Scoping An Antique Levergun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Scoping An Antique Levergun

Post by Sixgun »

A post of education and knowledge. :D

My good friend from the other side of the state of Pennsylvania, Tom (Foodwannabe) got my small Italian/German brain on a drum roll with his recent post on his friend, his chocolate lab.....anyway, like Tom, I had this Parsons scope mount for a year or so and didn't do much but look at it when I was bored...(no drill...no tap :D .......so........Mr. Tom inspired myself today so I got that baby out and did some Italian ingenuity on it today and made it fit a Winchester Model 53 in 25-20.

This mount is designed for a '94 carbine and beings that the 94 and 92 are pretty much close I gave it a shot. The 53 has a dovetail closer to the receiver than a regular full length 1892. Had to do a minor alternation with the drill press but I'm sure anyone with a small to mediocre amount of common sense can do the same thing with a file. Who knows, maybe the guys who make this thing have already done the work for guys like me, the peons of America.

Anyway, I stuck this 2.5X Leupold Scout scope I had laying around on it as you need the extended eye relief for cartridge ejection and took the whole works out to a place behind the barn today and gave it it workout with mild loads....loud loads gets the cops here mighty quick. This baby works just fine and it looks like I'm gonna order me a few more for various 1894's and other 1892's that adorn the gun room.
Scopes will keep me shootin these old leverguns without damaging the value. So maybe, it all that bad getting old. :D -----6

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Scoping An Antique Levergun

Post by cshold »

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Dang! You got one too! I can't believe I let this scope mount languish for at least a year. The guy who makes these things ought to advertise more as there are millions of old leverguns that could use a scope. He also ought to make em for 1886's too.------6

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Cool project Jack. Gotta love ingenuity.

The guy that makes those posted them on the scout rifle forum a couple years ago. If you like, I can try and PM him to see if he can/does make them for other models. If he has enough interest, maybe he will consider it.

Anyway, when he hears ole Sixgun is usin' em, I bet he will want to do a Signature Series. :D
See, you got your retirement income lined up already. :D

Just hackin' on ya bud. Clever project. I like the idea of that on a 92 myself.

Jay
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Jay,
Let me inform you brother......it ain't fun getting old...well....semi old. I just got back from out behind the barn with that 53. I learned something that I swore was not my fault....accuracy at longer ranges.

I never could get that 53 to shoot much better than 4" or so at 100 meters with the gas check 70 gr. Lyman. The dang thing would cut ragged holes at 50 but at 100 things opened up...a lot.

Yea, I shot hot loads today and if the cops come, they come. Sometimes I just don't care. Anyway, with the 2.5X scope I was cutting the same tiny groups at 140 yards as I was at 50, previously. 5 grains of Herco with a 70 gr. Lyman gas check was good enough to drill a crow square in the chest.....easily....they chronoed right at 1600.

Oh....I'm young again...oh, I'm young again....wee...wee....wee.im gonna spend 5 g's on 20 extra mounts and 20 Leupold scout scopes.........oh.....down the yellow brick road.......whistle...whistle.......--------------me, the tart.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha glad you're having fun bud........but I really never worry about that......you seem to "get it".

That's how I got playing with scouts several years ago. I knew my hawk eyes wouldn't hold up forever, and they are fading now. :(
Anyway, I'm not real big on scopes, being an old gun and iron sight kinda dude. I figured a good compromise was a low power, long eye relief setup. They work well and are fast and instinctive.

If you put a little time in with it, I think you'll see its a good setup bud.

Sometimes you just gotta be a high tech redneck. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

That's the way to do it Jack!
have a Marlin 38-55 CB that shot real well at 50 yd but at 100 yd it was pie plate size groups
so I put a scope on it & shrunk it down to a inch, now im not gonna scope every lever gun I have
but when I want the job done its gonna be a 99 or the Marlin with a scope, the rest of them I can still hit big plates of steel

Brad
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

It's just a phase young pups go thru... and then they can't see the crosshairs in the scope and they give up such foolishness.... :twisted: :P :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote:It's just a phase young pups go thru... and then they can't see the crosshairs in the scope and they give up such foolishness.... :twisted: :P :P :lol:
Griff, I was told by others that you said is the next phase in shooting . I just can't mentally handle the inevitable. I'm coming to Texas and let you deal with my issues. :cry: ----6

retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

Got one of those Scout Leupy's on my Rossi 92 .357 and love it! Bought it originally for load development but I like it so much it's staying on. I put a cheapy pistol scope on my Rossi octagon .357 but am on the hunt for another used Leupold scout scope to replace it. Those are really nice scopes.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Happy to have you... just bring the BAR!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote:Happy to have you... just bring the BAR!

Ya know Griff......Pennsylvania is a big pro gun state with gunshows every weekend and very relaxed gun laws.......(let's not talk about Philly and P-burg.). Many times I have heard that "there's Philly on the east side, P-burg on the west side.....and Alabama in between". I'm "in between". :D I really would fit in better with Texas guys. That 100% conservative attitude with no mercy on law breakers makes me happy! (Well, SERIOUS law breakers that is...I'm not all that goody two shoes)

Yea, I'll bring the BAR, the ammo and maybe a bottle of 1.75 Jack.........Retiring in 14 days....of which I only have to work 3 of them...-----6