New to me toy !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

New to me toy !

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well I just won a WW Greener Grade F 10 gauge 2 7/8" chamber 30" fluid steel barreled gun . Has the Greener safety on the side that I don't really care for but it has fluid steel supposedly BRIGHT bores ! Barrels appear to need a re rust blueing but that's not an issue to me . Someone added a Pachmayer White Line awhile back . The pics are not mine but rather the sellers GB pictures !

Gun was made between 1905 and 1915 as near as I can ascertain . I've been after a Parker EH or NH 10 gauge with factory 28" or shorter barrels and wasn't looking for a Greener even though I have a rather nice 12 gauge Greener . But this one came along . So what the heck !

Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New to me toy !

Post by 6pt-sika »

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Amazing preservation of wondrous workmanship...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

BlaineG wrote:Amazing preservation of wondrous workmanship...
+ 1 .
I had a shotgun with a similar side safety once, always found it a bit awkward.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Boy that's nice! Good wood, Nitro proof, nice engraving. Hope you kill some geese with it!
Looks like it has been apart a few times from the screw heads.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

gamekeeper wrote:
+ 1 .
I had a shotgun with a similar side safety once, always found it a bit awkward.
Yes my sentiments exactly on the side safety . I have a Greener DH40 12 gauge with the more conventional tang safety that I used a lot from about 14 unti I was 35ish .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote:Boy that's nice! Good wood, Nitro proof, nice engraving. Hope you kill some geese with it!
Looks like it has been apart a few times from the screw heads.
Dunno about the geese I have my W&C Scott and a pair of Parker EH's all 10 gauge that I normally drag along for honkers . This gun will get patterned with my 0000 home cast buckshot as well as my home cast slugs . I assume this bad boy is choked kinda right , but so are my two EH guns and they both did nicely with the slugs , 0000 and 00000 .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I thought the condition of the wood was very good . But as I said earlier the barrels I think need to be reblued . The bores are supposed to be shiney and I think a good bit of the discoloration on the action may be dried oil/grease . One things for sure they'll have payment PDQ and hopefully it gets to me within 14 days .
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Craftsmanship like that today would set you back 10-12 G's. Looking at some of the junk that's made recently makes me shudder when I see those 1/16" spaces between wood and metal.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My bucket-list, lotto, dream shotgun would be a presentation model 21 with all the barrel sets in an English Walnut with deep green velvet lining case...*sigh* :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Dan 444
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dan 444 »

A treasure, for sure.

If that shotgun could talk.....

Dan
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Bet that makes some noise! :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

BlaineG wrote:My bucket-list, lotto, dream shotgun would be a presentation model 21 with all the barrel sets in an English Walnut with deep green velvet lining case...*sigh* :lol:
I've been fortunate enough to shoot several Model 21's belonging to other folks , never owned one myself . And of the 6 or 7 I've shot the one I really liked was a field grade 16 gauge skeet gun 26" English grip stock and a semi beaver tail forend . I ran a couple straight rounds with that shooting with the gun mounted then went 67 straight shooting low gun . That's the only 21 I ever tried to buy and to be totally honest that's the only one that felt good in my hands of those l was able to try .
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

6pt-sika wrote:
BlaineG wrote:My bucket-list, lotto, dream shotgun would be a presentation model 21 with all the barrel sets in an English Walnut with deep green velvet lining case...*sigh* :lol:
I've been fortunate enough to shoot several Model 21's belonging to other folks , never owned one myself . And of the 6 or 7 I've shot the one I really liked was a field grade 16 gauge skeet gun 26" English grip stock and a semi beaver tail forend . I ran a couple straight rounds with that shooting with the gun mounted then went 67 straight shooting low gun . That's the only 21 I ever tried to buy and to be totally honest that's the only one that felt good in my hands of those l was able to try .
The closest I've been is on the other side of the glass....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Side by sides are the best looking shotguns in my opinion.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

piller wrote:Side by sides are the best looking shotguns in my opinion.
I agree completely ....and 6pt keeps showing us some wonderful side by sides !
cable
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

