A better Range Trip with the Ruger 556 AR/ EoTech combo.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

A better Range Trip with the Ruger 556 AR/ EoTech combo.

Post by 2ndovc »

Restored my faith in things that go BANG! :D

I finally got the repaired EOTech mounted and out to the range to sight it in. Fortunately it wasn't on my Colt when it was sold off last winter while I was in the hospital. :oops:

Started with the bottom target and some ADCOM 55 GR FMJs from the U.A.E. I bought a couple cases of the a few years ago and it's been pretty good stuff. The Ruger has a 1:8 turn rate that the manual says should stabilize a larger range of bullet weights. The low rounds are from bringing the sight up to POA. Then moved up to 62 Gr. Lake City that was even tighter. Shooting was done off a bench w/ just my elbow resting on a rifle case.

Looks great so far! I'm going to try some 69 Gr Sierra's I have just for kicks but I'm very happy with it's performance.
Total about 50 rounds on and off target without a single issue. I replaced the factory stock set with the Mag Pul stuff. Factory stock was way too short for me even fully extended. This one's going to replace the Colt and sit next to the Rem 870 for things that go bump in the night.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: A better Range Trip with the Ruger 556 AR/ EoTech combo.

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I just got one too. I mounted a Leupold 2-7 on mine. I just sighted it in this morning. Five shot groups at 100 yd ran 1 1/4" with 4 shots under 1" . I did install a Timney 3# trigger in mine. These little Ruger AR556 rifles are great. Mine is a Davidson exclusive in flat dark earth. They had 99 when I ordered mine. They all are alocated/ gone now. I should have ordered two !
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

1 in 8 will stabilize up to 77 grain easily.

If you truly intend on using for serious purposes, get rid of the Eotech. Period. I could bore and/or horrify you with over a decade's worth of bad Eotech stories, but Eotech was sued by the US government successfully and has refunded a lot of them due to long known and finally officially acknowledged issues with them.

The Aimpoint PRO or ACO would do well for you, as well as a very, very few others for actual serious (non range use).

I used to sell high end AR's for a living (working for the manufacturer) and have carried one on and off for a living for most of my adult life. I carry 2 at work now, both wear PROs. Due to my previous job, I am experienced with effectively every combat type red dot optic you will see and most of the ones you've never even heard of.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

MrMurphy wrote:1 in 8 will stabilize up to 77 grain easily.

If you truly intend on using for serious purposes, get rid of the Eotech. Period. I could bore and/or horrify you with over a decade's worth of bad Eotech stories, but Eotech was sued by the US government successfully and has refunded a lot of them due to long known and finally officially acknowledged issues with them.

The Aimpoint PRO or ACO would do well for you, as well as a very, very few others for actual serious (non range use).

I used to sell high end AR's for a living (working for the manufacturer) and have carried one on and off for a living for most of my adult life. I carry 2 at work now, both wear PROs. Due to my previous job, I am experienced with effectively every combat type red dot optic you will see and most of the ones you've never even heard of.

Mainly, I just wanted to see if it was going to still work. After the problem I had with it I really don't trust it 100%. Along with reading up on them after you brought it up before. I had no idea the sight/ company had so many problems. Plus it was also the first time out for the Ruger as well and it needs a couple hundred more rounds through it before I trust it completely. Call it product testing if you like.

Chuck,
That factory trigger does stink, doesn't it. Probably going to change mine too.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If you ever replace the EOTech, the Trijicon ACOG's are spectacular. I have an EOTech on my Beowulf and a 10/22, and both are doing fine. I accidentally opened the 'seal' on one of them, but closed it back up right away, and it hasn't fogged up ever.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

My Ruger factory trigger was not bad, just heavy. I sighted in the rifles open sights a week ago using the factory sights and had no problem getting sub 1" 50 yd. groups. That is as far as I can shoot open sights these days as they are so fuzzy.