Frustrating combo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
guntar
Levergunner 1.0

Frustrating combo

Post by guntar »

I really like the idea of having one type of ammunition for both a rifle and a handgun. I use my firearms for woods carry and/or hunting about 95% of the time, so I bought Winchester 1892 and a Colt New Frontier, both in 45 Colt.
The rifle has been a pure joy. It functions perfectly, handles well, and is very accurate (one ragged hole at 50 yds. for three shots). It is also the easiest rifle to shoot accurately offhand I have ever used.
The Colt New Frontier functions perfectly, handles well, and is one of the more inaccurate handguns I have ever used. I have tried different factory loads, different bullets, different powders, primers, casings, etc. The best I can get it to shoot is about 4 inches at 25 yds. Given the quality of the sights and the sight radius of the 7-1/2" bbl. I find that unacceptable. Am I being unrealistic, or are there things you can suggest I try?
Thanks for any help.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Frustrating combo

Post by Griff »

Slug the barrel, check the forcing cone and the cylinder throats. I've not had to do it to my Colts, (although since both were rebuilt by Oglesby & Oglesby & I don't know EXACTLY what he did), but if the cyl. throats are smaller than your groove diameter, they'll squeeze down the bullet to a diameter that won't get "spun" adequately by the barrels rifling. I've been told that 11º on the forcing cone is some sort of magic number... again, I don't know as I've never specifically checked mine.

It's been so long since I've put my SAAs on paper I don't recall what the results were... I just know that in my cowboy action shooting, while everyone else is trying to go as fast as they can... I routinely am aiming at, and hitting the hat brim, hand or foot, or some very small portion of a much larger target. And this is with a 4-¾" SAA that has an unrifled section in the barrel from the factory. I sent back to Colt to have the barrel replaced and they were willing the do the barrel for free, but required that they take out all the "go fast" parts in mine out, and return it to factory condition... I passed! The older of the two 3rd Gen SAAs is on its 3rd cylinder... I bulged the factory with a double charge (ooops!), and the 2nd one was found to have developed minute stress factures that were found when it went to O&O for an endshake that'd developed.

Maybe one day, I'll put a factory main, hand & trigger/bolt springs back in it and send it to Colt to get the barrel replaced... or not!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Griff hit it. Revolvers need to have cylinder throats larger than the groove diameter of the barrel to shoot worth a darn. I have slugged the barrel and cylinder throats of all my revolvers and have used this info to get non-leading, accurate loads...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

I would agree with Griff. I have heard of this being an issue with some Ruger Blackhawks as well.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

RustyJr wrote:I would agree with Griff. I have heard of this being an issue with some Ruger Blackhawks as well.

RustyJr
Yep, and it was an issue with both my 44mag Redhawks -- .429 cylinder throat, .431 barrel grooves.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
guntar
Levergunner 1.0

Post by guntar »

I take it from the replies that I am not being unrealistic in my accuracy expectations. Every other handgun of near that barrel length has always yielded groups of 2'' or less with at least one load. This is my first Colt so I was not sure.
I will attempt to follow your advice and get the forcing cone/barrel relationship checked. Is this something a gunsmith needs to do or can I reasonably expect to do it myself? If it is a DIY operation, has this been covered in an earlier thread on this forum?
Thanks.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

It IS something that can be done by the home hobby gunsmith... (read: tinkerer)... just takes a measuring tool, (dial caliper), proper reamers and basic gunsmith tools to disassemble the firearm. If you don't have the tools, they can add up, to somewhere near the amount where the job can be done by a pro. I'd pick a good gunsmith and pay... Not just the closest guy, either... someone I'd trust via other work I'd had done, recommendations from others that have had the same work done.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
guntar
Levergunner 1.0

Post by guntar »

I have had Gary Reeder do some work for me. Maybe I will send it to him.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

guntar wrote:I have had Gary Reeder do some work for me. Maybe I will send it to him.
Excellent choice and I've had work done by Alan Harton and our own NKJ, (Steve Young).
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Another big thumbs up for Gary Reeder. I sent him a Blackhawk 45 Colt that wouldn't keep them on an 8" pie plate. He re bored a used 357 cylinder that matched the somewhat worn finish on my gun to 45 Colt, held the throats to .4515, recut the forcing cone to 11degrees and sent me back a test target with the pistol that looked like a Freedom pistol had shot it! I don't remember the price, but it was reasonable.
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Also look at the other end of the spectrum in that you might have a tight barrel and way oversized cylinder throats. My 44NF has a .428" barrel groove dia. and .433" cylinder throats. My regular 44special ammo shot OK, but I bought a .432" size die for the cast bullets which ended up at .4325". Groups shrunk way down, less than half of the size of the ammo with .430" bullets.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)