Another new old western

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Another new old western

Post by Rusty »

The wife wanted to go see the new Jason Bourne movie so off we went tonight. We got there a little extra early so we got to see more previews of coming attractions than normal. One that really stood out was a remake of THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN.

It's going to have Denzel Washington and Vincent D'Onofrio that looked familiar. The rest went by so fast I couldn't tell who they were. From the out takes they showed it looked like they were a bunch of kids playing cowboys and indians, all having a good time. I guess I better get over all this remaking of classic movies.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Another new old western

Post by jeepnik »

Once again Hollywood showing it's lack or imagination.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Saw the trailer, I'm not impressed!

The original had a great cast, great music and no computer generated effects.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

So far as I am concerned no matter how "good" the new version is, it will never be as good as the original. Can't beat the casting of the original.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

RustyJr wrote:So far as I am concerned no matter how "good" the new version is, it will never be as good as the original. Can't beat the casting of the original.

RustyJr
+10
This is the politically correct cast!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

O Hell if that's all that is holding things up I'll drive the rig. One of the best lines out of any movie, one of the greatest westerns ever made, and probably the best theme music out of any movie, if you can't see a cowboy on a horse in your mind when that music is playing. I feel sorry for you, and a great line up of great actors.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I actually enjoy the remakes more than the originals... it they're done "right"... actors and scenery are two of the very minor issues between the original film and a remake. However, generally speaking and when done "right", the remakes have more authentic, or period appropriate gear and costuming. CW films or Custer "era" films with Winchester '92s does more to ruin the ambiance of a film that even some foopahs in sets and costuming can manage.

And really, since the 1960 version of "The Magnificent Seven" was really just a remake of "The Seven Samauri", does it really matter? ... YMMV

I sorta view most remakes, if not a spoof (& maybe even then), as a form of homage to the original.

Actually, my question is: How was the Jason Bourne sequel?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Griff wrote:I actually enjoy the remakes more than the originals... it they're done "right"... actors and scenery are two of the very minor issues between the original film and a remake. However, generally speaking and when done "right", the remakes have more authentic, or period appropriate gear and costuming. CW films or Custer "era" films with Winchester '92s does more to ruin the ambiance of a film that even some foopahs in sets and costuming can manage.

And really, since the 1960 version of "The Magnificent Seven" was really just a remake of "The Seven Samauri", does it really matter? ... YMMV

I sorta view most remakes, if not a spoof (& maybe even then), as a form of homage to the original.

Agreed. When done right they are usually just as good or better. I really enjoy movies like True Grit. While it was nearly word for word the same......the clothing and guns used were much better and really made the movie for me. Im a John Wayne fan for sure but I feel that Rooster was much more believable in the remake.

Absolutely hated the new Lone Ranger though. As fake as the originals are I still love those but hated the CG effects in the new one such as the train sliding off the tracks and whatever else. Hated that the Lone Ranger was pretty much an idiot. Just a horrible movie all the way around.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Rube Burrows wrote:
Griff wrote:I actually enjoy the remakes more than the originals... it they're done "right"... actors and scenery are two of the very minor issues between the original film and a remake. However, generally speaking and when done "right", the remakes have more authentic, or period appropriate gear and costuming. CW films or Custer "era" films with Winchester '92s does more to ruin the ambiance of a film that even some foopahs in sets and costuming can manage.

Agreed. When done right they are usually just as good or better. I really enjoy movies like True Grit. While it was nearly word for word the same......the clothing and guns used were much better and really made the movie for me. Im a John Wayne fan for sure but I feel that Rooster was much more believable in the remake.

Absolutely hated the new Lone Ranger though. As fake as the originals are I still love those but hated the CG effects in the new one such as the train sliding off the tracks and whatever else. Hated that the Lone Ranger was pretty much an idiot. Just a horrible movie all the way around.
:D I viewed it...the second time....as a Johnny Depp comedy. It's pretty good that way. It sure ain't the Lone Ranger.... :lol: (The "HOT" leading lady made up for some other detractions.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

About the only recent non remake western was Hateful Eight.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

RustyJr wrote:So far as I am concerned no matter how "good" the new version is, it will never be as good as the original. Can't beat the casting of the original.

RustyJr
Yes, Toshiro Mifune was great!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Griff, Bourne was pretty good, maybe not quite as good as some of the others. My wife is the Bourne fan. I just went because she wanted to. The level of suspense and tension wasn't as high as the other 3 and she has them all on DVD. I guess it was better than watching NCIS reruns on TV.

I got to thinking about the original Magnificent 7 being a remake of the 7 Samurais. The thought actually came after the initial hmm moment. Just for kicks I guess I need to go watch the 7 Saumurais I don't think I've ever watched it from start to finish.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

jeepnik wrote:About the only recent non remake western was Hateful Eight.

And that was such a disgusting filthy tasteless piece of trash I shut it down about a third of the way through. In my 71 years I have never seen such a worthless disgusting tasteless offensive piece of trash as that movie and I have watched a lot of poor movies in my life. I'm only sorry that I can't tell you how I really feel about it on this board!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Looks like Chris Pratt (Guardians of the Galaxy and Jurassic World) is playing the role played by Steve McQueen. He's a good actor. So is Denzel. Hopefully it isn't messed up. The more good westerns that are made, even remakes, the more likely we are to see good new original ones.

I won't watch a "Bourne" movie - or anything else with Matt Damon in it. Anti-gun twit making money off pretending to be a guy running around with a gun. :evil:
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Looks like Chris Pratt (Guardians of the Galaxy and Jurassic World) is playing the role played by Steve McQueen. He's a good actor. So is Denzel. Hopefully it isn't messed up. The more good westerns that are made, even remakes, the more likely we are to see good new original ones.

I'm with you all the way on that. There have been some real good remakes and some excellent new westerns in the recent past, just nowhere near enough.

I won't watch a "Bourne" movie - or anything else with Matt Damon in it. Anti-gun twit making money off pretending to be a guy running around with a gun. :evil:
The weakest part of the whole of the new "True Grit" other than possibly the scene involving the dead man's teeth Was Damon's presence. I think I might have liked it better if they had gotten Glenn Campbell to reprise his role.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Hawkeye2 wrote:
jeepnik wrote:About the only recent non remake western was Hateful Eight.

And that was such a disgusting filthy tasteless piece of trash I shut it down about a third of the way through. In my 71 years I have never seen such a worthless disgusting tasteless offensive piece of trash as that movie and I have watched a lot of poor movies in my life. I'm only sorry that I can't tell you how I really feel about it on this board!
I didn't comment on the quality only that it is the only thing recent that isn't a remake.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

I didn't comment on the quality only that it is the only thing recent that isn't a remake.[/quote]

Jeepnik I hope you didn't take my rant as directed toward you as it wasn't though I now can see how it might have been taken that way. I used your quote to reference the movie and that probably was a mistake on my part. Yes it is the only recent western with an original story line in some time and I'm afraid that's all I can say that's in any way positive about the flick.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Hawkeye2 wrote:I didn't comment on the quality only that it is the only thing recent that isn't a remake.
Jeepnik I hope you didn't take my rant as directed toward you as it wasn't though I now can see how it might have been taken that way. I used your quote to reference the movie and that probably was a mistake on my part. Yes it is the only recent western with an original story line in some time and I'm afraid that's all I can say that's in any way positive about the flick.[/quote]

No offense taken whatsoever. I haven't even watched it, so you saved me the time. Note, even though it was fairly recent I didn't include Revenant as original. Though a poorly told story (the true story is much more impressive but wouldn't have filmed as well) it has been told in film before.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"