BlaineG wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:
The closest I've been is on the other side of the glass....
One of the 21's I've shot was an engraved gold inlaid job that a customer brought in claiming light strikes . And it was a 12 gauge . So I took it to the range and shot 4 rounds with it . It was nice don't get me wrong but a 21 in a 12 gauge usually feels kinda clubby to me . But all shotguns have a different feel if you shoot skeet,trap,sporting or live birds a lot (or thats my opinion) . But I grew up shooting my Brit guns , Parker's , Fox's and LC Smith's ! And the feel to me is just different not bad but different .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

You would be amazed in this day and age how many people my age or older "claim" they cannot shoot a SxS . Now granted they mostly grew up shooting pumps or semi auto's !

One friend thats in his mid 60's and been an avid shooter/hunter for many many years says he can't do it because he tries to look down each barrel . I suppose I'm just lucky that I can go from an O/U to a SxS or vice versa with no big difference in my % of hits .
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

6pt-sika wrote:
You would be amazed in this day and age how many people my age or older "claim" they cannot shoot a SxS . Now granted they mostly grew up shooting pumps or semi auto's !

One friend thats in his mid 60's and been an avid shooter/hunter for many many years says he can't do it because he tries to look down each barrel . I suppose I'm just lucky that I can go from an O/U to a SxS or vice versa with no big difference in my % of hits .
I'm not a really good shotgun shooter, but I can hold my own with amateurs. When I used to show up with a 300 dollar Baikal SxS with chokes for sporting clays, or skeet the snobs would be amused. In clays I was good for around 60/100. Not that good, but it usually not the worst score in a field of expensive guns... :lol: :lol:
I can't take the light 12ga anymore. I have a South American 20ga double with fixed Improved Cyl, and Mod choke that shoots pretty good for me...(What's this "aiming" some speak of? I mount the gun, keep both eyes open, and look at the target...easy peazy)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

It's all "mindset"...weather it be a levergun , pump or single shot.. the problem with SXS shotguns for target shooting is stock fit. I once took My Browning BSS 30" 12ga, put on a slip on recoil pad a strap on cheek piece to raise the comb. shot a 12 week trap league with it. gave some of the other shooters fit's the way it broke birds. the clay targets would look like they were "framed" by the barrels. no distraction at all..........but I really liked that shotgun.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The biggest thing is the older doubles have 'poor' stock geometry, now that's not a knock against the guns, but the stocks were just not designed properly. We have gotten taller as a whole so LOP is usually short, drop at comb/heel are too much and people just don't learn to shoot the gun.
My Redheaded Step Child( pics here, posts was Favorite Old Gun), an o/u that I built, I regulated it with slugs at 50 yards. Once the inletting was done, I'd shoot a slug from bottom barrel, go take a few passes with a rasp on the comb, shoot, repeat until I got it to POI that I wanted.

Looking at the pics of this Greener you can see how much drop it has, personally I couldn't hit targets well until I put a lot of ammo down range.

I just bought a CZ 410, the stock geometry is much flatter and I hope to transition from my Red Label 28 to the CZ without missing too many pheasants!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote:The biggest thing is the older doubles have 'poor' stock geometry, now that's not a knock against the guns, but the stocks were just not designed properly. We have gotten taller as a whole so LOP is usually short, drop at comb/heel are too much and people just don't learn to shoot the gun.

Looking at the pics of this Greener you can see how much drop it has, personally I couldn't hit targets well until I put a lot of ammo down range.

I just bought a CZ 410, the stock geometry is much flatter and I hope to transition from my Red Label 28 to the CZ without missing too many pheasants!
The drop at comb and heel on the older guns relates to the way wing shooters shot in that time period . They brought the gun up and when it touched their chin they tended to let fly . I suspect when this gun gets to me the drop at heel and comb won't be as much as you think . Generally a Parker of say pre 1900 is about 2" drop at the comb and about 3" at the heel . You're off base on LOP on these old guns , most all that come into my possession and haven't been f...ked with are 14-14 1/2" which is the same LOP most field guns are now . Also the Brits even in the early days tended to put less drop in the stock . Now with all that being said I have the good fortune to be able to pick up an 1880's Parker and go shoot a good score on the skeet or trap field and immediately follow that with say a Browning Superposed and do about the same .

