New to me - 1894 Win 32 Special

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

New to me - 1894 Win 32 Special

Post by geobru »

I recently picked up a 1908 era 1894 Winchester rifle in 32 Spl at the local candy store. It was a consignment gun that sat in the rack for a couple of months, during which time I looked it over pretty closely. Generally the gun was an honest gun, but the mag tube was dented, the front sight was a newer Marbles, and the lever safety didn't function, which reduced the value in my eyes to a lot less than what they were asking for it. It does have a lot of character and was definitely NOT a safe queen!

One day I dropped by and saw that it was gone and I asked the proprietor if he got his price on that rifle. He said he had it sold but they couldn't load ammo into the magazine and the sale fell through. He brought it out so I could take a look at it. The problem was that the lifter was worn and it didn't drop down far enough to get out of the way of the loading gate.

He asked me if I wanted a project gun and I asked him how much. After some haggling, I made an offer that was $300 less than the asking price. He said he'd check with the owner. Three weeks later, the owner finally appeared after dropping off the face of the world. During that time, I took apart a 1951 carbine to see what it might be and came to the conclusion that I would have to buy $100 in parts to get the old girl running again. I wound up getting it for $350 under the original asking price.

I got a lifter for it and a replacement magazine tube, and it was ready to rock and roll after I cleaned out the crud on the lever safety springs!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by geobru on Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: New to me - 1894 Win 32 Special

Post by Blaine »

I love a happy ending.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Me too!
I was pleased with the outcome. The new tube matches pretty well because there is still a lot of original bluing on the barrel.

Next step is to get a front sight that is correct for the vintage of the gun!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote:I love a happy ending.
+1.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Nice old gun & glad you got it!
For me the sight that is on it now is a lot more user friendly than the original

ommogger
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

ollogger wrote:Nice old gun & glad you got it!
For me the sight that is on it now is a lot more user friendly than the original
I echo the sentiment. And if I replaced that front sight it would just be with a fiber optic: these old eyes are having trouble seeing those "period correct" things.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Glad to see it found a good home. I love a honest rifle and in one of my favorite calibers too. I know its not a realistic probability, but every deer I ever shot with the 32 went right down or left a heavy blood trail. Much better than a 30WCF :wink:
Last edited by EdinCT on Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

ollogger wrote:Nice old gun & glad you got it!
For me the sight that is on it now is a lot more user friendly than the original.
I have to at least get a sight that looks right on the rifle. The Marbles that is on it just looks too new. Besides that, when I shot the old girl, the POI was about 8" high at 40 yards.

I took the sight off and fabricated sight extensions out of a business card that were the height of replacement sights and attached them to the sight with a bobby pin. Found out that I need a .500 front sight instead of the .375 that came on the rifle. I may wind up going with a tang sight in the end, but for now, I want to get the original configuration up and running.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Lovely rifle. Congrats.