My Deer season

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

My Deer season

Post by hondo1892 »

I was blessed to get out a little this season. My breathing had been giving me problems this fall and wasn't sure I would get to hunt any. My allergist Dr. put me on breathing treatments a few weeks before season started and they helped a bunch. My Dad was down for a visit and I took him along with me. He was my hunting partner for years but now his knee just won't allow him to get around very well. So I put him in a box blind that looks over a food plot. We didn't go opening morning but we did make it for the evening. I climbed up to one of our best ridges and found a good stump to set against. I wasn't there long and had a deer come up behind me from the neighbors. I tried to turn and see it but no luck. About fifteen minutes later I heard another coming along the ridge in front of me. I had already decided that what ever the good Lord sent my way I was going to shoot. Well this nine point came into view and had his head down and was moving like he was on a hot doe. He never looked around and never seen me. When he was about forty five yards out I tried to shoot but couldn't see the front sight. I finally found it and at about thirty five yards I put the front sight on the right side of his chest. He was quartering towards me and I was trying to clip the right lung and hit the left one. Well when I fired he dropped in his tracks. Went down like a load of bricks. Well my shot hit him in his neck. When I skinned him out I found that the bullet stopped just behind his front shoulders on the left side of his spine. This is the second buck that I've shot with this ninety year old Winchester 94 in 32 Winchester Special. At the ranges I shoot at deer on my property there is no need for long range cartridges. The old 30 WCF and 32 WS are more than adequate. I only made it out twice more before season was over but hope to make it out during muzzleloading season next month. I think I need a fiber optic front sight with my older eyes or maybe put a scope on it. As much as I hate to. I felt extra blessed this year to make it out. It took me a week to get this photo onto photobucket to post. I really need to check out another sight for downloading photo's.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My Deer season

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

:D ya done well pard ! :D
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Awesome
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

You and the "old" rifle done real good.... 8) 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

That 90 year old 32SPL sure flattened him. Meat in the freezer! :mrgreen:
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Love that Winchester! Good to hear you were feeling well enough to get out. There's noting worse than not being able to do what you didn't even have to think twice about before.

Try www.imgur.com for photos. It took me a few minutes of figure it out bout once I did It's amazingly fast and easy. I just made the switch this week.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

:D :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice!
Nice old eastern carbine. I have its twin in 30-30 that was the only rifle my dad owned when I was a kid. They make great hunting rifles.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Awesome !!!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Awesome story about a nice rifle and a handsome buck! Thanks for sharing.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

I would love to hear about your rear sight. Also, did it require a new front sight, or just the factory one?

Scott
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

RSY the tang sight is an old Lyman. I forget the letter code on the bottom side. I prefer the old Lyman tangs because they have a flip down aperture so you can have a ghost style sight for up close work. The front sight is not the usual factory blade that came on Winchester carbines but a silver bead. I don't know if it came from the factory with this sight or not. The carbine had climb-n-lyman receiver sight at one time. You can see the out line of it on the off side of the receiver. With the tang sight that I have there was no need to swap out the front sight. But I have been thinking about making a fiber optic front sight so my eyes can see it better.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Great deer, very nice old levergun...prayers sent for your health... :)
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Nice rack but that is one darn skinny deer. Pert' near starved to death! :D
Slow is just slow.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Yep, mostly skin and hair. :D