The Eliason snowmobile

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

The Eliason snowmobile

Post by Pitchy »

I`ve been wanting to build one of these for years, I can only imagine how cool it would be riding one with a Harley or Indian motor on it.

http://www.eliason-snowmobile.com/
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Eliason snowmobile

Post by JohndeFresno »

Makes me wish I were in snow country again!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Being a Harley rider the thought of riding a snow sled that makes the same sound is pretty neat, lets see gotta find a 70`s sportster engine, bend some oak and away we go. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

That was an interesting read. After owning several sleds, I do believe the writer embellished the effectiveness of these early sleds. Personally, I got sick of working on them as much as riding them. Replacing the cleats every time I hit a rock, two cycle spark plugs always fouling out.....ripped off windshields from barb wire fences when I was too drunk to see them in time.

I bet you could do it though Pitchy.....buying up a couple of wrecked/worn out sleds for the necessary sprockets, track, ski's, whatever. A Harley motor? Mmmmm....wouldn't you want a 2 cycle for faster acceleration?---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Sixgun wrote:That was an interesting read. After owning several sleds, I do believe the writer embellished the effectiveness of these early sleds. Personally, I got sick of working on them as much as riding them. Replacing the cleats every time I hit a rock, two cycle spark plugs always fouling out.....ripped off windshields from barb wire fences when I was too drunk to see them in time.

I bet you could do it though Pitchy.....buying up a couple of wrecked/worn out sleds for the necessary sprockets, track, ski's, whatever. A Harley motor? Mmmmm....wouldn't you want a 2 cycle for faster acceleration?---6
No no no, way off bud, we`re talking old school, no newer sled stuff, no two cycle smoken whining excuses for an engine.
I`m talkin oil leaking noisy music making four cycle twin cylinder tech in a home made wooden toboggan, it don`t get any better than that. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Great project Lenn. I don't know much about Harley engines, would weight be a factor or not?
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Awesome Pitchey..I agree old school all the way. what fun. :D .
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

OK Pitchy, now we're talking.

You could dump a lot of weight and bulk if you use an Evo big twin and ditched the primary and transmission. Just run a snowmobile type clutch off the output side of the crank. Run a rear engine and drive like an old Polaris Sno Traveler.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Looking forward to the video of you taking it for it's maiden voyage!!
Better hurry, soon be spring :lol: :lol:
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks, I think that`s why they used the smaller lighter 45 engine, if ya do a search on Utube there`s a few on there running.
One went 50 mph.
Don`t think I`ll get to building one this year to many other things going on but I`d like to someday.
OldWin, I figure a older engine that runs points to simplify the wiring no fancy electronic bull.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Pitchy wrote:Thanks, I think that`s why they used the smaller lighter 45 engine, if ya do a search on Utube there`s a few on there running.
One went 50 mph.
Don`t think I`ll get to building one this year to many other things going on but I`d like to someday.
OldWin, I figure a older engine that runs points to simplify the wiring no fancy electronic bull.

Thats true Pitchy. It's not like you'll be putting 5k miles a year on it.

Yeah, the old flat head 45" would work pretty good in that application.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

OldWin wrote:
Pitchy wrote:Thanks, I think that`s why they used the smaller lighter 45 engine, if ya do a search on Utube there`s a few on there running.
One went 50 mph.

Thats true Pitchy. It's not like you'll be putting 5k miles a year on it.

Yeah, the old flat head 45" would work pretty good in that application.
Thing is they're hard to find and spendy, that`s why I was thinking a older sporty engine.
Though I do have a old generator with the cutest little inline two cylinder ya ever seen that could be used, water cooled too.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Is this frigging cool or what.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrVU7bRHaUY
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

That is pretty cool!
Yeah, the Sporty setup would be cheaper for sure.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have lived in snow country My whole life. snow-go's have always been noisy things I saw no use for. these old machines really get My attention. reading the text in the original post and watching these in use just looks like old fashioned fun.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqROT_UcnCc
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

