Marlin (REM) 336Y 16" Trapper...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894c

Marlin (REM) 336Y 16" Trapper...

Post by 1894c »

I was going to cut down a very nice Glenfield 30A 30/30 to make a trapper (16" bbl). But just before I committed this sin I found a Marlin 336Y with a 16 1/4" barrel, a hard wood youth stock (12"), with a flat black finish. I picked up this 30/30 REMlin for $386.00 from Bud's Gun Shop. I found the fit and finish to be very good, the action is smooth, the trigger isn't bad, I like the finish, and the youth stock fits me, which surprised me.

I shot it last week, it was one-minute-of-clay pigeon accurate at 75 yards, no problems with the function. As for my ancient 1970's vintage Glenfield 30A I just sold it to a young man in his 20's, this will be his first deer rifle, this is the third time that I've sold a 30/30 Marlin (JM stamped) to a young man, hopefully they will pass the Marlin's down to their sons/daughters.

Here are some lousy pics... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Marlin (REM) 336Y 16" Trapper...

Post by pshort »

Howdy 94c,
Good move, I'd say... No use to cut up a good rifle...
YMMV

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
1894c

Post by 1894c »

pshort wrote:Howdy 94c,
Good move, I'd say... No use to cut up a good rifle...
YMMV

Paul
THANK YOU pshort...I thought the same thing...a friend of mine who knew what I was going to do with the 30A told me about the 336Y, because he just bought one too, he is also happy with the fit and finish of his REMlin... :)
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

The quality of the new "remlins" or whatever they are called has improved greatly. I had a nice discussion with a Remington rep the other day down at my buds gunshop, Targetmaster. He explained the whole story about the move, machinery, old skill that was lost from former employees and a host of other stuff. Hopefully, the new ones will be as good as the ones that were made 10 years or so from when they went bad.

Now, test that baby out and report back!----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

1894c

Post by 1894c »

Sixgun wrote:Now, test that baby out and report back!----6
Thanks "6" -- as I stated before, I'm pretty impressed with the build quality of this Marlin. I really missed having a "30/30 trapper", had a Win.94 AE trapper in 30/30, hunted with it in the Adirondacks and Catskill Mts. for a 7+ years, but sent it back three times to USRA because it would occasionally miss-fire (never did get it right), sold it off when I moved out west...AND YES I will be shooting it allot...the .30WCF is my favorite cartridge... :)
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Nice......... I'd be converting that "yout" model to a straight grip in a NY Minute, to make my own Marauder. :mrgreen:

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote:The quality of the new "remlins" or whatever they are called has improved greatly. I had a nice discussion with a Remington rep the other day down at my buds gunshop, Targetmaster. He explained the whole story about the move, machinery, old skill that was lost from former employees and a host of other stuff. Hopefully, the new ones will be as good as the ones that were made 10 years or so from when they went bad.

Now, test that baby out and report back!----6
If you (or somebody) has good info on when the serial #s of the Remlins get into the Quality Stage, let us know.... 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I got one of the , I suppose original 336Y's back in 2004 . Bought it at the sporting goods place in Hamlin PA . Bought it for my then wife , who is now my EXwife . The one I had did very nicely with Winchester factory namely the 150 and 170 grain Silvertips . It also did nicely with my hand loads using both jacketed and my home cast bullets . I tried several 150-180 grain cast with the Lyman 311041 and Ranch Dog 311-165GC as one might expect doing the best in the little rifle . Gun was handy as I bought it , but when I hunted with it I took the stock from a 1894FG I had at the time and swapped them so the LOP fit me better .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
PriseDeFer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PriseDeFer »

" I just sold it to a young man in his 20's, this will be his first deer rifle, this is the third time that I've sold a 30/30 Marlin (JM stamped) to a young man, hopefully they will pass the Marlin's down to their sons/daughters."
Well sold and well done.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Cabelas have those on sale....With points, and military discount, I think I can go out the door for a hair over 300 plus sales tax.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
1894c

Post by 1894c »

BlaineG wrote:Cabelas have those on sale....With points, and military discount, I think I can go out the door for a hair over 300 plus sales tax.
BlaineG --did you take a look at one...mine is nice, I do have to admit I was somewhat apprehensive. Also I noticed that the forearm is smaller in "girth" than the older 336's I've owned and shot in the past... :)
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I bet that little carbine is a joy to carry and with plenty of power for most things you might want to eat or be kept from being eaten by.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

1894c wrote:
BlaineG wrote:Cabelas have those on sale....With points, and military discount, I think I can go out the door for a hair over 300 plus sales tax.
BlaineG --did you take a look at one...mine is nice, I do have to admit I was somewhat apprehensive. Also I noticed that the forearm is smaller in "girth" than the older 336's I've owned and shot in the past... :)
Not yet...maybe tomorrow. Maybe not. I need another rifle like I need a hole in the head.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote:Not yet...maybe tomorrow. Maybe not. I need another rifle like I need a hole in the head.
I keep telling myself that also!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I'm with Pete44ru on the straight grip idea. How easy is that to do on a Marlin 336?