Gun fit with a shotgun is important to a degree . Lots of folks get over wound on this . You need to remember if you can see it you should be able to hit it provided you have enough choke . Shooting in the mid 40's out of 50 on the trap field with a side by side field gun isn't that difficult . I've broken 48 , 49 or 50 several times with my old Parker VH 12 gauge 30" field gun . Breaking 48 , 49 or 50 on the skeet field with my old circa 1884 Parker Grade 2 hammer 10 gauge isn't that difficult either and that guns choked tight and tighter .

Now I will admit I have shot over 100,000 targets in practice , competition and in the field . But I don't shoot huge amounts anymore , but it's like riding a bicycle it come right back !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Exactly my point, the shooter NEEDS time behind the gun to learn it.
I have been a competitive Olympic trap shooter since the late 80's. I have shot Remington 3200's, miss them, Brownings, Beretta's and Perazzi's for competition. Again 10's of thousands of rounds and I can pick up just about any shotgun and hit with it. The average guy doesn't have the "memory" that we have as competitive shooters do.
I see it with the guys in my bird club, they miss more birds then the hit since they don't shoot enough.
To be consistent at breaking clay targets gun fit is everything. I bought a used Perazzi, yes I hit targets but after changing stocks multiple times and finding one that FIT me my scores went up instantly.
Face it, it's a learning curve, more the better!

Having not spent much time behind a double, being a Parker, Greener what have you I can say that I would be disappointed with my scores until I had at least 500 to a thousand rounds through it.

I have a CZ Ringneck 410 due in tomorrow, my plan is to shoot some clay birds to start my learning curve before I go try it on birds.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote:Exactly my point, the shooter NEEDS time behind the gun to learn it.
I have been a competitive Olympic trap shooter since the late 80's. I have shot Remington 3200's, miss them, Brownings, Beretta's and Perazzi's for competition. Again 10's of thousands of rounds and I can pick up just about any shotgun and hit with it. The average guy doesn't have the "memory" that we have as competitive shooters do.
I see it with the guys in my bird club, they miss more birds then the hit since they don't shoot enough.
To be consistent at breaking clay targets gun fit is everything. I bought a used Perazzi, yes I hit targets but after changing stocks multiple times and finding one that FIT me my scores went up instantly.
Face it, it's a learning curve, more the better!

Having not spent much time behind a double, being a Parker, Greener what have you I can say that I would be disappointed with my scores until I had at least 500 to a thousand rounds through it.

I have a CZ Ringneck 410 due in tomorrow, my plan is to shoot some clay birds to start my learning curve before I go try it on birds.
I suspect you're gonna find the LOP kinda long on your CZ we had one for awhile that was a 28 gauge and while it was shootsble mounted when you shot it low gun it was just long enough that you'd hang it going up . When I was doing the competitive thing I had a 14 5/8" lop on my krieghoff with a Monte Carlo and used that for both trap and skeet I'd just change barrels . With a field gun if it's much over 14 1/4" I'm going to hang it going up .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yes! I agree it probably is a long LOP , I think it was listed at 14&5/8. Thanks for that heads up!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well got the old gun in today !

The condition is a bit better then the way it looks in the sellers pictures . But my .730" home cast slugs are goona be a no go in this gun after all . The right barrel with calipers at the muzzle measures .720" and the left measures .715" . In my old Parkers the choke/muzzle aren't quite so tight , so the slug with a .010" mylar wrap worked pretty well . In this gun I'm not going to try it . Gun has a bit more drop then I thought , 1 7/8" at the comb and 3" at the heel . Length of pull is 14 1/8" and the gun weighs 10 pounds and 1 ounce on my postal scales !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

As to re blueing the barrels thats up in the air at the moment . And I think I'll make a decision after hunting seasons over . They could use it for sure , but I'm on the fence now that I've seen the gun . Seems rather strange that the rest of the gun is in such good shape and the barrels have a good amount of the blue gone browned etc . It's that way under the forearm as well which leads me to believe perhaps the barrels were put up wett a time or two or something of that sort although the bores are like mirrors .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

6pt, that is REAL nice! I think the barrels have probably just have the brown worn off.

I got my CZ, the LOP is good for me. Wood has good figure, nice case colors too.

Took it pheasant hunting yesterday, first time I shot it( been deer hunting). Claro put a blue rooster and the right barrel spoke! Dropped the bird, Claro made the retrieve and I dropped at the taxidermist this evening.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote:6pt, that is REAL nice! I think the barrels have probably just have the brown worn off.

I got my CZ, the LOP is good for me. Wood has good figure, nice case colors too.

Took it pheasant hunting yesterday, first time I shot it( been deer hunting). Claro put a blue rooster and the right barrel spoke! Dropped the bird, Claro made the retrieve and I dropped at the taxidermist this evening.
Those barrels weren't browned they were blued .

Nice looking pup , rooster and CZ !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I probably don't have to tell you this but if you decide to re blue the barrels, make sure to Belgian blue them. HOT salt blue could ruin the solder joints.
I love the case color, for its age there is still great color there. Really nice wood too! GREAT FIND!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well tried my buckshot handloads in the old gun yesterday and today !

00000 not so great
0000 not any better
000 still not much

00 not to bad
0 very nice

I still wanna try #1 , #2 and #3 buck in it as well as my #1 Bismuth birdshot loads .

Sorry to say my home cast .730" slugs are a skoosh to large as they sit . I may make another sizer die and try to get them down to maybe .705" or so .

Well now those .730" slugs are to large as cast but the Lyman 525 grain Sabot slugs might work ok inside the SP-10 wad . Think I'll load six of those and see if that's any good !
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I know less than nothing about sxs shotguns, but I do know that John Wayne used Greener shotguns in Big Jake, so since I was a boy I assumed they were a good shotgun. Silly, I know, but there it is.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

beautiful !

side by side shotguns and lever action rifles.........doesn't get much better.....the real classics.
cable
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

hfcable wrote:beautiful !

side by side shotguns and lever action rifles.........doesn't get much better.....the real classics.
I likes my leverguns well enough even though I only have four now . But I'm more inclined to like Mannlicher Schoenauer with my doubles . Although in the AM I was LAN on going out and taking this new Greener loaded with 0 buck and my 2001 444 loaded with LBT 433-400GC bullets !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

sore shoulder wrote:I know less than nothing about sxs shotguns, but I do know that John Wayne used Greener shotguns in Big Jake, so since I was a boy I assumed they were a good shotgun. Silly, I know, but there it is.
I've been around SxS guns since I arrived on this earth over 55 years ago . Granted I wasn't allowed to touch them the first eight or so years and I didn't shoot them until I was 14 . I bought my DH-40 12 gauge Greener when I was 14 as a matter of fact . But there were Parker's , Smith's and Fox's in our house ever since I arrived . So one couldn't help but pick it up . Matter of fact when I was younger I was told do not bring any pump or semi autos in the house unless it was a Browning A-5 . And that's the way it was , later in life when I was on the skeet/trap trail a few 1100/11-87's made their way in the house . But they had a purpose then , my pop was of the opinion why waste time looking at them when you could look at a SxS or nice O/U .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I still want a Parker 8 gauge preferably hammerless . But the cost is very prohibitive to say nothing of getting all the stuff to load for one . Since the only readily available 8 gauge hills are the industrial ones you need to get extra tools to make these hulls usable . And getting Tom Armburst to changeover a MEC600JR , well he doesn't get in a rush . I suppose I'll just have to make do with 10's although an original Perker EH 10 that left the factory with 24" , 26" or 28" barrels would be okay . As well as a British paradox or fully rifled 10 bore double , but then that's in the same price range with an 8 gauge Parker if not more .