Krag Rifles ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Krag Rifles ?

Post by .45colt »

Local fun shop has a Krag in 6.5x55. 30" barrel Anyone shoot a Krag? looks pretty neat . Thanks .
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Re: Krag Rifles ?

Post by MrMurphy »

Very smooth action. Not overly strong, but strong enough.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

MrMurphy wrote:Very smooth action. Not overly strong, but strong enough.

Well described. I've got one 1898 and it loves cast bullets but mine is in 30-40.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

OOOH, a Norwegian Krag. Supposed to be better metallurgy than our Springfield Krags. It is such a great cartridge.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

1898 in 30-40. Fun to shoot. Last year one of the gunshops had a Norwegian Krag for $400. Which I thought was too much. But it kept bothering me after three months and it still being there. I decided the next time I pass through that town, I will stop and dicker on it. Well thank God some one bought it.

I will buy one someday, but the price has to be right. Can't load them hot for the Krag like the Swedish Mausers.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Mine is the U.S. 30-40 1898 full 30 inch barrel just a couple of pieces of wood missing.
It is a great shooter, I plan on getting a of dies so I can shoot cast.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Saw one in 30-40 yesterday at a tiny gunshow for 350, pretty beat.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Sixgun wrote:
MrMurphy wrote:Very smooth action. Not overly strong, but strong enough.

Well described. I've got one 1898 and it loves cast bullets but mine is in 30-40.----6

A real pleasure to shoot, especially with cast bullets. Might have to get mine out to the range soon.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
saw whet owl
Levergunner

Post by saw whet owl »

I have a Norwegian Krag in 6.5X55. It is my favorite rifle and has been somewhat sporterized: shortened barrel, stock cut down a little, side mount for old school Weaver K3 scope. I love the turned down, "butter knife" bolt handle, and the smooth Krag action.

My frustration stems from the lack of positive guidance available on how to reload for this rifle. There is much negative advice: don't use Norma or European commercial loaded ammo (too hot), keep handloads below 40, 000 CUP (or was that 45, 000, or was it PSI? Or was it CIP?) Sense the angst?

Few reloading references give pressure values for reload data. Those that do invariably give pressure levels for max loads, which are surely too warm for the 100 year old Norwegian.

Can I get something a little more specific, or do I have to settle for "Load a grain or two below maximum", or "Stick to starting loads". Starting loads - I'd like to do a little better than a 120 grain bullet at 2300 fps. For crying out loud, that is smaller, lighter and slower than a 30-30 round out of a weapon that is 20 years younger than many lever actions being loaded for.

Sorry for the rant, and I am very grateful for any help which may be coming.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

saw whet owl , welcome to the forum. this months Rifle Magazine has an article on shooting the Krag with some reloading information You may find of help. Jim.
saw whet owl
Levergunner

Post by saw whet owl »

.45colt wrote:saw whet owl , welcome to the forum. this months Rifle Magazine has an article on shooting the Krag with some reloading information You may find of help. Jim.
Thank you, .45colt, for the welcome and for the heads up :D

I will hit the magazine stands tonight to find that issue!