The World Series Of Bullet Moulds

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

The World Series Of Bullet Moulds

Post by Sixgun »

Guys, I tell ya, wonders never seize. The Good Lord has blessed me in many ways. I've been told many times...."There were only three of them made, two are in museums, and you got the last one!" Yes, very true...I'm just (was, retired) a peon factory worker with limited income but "stuff finds me".... well, I'm not going to argue.

Old moulds in the old designs are very hard to come by, and if you do, they are either beat or very expensive. Last night, just for the hell of it, I said to Mom, "Let's go to the Allentown Show tomorrow." Always eager to be chauffeured around, especially on my dime, she replied, "yes". So we cruised the 70 miles and as I was walking the tables, I spied this moulds on a table. Looking at the mould, I see it is a hard to find, in excellent condition, built in the late forties or at the latest 1954, Hensley and Gibbs 4 cavity with FOUR different designs. I noticed one to be 45-70 but was not sure of the other three. These moulds are stamped with a number and the dealer had no clue what they were. I asked, "how much?".

He said, "1 hundred". Mmmmmmmm.....I asked him if he would send it to me in the mail after I checked out at home what the mould was for. He said, "sure". I walked away and came back and slipped him a Ben Franklin and pocketed the mould in my bag.

I came home, checked out the numbers and about pelosi right there on the spot. Like I said, the old designs are hard to find but these are impossible to find.....and they were all in one mould.

First cavity....45-70 ....405 gr. plain base. (Well, that one is not too hard to find)

Second cavity.....32 Spl/32-40.....180 gr flat point gas check

Third cavity........405 W.C.F......300 gr. flat point plain base

Fourth cavity......348 W.C.F........230 gr. flat point gas check (big meplat for big animals)

I drank 2 cups of coffee and put in a big wad of Skoal mint flavor Long Cut......I was buzzed!! :D . Fired up the Lyman furnace and threw in what I had handy....1/2 Linotype../...1/2 number 2 alloy. Results were perfect. Now I have to find an 1895 in .405 or I'll just shoot them out of my '86's in 40-65 and a Hi-Wall in 40-82 with incremental sizing.

As Griff would say, "whooopppieeee"-------- :D ------6

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The World Series Of Bullet Moulds

Post by Tycer »

Cool. All nice designs.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Wow! And in an H&G mold. How fine is that!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Very cool find Six!

Eric
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Way cool man!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Man Six, the angels were really watching out for you this time. Not only a very cool mould, but you set it down (!) and walked away!?! You must be living right, that's all I can say.

Of course, now you need another rifle to properly utilize the 405 cavity. Maybe a Highwall? Rolling block? Oh, the choices. Oh, the humanity!

Cat
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

:mrgreen: fate was in your corner that day. :mrgreen:
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Very good on you. Stuff may find you but you gotta know what you're looking at also. How many hundred people looked at that mold and didn't know what they were looking at.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Well heck you knocked it out of the park with that find!!
Jack, When you sent me them 38-55 bullets a few years ago what mold was that?
was bout 280 gr with gc & a pointed type, man them shot great in my 99 375, would love
to find one of them!!

Brad
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks guys.......some people get all ecstatic on getting a Corvette.....I get off with things like bullet moulds. You know what they say,"who is happier, the 10 year old kid with a BB gun or the older guy with a $10,000 Perazzi?"

I'm happier with a $100 mould :D But I'm really happier being retired.......DONE with all the BS. My blood pressure is just a few points over being dead after getting out of the pelosi hole.

Anyway, on to Brads question. It's an NEI mould number 375 255. I shoot this bullet out of a half dozen 38-55's and the .375 Marlin I sold Eric...(yooper2) This bullet shoots so good out of an 1893 Marlin that I use this rifle against Sharps rifles from other guys at the gun club in long range matches and sometimes beat them or give them some hard competition.

For some reason the bullets come out heavy. I've been told that the guy who took over Walts (his SIL) business has a problem with his nose and I'm done with that azz hole after buying a dozen moulds from him. Last year I sent him $162 to make me a mould and waited two months...nothing...so I email him and says he got the check but is still "working on the mould". That's the last I heard from him and that was a year ago. Will not return e-mails and the phone is out of order. BUT HIS WEBSITE IS STILL UP....so as a warning DONT SEND HIM A DIME. I couldn't care less what his problems are ....someone stiffs me and I'll screw the bastard every chance I get. Then I hear he is an illegal Mexican that likes coke and not the version that you drink.

Hers a pic Brad and if you need some let me know as I have a huge casting session coming up after the holidays. Just send Boots here back east and I'll put her to work casting so you can have them for free. :D Say "Hi" to my cyber gal. Your a lucky man Brad!------6

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Thanks Jack!!
Too bad the outfit had to take a nose dive! really a great bullet!!
most likely will keep boots in Wyo. but if you get bored with all your time off I may take ya up
on making some bullets for me, I have 3 molds I use for my guns so am ok but got spoiled with
that bullet!

Brad
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

After that you should have run out and bought lottery tickets...... :mrgreen:
Merle from PA
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

What a cool mould bro!
Sounds like your retirement is off to a great start Jack. Good for you bud.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Although, unless that .40 drops 'em about .410, I couldn't use it...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Nice find! Interesting mold! Apparently the original owner had at least 4 different caliber rifles to feed.

Sorry to hear of the issue with NEI. It is certainly not the same company since Walt passed away. As I understand it, his daughter took over and her husband ran the manufacturing side. Perhaps things have changed since then.

I have 1 NEI mold purchased when Walt was still in charge. It's a 2 cavity .22 caliber, 1 cavity 45 gr for the Hornet and 1 cavity a 55 gr. for the .22-250. It is an excellent mold.

Going forward, I would suggest that you take a look at http://www.accuratemolds.com Click on a bullet pic and you will see a larger bullet profile with dimensions.
Tom is a top notch mold maker. He uses CNC equipment and has over 1,000 mold designs(!), many of them designed by his customers.

I have 9 of his molds and they are top notch. Having designed a bullet then waiting for the mold to arrive within a few weeks is like being an expectant father! :D

Another good source is http://noebulletmolds.com
I have two of their molds and they are well made. I do prefer the tapered alignment pins that Accurate Molds uses though.

Have fun with your new mold. :D

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

GREAT FIND SIX! Can't say I have ever seen a mould that drops 4 different calibers.
Now I'm sorry I didn't go to she show, maybe if I had and we met up some of your luck would have rubbed off !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

GunnyMack wrote:GREAT FIND SIX! Can't say I have ever seen a mould that drops 4 different calibers.
Now I'm sorry I didn't go to she show, maybe if I had and we met up some of your luck would have rubbed off !

Gunny......I've been going to that show for 40 years and I've never seen it this way....dead.......even though it was a Sunday, the aisles were near empty. The dealers told me it was not much busier on Saturday. I don't see the fear factor stepping in as this show is a collectors show. Dunno....Oaks in a couple of weeks but that show turns me off as it's full of the Philly crowd.----6

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yeah Six I don't care for Oaks either. The older I get the less I like crowds.
Maybe everyone has relaxed after the election and they are Christmas shopping?
I spent the weekend behind the dog hunting Chinese yard birds!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

SUPERCOOL! Most people over look the smaller stuff at shows. That is the main reason I go to shows is for all the smaller items moulds, levergun parts,etc. I come home all excited when I score something like that mould. My wife just stares at me , like I am losing it.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

BenT wrote:SUPERCOOL! Most people over look the smaller stuff at shows. That is the main reason I go to shows is for all the smaller items moulds, levergun parts,etc. I come home all excited when I score something like that mould. My wife just stares at me , like I am losing it.
Absolutely! 99.9% of guns are over priced at shows..the other .01% are MSRP. I've found incredible highway robberies in the smaller stuff....rare tang sights in junk boxes on tables, out of print books for $2, moulds, out of print jacketed bullets, gun parts, etc. But...I have robbed a few guns like that 3 digit like new Model 71 Deluxe for a grand that had junk magazines piled on it and the 2 digit Colt Lightning rifle that a thousand people looked at but failed to notice the serial number for a little more than a grand.......and.....and.....-------Mr Mould :D
----

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

GunnyMack wrote:GREAT FIND SIX! Can't say I have ever seen a mould that drops 4 different calibers.
I think that is the perfect way to get an excuse to buy more guns.... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

A great find needed a name change eh?

I'm sure you were in a flux and had to cast about a bit before deciding.

I mean, ya gotta just rub it in as much as possible, Ergot, Mr Mould. Rye not?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Old Ironsights wrote:A great find needed a name change eh?

I'm sure you were in a flux and had to cast about a bit before deciding.

I mean, ya gotta just rub it in as much as possible, Ergot, Mr Mould. Rye not?
OI,
Look, you know I'm retarded. Don't know what it is but I get more of a kick out of a $100 gun related item than I do out of a $1,000 gun. Yes, these things necessitate a name change. After a few days I'll wind down and go back to being somewhat half normal.

Well, gotta go and hug my new mould!---6----Mr Ingot......Mr.Mould...and soon to be...."Mr. Tart"

yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Sixgun wrote:
Anyway, on to Brads question. It's an NEI mould number 375 255. I shoot this bullet out of a half dozen 38-55's and the .375 Marlin I sold Eric...(yooper2) This bullet shoots so good out of an 1893 Marlin that I use this rifle against Sharps rifles from other guys at the gun club in long range matches and sometimes beat them or give them some hard competition.

I can attest to that! It also shoots the Ranch Dog 235gr bullet better than most folks will believe. The gal shot a nice fat doe with it a couple of weeks ago in fact.

Eric
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Great find !!! I really like the 348. Looks like it was attempting to closely replicate the 250gr silvertip nose (dang fine shape). In days gone by, I had accumulated all the old Lyman 348s and a few others but never found a combo (nose/weight/etc) that looked as good for hunting as your 348.

I also have an old NEI (Walt's) 40cal 330grain. I bought it off a commercial caster that was going out of business. Out of the mold it mikes .4135+. I size it down to .410 for my 40-90SBN and run it through a .414 (hand polished out from a 413) for my Miroku M95 405. The 414 doesn't size but the bullet is perfect as is.. just for lubing. Even at 1800fps, that 330 lets your shoulder know something serious has happened when you pull the trigger.

Enjoy those great molds.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Must have been a pretty well off gent that had that many rifles back then to feed..! Since you found your holy grail, can I have the 135gr 38/55 Lyman mold then? :) Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

3leggedturtle wrote:Must have been a pretty well off gent that had that many rifles back then to feed..! Since you found your holy grail, can I have the 135gr 38/55 Lyman mold then? :) Todd/3leg

How much? I'm a capitalist. :D ------6

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I love old quality molds, and that's a beauty! There are a few great mold makers today, but I still prefer buying nice old molds as they are a proven design! I think I've got about 4 dozen molds; mostly old Ideal or Lyman. Have a couple H&G molds and they are wonderful designs!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/