Question regarding garret ammo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
destroyer4570
Levergunner

Question regarding garret ammo

Post by destroyer4570 »

I am new to the forum and let me say that I really like this forum over all the others i've read.I have a question, I read somewhere that the new marlin .44 will not fire the heavier loads from garret ammunitiom such as the 300gr due to the new micro groove rilfeing and that you should stick with ammo under 270gr.Has anyone else heard of that,Is their any truth in that and what is your take on the matter?any info ya'll can provide will be helpfull thankyou.
"ONE SHOT,ONE KILL"
BigBoreWhore
Levergunner

Post by BigBoreWhore »

The rate of twist is too slow for heavy bullets...
Overkill, When is dead not DEAD enough!
AKA- Raffica=(Full Auto or Burst)
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

The Garret ammo will not cycle in a lever action it's too long. As said above the twist rate for bullets heavier than 270 grains or so will not stabilize due to the twist rate being to slow.
Tumbleweeds
Levergunner 1.0

Some of Garrett's .44 mag ammo will cycle in a rifle.

Post by Tumbleweeds »

Look on his web site. He lists several loads in .44 mag and by each tells you what to shoot it in. Same for the .45-70.

I don't remember the url but just google garrett ammunition and you'll find it.
OK, OK, I made the jump.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Actually newer Marlins have a faster twist rate, 1:20 I think, and microgroove works extremely well with cast bullets that are sized correctly, which is around .001" over actual bore diameter.

Slower twist microgroove barrels will stabilize bullets to 290g if they fit properly and are driven to high enough velocity.

Some shooters report getting 300+g bullets to stabilize out of the 1:30 barrels, but I could not.
destroyer4570
Levergunner

Post by destroyer4570 »

Thanks for all those who answered my question,I have one more question what about the Buffalo bore ammo,could it be fired in my .44mag marlin leveraction?I also have a 45/70 marlin guide gun can that fire the garreett ammo or the Buffalo bore ammo and if so what grain?Any help you can provide will be helpfull and thanks again.
"ONE SHOT,ONE KILL"
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

If you look at BuffaloBore's site, it says for which guns the .44 Mag ammo is suitable. Mr. Sundles is very careful to do this. www.buffalobore.com[quote]What do we mean above by “modifiedâ€
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson