Interesting Vintage Savage 1899 Ad

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Interesting Vintage Savage 1899 Ad

Post by Pete44ru »

I ran across this old Savage ad while surfing, and thought the different .303 Savage cartridge definitions in the ad of interest, as I've never before heard of them.

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Interesting Vintage Savage 1899 Ad

Post by hfcable »

that is neat.....wish i knew how to duplicate each of those loads.
cable
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

hfcable wrote:that is neat.....wish i knew how to duplicate each of those loads.
I've always liked looking at the old ads since I was a kid and did learn a bit from them.

As for Harold's desire to duplicate the old loads, I don't see a problem. Blackpowder is readily available as is the knowledge of paper patching. The original 190 gr. jacketed bullets could be found with a little bit of internet searching.

Finding original ammo in the strange variations would be next to impossible. What would be impossible is to find the original loading components. Powder could be somewhat duplicated and with a stroke of luck, maybe some of the original powders that were used for the small game loads in the .303.....but to find those original .303 "miniature bullets" ??? Maybe in the Savage museum.

To think I had 5 hundred of these and blasted them at rocks out of an 1892 in 32-20. They mike at .311 and boy, those bullets shot like there's no tomorrow with a load of 4227. I'm sorry that I can't open the right box as it's still factory sealed.-----6

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Sixgun wrote:

OOooooH ! ! (pant, pant)

JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

311 is 7.7 jap too.
JOHNNY WACKO
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzevezzx/john ... dproducts/
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Pete,
Thank you for that vintage ad. I had not seen that one before. Neat! :D

Interestingly, in other literature, Savage claimed that the .303 . 15 . Covered Miniature round was accurate to 200 yards. It initially contained 15 grs. of smokeless powder (early references indicated Rifleite powder) but later (after 1903) was loaded with 8 grs. of a faster burning smokeless....Hercules Infallable, which has a burning rate similar to Unique.

At one time, I owned a box of the .303 Covered Miniature (Full Patch 100 gr. bullet like the ones in Sixgun's pic ) cartridges. I eventually sold it to a Savage collector.

I had a few extra rounds and not having a rifle chambered in .303, I dissected them and loaded the components into .30-30 brass.
The powder looked similar to Unique and the charge weight was 8 grs. Velocity ran 1,495 f.p.s.
I then loaded some 100 gr. Speers over 8 grs of Unique which produced similar ballistics.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/618190 ... box-of-100

The .303 .5 . Miniature used a 100 gr lead alloy bullet, loaded with 5 grs. of Smokeless and was said to produce around 1000-1100 f.p.s. 5 grs of Unique under a 100 gr. cast bullet is a pretty good replication. At one time Ideal made a bullet mold that was the equivalent of the Savage bullet...It was the Ideal 31110. The Lee 100 gr. RN mold for the .32 S&W is a close copy

w30wcf
Last edited by w30wcf on Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

You're welcome, John - thanks for the neat explanation of the Savage .303 miniature loading !

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Oh Pete, stop the panting and heavy breathing. Here in Trump Land, where a dollar is always to be made, for $10, I'll let you handle this 100% unmolested 98% Savage that was made the same time as that ad you posted but is in the Winchester caliber called the 30 W.C.F. For an additional $5, plus postage, I'll send a fired case that was shot from this rifle :D ------6

Edit...just found the box and the hang tag from 1911 in the attic but that will be $6 extra. :D

Last edited by Sixgun on Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Like to see a cartridge company come out with a 30-30 small game/turkey load. Guess The days of the one gun does it all, past along time ago. :cry:
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

tman wrote:Like to see a cartridge company come out with a 30-30 small game/turkey load. Guess The days of the one gun does it all, past along time ago. :cry:

Tman,
Do you handload? A 115 grain cast bullet designed for the 32-20 behind 7 grains of Unique would make an an excellent turkey load. Drop 2 grains of powder for a squirrel load.

You know something....Tman has an excellent idea for an enterprising guy who wants to make a few extra bucks. You really don't see extreme reduced loads available for big game calibers. Just thinking out of my head....say the customer provided the brass and the postage......$10 for a box of 20....100 minimum rounds......brass extra if needed.......

But then the Feds come in as they will require a manufacturers license and you have to show a brick and mortar building....and insurances....and.....local licenses......lit would have to be face to face.

The government sure knows how to make a lot of money for producing nothing.-----6