Arisaka Saga -- Well yeah, I should have known better...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Arisaka Saga -- Well yeah, I should have known better...

Post by earlmck »

About 20 years ago a friend gave me a couple of 6.5mm Arisaka rifles. The bores looked like the inside of a sewer pipe, but not to be deterred I found 6.5 Jap dies from Lee, saw that I could make serviceable cases from 35 Rem, and loaded up a selection from mild to wild. Only one of the rifles had a front sight so I used that one for testing. Yuk! Shotgun - type patterns instead of rifle - type groups. Something diverted my attention and these got put away for a later day.

So a couple of months ago I was doing an inventory of the herd and came across these two old clunks in the back of the safe. Decided this was the "later day" and figured I'd give 'em another go. This time I did something I hadn't considered the first time -- I gave them a really good cleaning to get all the crud and jacket material out of the barrel. Thanks to foaming bore cleaner I finally got to reasonably clean. Voila! inspection of the barrels showed them again closely resembling said sewer pipe. Disappointment :cry:

I still had some of my 6.5x35 Rem stuff loaded so out to the range we go. Dang! No improvement, other than I didn't have any go sideways this time, which my notes indicated I'd had some do 20 years ago.

I then fitted up Rifle #2
65x57Arisaka7234.jpg
with the earlmck patent front sight thusly:
65x57Sight7237.jpg
Out to the range with my trusty ammo, fired the first round, and this is what came out of the chamber:
65JapOops.jpg
Yes, I had read that people did rechamber these with a 257 Roberts reamer to produce a 6.5X57. But I'd never before seen one. Didn't realize I'd owned one for 20 years! Here they are with 6.5x35Rem on top, 6.5x57 middle, and the fired case on the bottom:
ArisakaCases7233.jpg
Oh yeah, look at the primer of the 6.5 Jap fired in 6.5x57 chamber:
65JapIn65x57.jpg
Now wouldn't you think it must have hit 150K psi to do that? I certainly would have previously. But I poked the maxi-flat primer out and a new primer fits firmly into the ruined case:
56JapPrimers.jpg
I know these aren't leverguns, but I was just messing around on this cool, breezy day and thought I'd take some pictures of this little mis-adventure I had this summer, knowing some of you geezers like to get a laugh out of the hi-jinks us youngsters can get up to.

Oh yes. I cobbled up some 6.5x57 ammo (6mm Rem brass, 7x57 fl die for body die, 260 Rem for neck and seat) and gave rifle #2 a go with the proper ammo. Very very sad. Maybe not quite as bad as rifle#1 but pretty much a pattern rather than a group. But all is not lost: firstly I don't have to worry about attaching a nicer front sight. And secondly, since these old rifles are pretty much worthless I am taking them out of the safe (more wall hangers?) which leaves a couple of spaces for something better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Arisaka Saga -- Well yeah, I should have known better...

Post by FWiedner »

Very interesting, but I don't know that I'd hang the "worthless" tag on them yet.

Do you grow tomatoes?

:wink:

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

FWiedner wrote:Very interesting, but I don't know that I'd hang the "worthless" tag on them yet.

Do you grow tomatoes?

:wink:

:lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I wonder if a 35 Rem rebore is possible on #1. #2 might make a good 7x57 or 8x57. Maybe not worth the money and time but you would be shooting.

A tough cheap bolt gun in 35 chopped down between 16 and 18 would be handy for a vehicle
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

That's it!!! I'm calling my attorney!!! Patent infringement. I've had several sights like that in the past along with epoxy jobs.

No, it was not all lost. You gained experience and now you can unload the jap junk with no thoughts of "I wonder how accurate those guns are" :D

No tomato stakes though.....hunt the Internet for local gun buy back programs which usually come up a month before Christmas. Out here they usually pay with a $100 supermarket card for each gun.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Nope, six, they're worth more as tomato stakes. You're looking at the short term benefit... You'll get far more than $100 of tomatoes from them, and over the years the iron returned to the ground will enrich those tomatoes so they'll be worth more that a quick $100!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl, glad you came out of that deal with all parts intact. They say the Arisaka action is incredibly strong ...
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Well, they have been made up into nice sporters, though it would be a pretty big project unless decent used sporter barrels and stocks could be found.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Very interesting Earl, to bad the 6.5x57 is junk so I have to agree on the use for a tomato stake

Brad
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Fun read Earl :)
+ 1 for the tomato stakes corner
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Sometimes you just have to look under every rock ... twice.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Earl, what you going to do with it?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Check out gun parts, they may have both barrels and stocks.

Those actions are strong! like the Mausers, STRONG LIKE BULL- SMART LIKE DUMP TRUCK.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I wouldn't destroy any salvageable firearm. Those actions are strong and useful even if the barrels are toast. I suggested reboring, but that might not be cost effective.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have seen a couple Arisakas made into very nice sporters. The pre and early war guns were well made I am told.
Problem is you cant buy the parts today for what a new quality rifle can be had for. Everyone is building quality low end sporters these days. Gunsmiths who still build sporters from military actions are few and far between and the labor would cost more than a new rifle.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

3leggedturtle wrote:Earl, what you going to do with it?
I'm using both of them as wall hangers. With those looong barrels they look fairly cool, though not nearly as cool as if they had been left in their original military configurations.

I've read P.O. Ackley's action-strength testing reports and realize these things are maximum strong and could be turned into something quite useful. But there would be considerable money spent and I'd still have just another side-lever thing. At least they are no longer stuck in the back of the gun safe. Hmmm.... I wonder what else is back there?
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Nothing wrong with decorating with them either. I have to admit to having guns I've never shot. Some are old military rifles. Maybe if you have a burglary, the crooks will fill their arms with those and go without snooping out the good stuff! :D

You are probably right. Sporterizing would only be cost effective if it's minimal or you can do most of it yourself. A new barrel is more than the rifle is worth and reboring probably is too. Kind of like fixing a console tv, what's the point?