But don't discount the "cool factor" when you have to pop open a bottle of craft beer and you whip out your classic looking pocket knife.

Also works well as an FN FAL gas tube nut wrench.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

2571 wrote:Live in MI. Word here is that Marbles failed to keep up with modern marketing. For instance, they kept putting bottle openers on pocket knives 10 years after twist-off caps became universal.
Every so often, I run into a bottle top that won't yield to arthritic fingers.... :wink:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

BlaineG wrote:
2571 wrote:Live in MI. Word here is that Marbles failed to keep up with modern marketing. For instance, they kept putting bottle openers on pocket knives 10 years after twist-off caps became universal.
Every so often, I run into a bottle top that won't yield to arthritic fingers.... :wink:
I just use a bic lighter.
Phil
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

1894 wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
I just use a bic lighter.
Not many smoke....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I've got a couple of Navy Camillus dated in the 60's.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

wecsoger wrote:[The bottle opener] also works well as an FN FAL gas tube nut wrench.

All they needed was a Marketing Guy to put "gas tube wrench" on the box, raise the price a dollar, and put "New Tactical Finish" in front of the color...then they would have stayed in business.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "