I'm gaining a lot of respect for the .45 Colt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: I'm gaining a lot of respect for the .45 Colt

Post by Blaine »

Old Savage wrote:The industry has moved on from the limitations for Colt, Colt clone and similar size guns such as the New Vaquero. Ruger makes three revolvers that use six shot cylinders and can handle Ruger only type loads for .45 Colt loads. Seyfried was going much higher than the 30,000 CUP of the Ruger only loads. The .454 also uses much higher pressures.

The .45 Colt in a revolver requires knowledge of what loads are appropriate for which guns but it does not require a five shot cylinder. Biffalo Bore makes factory rounds that should not be fired in Colt size guns of traditional manufacture so discretion is necessary for more than reloading in cartridge selection. Rifles too require care in selection as the 1873 may not take the pressures the 92s, 94s and Marlins can.

But considering industry standards on Ruger only type loads, the .44 Magnum no longer holds an advantage on the .45.Colt.
Absolutely true. I'm pretty sure I said the same thing. Any negative comments from me were in reference to those >50,000psi loads that were discussed being shot out of standard Ruger 6 shots....That's reckless, not speculation, and I said so.
When Seyfried was going far north of 30,000 he was using a custom 5 shot. He even had an article showing that the .45 Colt, with some lighter bullets, could surpass the .454 in fpe.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Actually reading back I don't think you said any of what I said. You were off in a different pasture -- 50,000 lbs and 5 shot cylinders.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Savage wrote:Actually reading back I don't think you said any of what I said. You were off in a different pasture -- 50,000 lbs and 5 shot cylinders.
You were not the one advocating the 50, 55,000 psi loads being just fine in six shooters. It's not really about you,. If you missed the part and person I'm talking about, please reread.

Just to save bandwidth, I'll cede whatever point you're trying to make, but I'd leave this with new reloaders: It's not "speculation" that you should stick real close to published loads. You experts are welcome to do whatever you wish 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well lazarus, to bring you back up, yes the .45 Colt is the equal if not the superior of the .44 Mag in your rifle or the stronger revolvers with loads published in major reloading manuals.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:wink: There's a really nice 94 Short barrel, with saddle ring in .45 Colt at Welcher's Gun Shop In Tacoma....They will be tickled to ship it to someone.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

lazarus870 wrote:. But there is definitely more to the story than those numbers, because it seems like those big .45 LC slugs plow through deer like nothing and have a great reputation for penetration. ::::: compared to my .44's or .357's.....
Yup. A Win 94 and an Uberti Cattleman are in the safe, and the two of them should do anything I need. (Well, here in town I'd prefer to carry a 45 auto.)

I'm mainly a 357 & 44Special guy when it comes to revolvers & levers these days, but the standard 45Colt will do what I need in our foothills.

I want to say I'm thankful and glad for all the guys who share their knowledge & experience because I can't possibly get out there and do it all myself. And sometimes I need something good to read and think about when I'm sitting by the fire with a pot of coffee.

The 45Colt or 45 Long Colt is a special cartridge, no matter how we load it.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Yes, it is an extremely versatile cartridge. From round ball/collar buttons at about 145 grains to 400 grains, oh my. It even does shot loads well. Powders from Red Dot/Bullseye to what, 4198? That's a very wide range.

That versatility lends itself to ballistic investigation too. I'll tell a story that'll pinch some here.

I once got my hands on twenty-some pounds of an unmarked powder. Not in factory containers, but at almost free I couldn't say no.

But how to use it? Having a strong .45 Colt (Win 94) and knowing that five grains of the fastest powder known would be quite light in the Colt I loaded one up. It moved the 250 grain bullet about six inches down the bore.

So then I started raising the load until the case was full under the same bullet. Chronograph showed 450 fps. Lots of unburned left behind. So it was obviously one of the slower rifle powders.

I compared it to some rifle powders and lo and behold it sure looked like 4831. So I tried a load a bit under starting in a strong rifle (Mosin-Nagant) and it gave me results exactly like 4831. So I call it 4831 and it works well in that capacity.

I do love a .45, and the Colt is one of the best of the bunch.

Cat
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Hey Cat...good thinking...on the Bullseye thingy. I too, sometimes come across powder like that cheap and as a Republican conservative, it's hard to turn down. I'm known to "make lines" (like the druggies do) with the powder and light em up.

Yea, not science, but it gets me close, plus I love the smell of gunpowder in the gunroom. :D ----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Burned a chicken coop down lighting shotgun powder but that was more than 55 years ago.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Old Savage wrote:Burned a chicken coop down lighting shotgun powder but that was more than 55 years ago.

OS...how many times do I have to tell ya.....you can't light gunpowder and squeeze the "soft stuff" at the same time. :D ----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote:
Old Savage wrote:Burned a chicken coop down lighting shotgun powder but that was more than 55 years ago.

OS...how many times do I have to tell ya.....you can't light gunpowder and squeeze the "soft stuff" at the same time. :D ----6
:wink: If ya can't hit the broad side of a chicken coop, at least ya can get your revenge. 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV