Kind of neat handheld reloading press

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Kind of neat handheld reloading press

Post by AJMD429 »

http://buchananprecisionmachine.com/pro ... ding-press

Read about it in the February 2017 (love how I get it in December 2016 :roll: ) Bandleader Magazine.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Kind of neat handheld reloading press

Post by Pete44ru »

It reminds me of the Huntington Die hand press that RCBS used to sell.

KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I tried a Lee Hand Press for a while. While this one looks well made, as their own site says, you need three hands with such presses sometimes, unless you bolt it down (in which case you might as well have a bench press). My "bench" press is bolted to a small piece of plywood I clamp to a bench. It's just about as portable as a hand press.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I bought a Lee hand press also. It seems kinda awkward so I have never used it.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Chuck, you gotta try the Lee handpress. I would only resize and bell cases with mine, then finally put the auto prime in it and primed 200 cases quicker and easier than I thought it would be, when I get home this spring gonna bring it with me to load 9mm and 40S-W at the cabin, just to see how it goes.
Last edited by 3leggedturtle on Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

3leggedturtle wrote:Chuck, you gotta try the Lee handpress. I would only resize and bell cases with mine, then finally put the auto prime in it and did 200 cases quicker and easier than I thought it would be, when I get home this spring gonna bring it with me to load 9mm and 40S-W at the cabin, just to see how it goes.
I really like my Lee HandPress, although I'm still mostly using it to deprime and sometimes resize/bell.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I'm going to give my Lee handpress to my son so I have an excuse to buy the one with the breech lock. :D
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I just use the Lee hand press for depriming. The one activity I can do in front of the TV. I drilled a hole... (well several actually, until I located the center hole) to easily dump the spent primers from the ram.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

IIRC didn't the Huntington press have a strange size of dies that no one else used?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TWHBC »

Lymon 310 is one I have used since the 60's. Does have limitations as everyone knows, requires nonstandard dies and does not full length resize. Requires case lube, and too me has a nice priming feature with its priming die. And no hammering! Design reaches back into history for a touch of the past!
But I have dies, several handle sets for everything I load for, and at this time do not have multiple guns in the same cartridge, and as with many things retired, not necessarily in a hurry! Portability does have advantages at times. Skeeter Skelton did an article about this many years ago. Needing loads from target to full power while in rural :mrgreen: West Texas, on an extended camping, working adventure, with a .357 magnum revolver and 92 carbine as the noted arms he was carrying.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Rusty wrote:IIRC didn't the Huntington press have a strange size of dies that no one else used?
The Huntington uses standard dies, its the Lyman 310 you may be thinking of.

Ive always admired the Huntington Compact, seems like a well made item. I use the Lyman 310s a fair bit though, and keep one for what calibers I travel with, along with the full length size die from the bench press setup. I can often borrow a press from someone to size, then finish at my leisure with the 310. I can load with neck sizing with the 310, but the shells don't always fit all other guns in that chambering easily.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I like the Lee hand press. The press operates smoothly. But for de-priming the 310 with universal de-priming die is the fastest surest thing I’ve ever used . I can adjust it so the primer will fall so uniformly I can drop them in a coffee cup in front of me at the table . I’ll do as much reloading with the 310s as I can.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I've had the Lee hand press for years and have yet to use it. Need to fix that.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I still prefer the whack-a-mole. The knuckle bashers really suck if you are doing compressed loads.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I broke the pin in a couple die sets, so I use a de-capping die and the handpress for just that purpose. No more broken pins... FWIW, I loaded 100 45-70s with the hand press, and dippers and they shot just as good as the ones I do on the real press, and powder measure/scales....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Anyway, back to the OP... :mrgreen:

I followed the development of the Buchanan press on castboolits.com. Lost touch with the fellow and the last I heard he was just starting production. It's reported to be a good sturdy press, and nothing like a Lee handheld (I too used one for a while).
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Ben_Rumson wrote:I like the Lee hand press. The press operates smoothly. But for de-priming the 310 with universal de-priming die is the fastest surest thing I’ve ever used . I can adjust it so the primer will fall so uniformly I can drop them in a coffee cup in front of me at the table . I’ll do as much reloading with the 310s as I can.

+1000 on depriming with the 310, I don't have 310 die sets for every cartridge I reload for but I do have 310

shell adapter's for every cartridge I reload for.

--------J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

BlaineG wrote:I broke the pin in a couple die sets, so I use a de-capping die and the handpress for just that purpose. No more broken pins... FWIW, I loaded 100 45-70s with the hand press, and dippers and they shot just as good as the ones I do on the real press, and powder measure/scales....
The most consistent loads I've ever built were with dippers.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

J35 wrote:
Ben_Rumson wrote:I like the Lee hand press. The press operates smoothly. But for de-priming the 310 with universal de-priming die is the fastest surest thing I’ve ever used . I can adjust it so the primer will fall so uniformly I can drop them in a coffee cup in front of me at the table . I’ll do as much reloading with the 310s as I can.

+1000 on depriming with the 310, I don't have 310 die sets for every cartridge I reload for but I do have 310

shell adapter's for every cartridge I reload for.

--------J
Interesting, I broke several decapping pins with the 310s when I first had mine, I got tired of replacing the pins, so bought one of the Lee decapping tools that are used with a hammer and leave them in with the 310s. Havent replaced a decapping pin in a 310 tool since about 1983 or so. Usually just remove them from the die if its in combination with neck sizing.

I think Ive broken one decapping pin in RCBS bench dies. Have reloaded tens of thousands of rounds. They can get torqued and not be centered properly, you can hear the pin proinging off the edge of the flash hole.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Kinda recently started using the 310 tool for 30/30 and also had problems with de-capping, so got a spare set of dies and dedicated the resize/decap die to decap only, no more broken decaping pins.
At one point I got one of the Huntington press's and tried using it for a little while, but it just didn't float my boat, so moved on to the Lee handloading sets and Lee Hand Press (use for decaping and repriming when I'm not using the 310 tool for 30/30 and .357 mag.) Most reloading is still done on a RCBS RS single stage press.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

One cool thing about the Lee Hand Press is that if you're shoulders are shot, you can work it like a ThighMaster.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

BlaineG wrote:One cool thing about the Lee Hand Press is that if you're shoulders are shot, you can work it like a ThighMaster.

+1 LOL
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

BlaineG wrote:One cool thing about the Lee Hand Press is that if you're shoulders are shot, you can work it like a ThighMaster.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
11B30
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I own one of the prototypes that Fred Huntington made before they became mass produced. It's what the press in this topic copies, as have some others also. The original Huntington is a very nicely built hand press, and I use mine often at the range for load workup. It and my Harrell's powder measure make loading anywhere a slick deal! I can even take them out for a week of hunting or varmint shooting, and not worry about running out of ammo if I have bullets and powder!

Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

I have one of the first runs of these Buchanan presses and they are very well made. He designed it around the Huntington but with improvements. I was able to easily full length resize .30-06 brass without any strain and there was room to load 220 grain bullets in the .30-06 as well. It was different than a bench mounted press for sure but at no point did I need to clamp the press down or need another set of hands.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

HawkCreek wrote:I have one of the first runs of these Buchanan presses and they are very well made. He designed it around the Huntington but with improvements.
What "improvements" over the Huntington? I don't see anything that's really different? Especially when compared to the pre mass production Huntington.
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

marlinman93 wrote:
HawkCreek wrote:I have one of the first runs of these Buchanan presses and they are very well made. He designed it around the Huntington but with improvements.
What "improvements" over the Huntington? I don't see anything that's really different? Especially when compared to the pre mass production Huntington.
I don't remember a lot of it but I was looking for an old Huntington when these came out. I know the handles (and I assume the entire press) is longer so you get a bit more leverage. Probably doesnt matter if you're doing pistol ammo but like I said I was able to full length size .30-06 without issue.

He talks about improvements when he introduced it and I was intrigued enough to gamble on one. Frankly I'm glad I got one of these instead of paying out the nose for an older used Huntington. If I'd have already had a Huntington I probably wouldn't have gotten one but this is the way to go for currently available presses this size.

If you care to read about it here are a few links.

Here is the grand introduction:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... Hand-Press

And here it is straight from the source:
http://buchananprecisionmachine.com/pro ... ding-press
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

It appears the improvement may be the longer handles, and CNC machined aluminum vs. cast aluminum. If it's less than a used Huntington, then its a better choice just for that reason. I really like mine, and this prototype is all steel, except for the anodized aluminum handle spacers. It full length resizes anything I shoot with no problem.
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

Hope this is ok:

If anyone is a member of the Castboolits forum I see he is having another sale of these presses. $180 for a press if you're a member over there. The quality on these is top notch!

Another person with a wide selection of old reloading equipment presses compared it to a Decker press and said the following:
"More Leverage and Larger Capacity
Able to standup on the table by itself
Controls spent primers once removed
Better fit and finish over the Huntington Version
I'm still using both but prefer Randy's of the two.
"