424 IH tractor

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

424 IH tractor

Post by hondo1892 »

Hey guys I've been away for sometime trying to get projects done for a big show I do every August. Now I have a little slower schedule. My 424 wouldn't start a few weeks back and at first I thought it was the battery. Charged the battery and went back today to take a closer look. Turned on the tractor and the gas pump came on then when I hit the starter everything stopped. Started looking for problem and if I bypass the voltage regulator everything works. So now I think it has a bad voltage regulator again. This will be number three in twelve months. Every time the tractor gets wet it seems to ruin the regulator if it doesn't get completely dried out before I try to start it. Any of you guys out there that know more than me and have an idea why this keeps happening please pass it along. I don't like electrical stuff because I never could quite figure it out. Other than I know it hurts when it bites you. I can't find anything that would cause a short in the system either.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Re: 424 IH tractor

Post by rossim92 »

hondo1892 wrote:Hey guys I've been away for sometime trying to get projects done for a big show I do every August. Now I have a little slower schedule. My 424 wouldn't start a few weeks back and at first I thought it was the battery. Charged the battery and went back today to take a closer look. Turned on the tractor and the gas pump came on then when I hit the starter everything stopped. Started looking for problem and if I bypass the voltage regulator everything works. So now I think it has a bad voltage regulator again. This will be number three in twelve months. Every time the tractor gets wet it seems to ruin the regulator if it doesn't get completely dried out before I try to start it. Any of you guys out there that know more than me and have an idea why this keeps happening please pass it along. I don't like electrical stuff because I never could quite figure it out. Other than I know it hurts when it bites you. I can't find anything that would cause a short in the system either.
If the tractor is a six volt, put a twelve volt alternator with a built in regulator ( like a car) and switch to a twelve volt battery.. I know people who have done this, Just might be harder on your starter with more juice coming to it when starting. Just my two cents. :roll:
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
gregg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gregg »

wish I could help. those 424 IH is one those new fangle tractors. Think there be someone here that know. Not being there all can say is fiber washer on screws. gasket around case. silicone case together and wire leads. always leave drain hole and breather hole. Its to rid condensation from in case or seeps. just thoughts and ideas.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Rossi it is a 12 volt system. The tractor is fifty years old and everything but the tires looked original when I traded for it. The old voltage regulator was fine wet or dry. But when it failed these new ones just don't like wet weather. I really need to build a covered building for it to keep it out of the weather. Thanks for the thoughts.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

hondo1892 wrote:Rossi it is a 12 volt system. The tractor is fifty years old and everything but the tires looked original when I traded for it. The old voltage regulator was fine wet or dry. But when it failed these new ones just don't like wet weather. I really need to build a covered building for it to keep it out of the weather. Thanks for the thoughts.
Yep, these import regulators are bad for collecting and retaining moisture. I don't think there's a single quality made regulator in the world. I gotta agree, switch out the generator for an alternator system.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!