.45colt wrote:I have lived in snow country My whole life. snow-go's have always been noisy things I saw no use for. these old machines really get My attention. reading the text in the original post and watching these in use just looks like old fashioned fun.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqROT_UcnCc
That video was filmed in a town about 30 miles from me, if I`d know that was there I would of went and seen it. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I like it Pitchy. Just watch ebay for a bargain motor. I bought a 2010 96 inch with 800 miles on it for $500. Complete with injectors, air cleaner and ignition. I guess I could donate my iron head sporty as I've not turned a tap on it in a year. Maybe the legs will get to where I can get in the shop more.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks pard, I`d like to get a start on it, at least get the boards steamed and bent then I`d have to keep going.
Hope ya get feeling better soon.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

Reading the description I thought of a project I've had rolling around in my head for a few years now. Those old toboggan sleds are sure neat but not what I thought of!

I'd like to take my old near worn out SkiDoo 600 and turn it into something like this (not mine):

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Not enough snow here in the Dallas area to ever need one. They are cool looking.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks, cool looking machine there but more of a antique guy. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I think you need this one.
P1380775_H45.JPG
I built a springer from parts baskets back in the day. scrounged parts from all over the SF bay area. worked driving a harley side-hack delivery rig in the city and rode it all over the place on the off duty interludes, collecting parts. That was one fun ride.

stupidly sold the bike, which was fun to ride on the hwy 1 ride to pt reyes that started at the Sausalito heliport. loved blowing off the then new yamahahas that couldn't get past me in the uphill twisties because they couldn't shift and and get around me between the esses. it was hilarious. the 45 had so much torque that I rarely shifted. ticked off the whole stack behind me, but once we hit the straightaway they were gone in a cloud of two cycle smoke.

if I had that bike and wanted to try the snow machine I'd be thinking about some way to set the bike up on the toboggan.

can't wait to see what you come up with Pitch
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks Grizz, we are on the same wave length, cool beans man 8)
I was in Sausalito in 69, used to sit looking out the window on the bay looking across at Alcatraz island and watching the choppers go by, I was 15 years old.
I`ll build that toboggan sometime soon alright, have to it`s to cool not too.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Bout the only problem with the 70's magneto driven sportsters, were startin them. I remember one guy, that every morning I would ride by, heading to work. I bet he never started that thing in less than 5-6 kicks. Once I actually saw it dump him onto the handle bars.

I don't know how his ankles stood up to that punishment.

I think a sporty engine sounds ideal, but I'd personally look for electric start. Heck my old Honda XL600 used to wear me out. That cantankerous beast would start first kick one time, and the 20th kick the next. Sold that hateful thing to some young guy. That thing ran like a scalded dog. 600cc in a 350lb bike geared for dirt, yea it would flat move, and topped out a 100, and got there quick.

If it only would have started easier!!!!!

Good luck on the Harley mobile. Would sure sound cool runnin through the woods. Kinda cool with the looks from other snow runners when idling, "potato, potato, potato".
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

handirifle wrote:Bout the only problem with the 70's magneto driven sportsters, were startin them. I remember one guy, that every morning I would ride by, heading to work. I bet he never started that thing in less than 5-6 kicks. Once I actually saw it dump him onto the handle bars.

I think a sporty engine sounds ideal, but I'd personally look for electric start. Heck my old Honda XL600 used to wear me out. That cantankerous beast would start first kick one time, and the 20th kick the next. Sold that hateful thing to some young guy. That thing ran like a scalded dog. 600cc in a 350lb bike geared for dirt, yea it would flat move, and topped out a 100, and got there quick.

Good luck on the Harley mobile. Would sure sound cool runnin through the woods. Kinda cool with the looks from other snow runners when idling, "potato, potato, potato".
Off topic, but, I had an XR600. Awesome dirt bike. The trick to fixing the hard starts and flame outs was to raise the needle one notch and back out the air screw an eighth to a quarter turn. Problem gone.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

handirifle wrote:Bout the only problem with the 70's magneto driven sportsters, were startin them. I remember one guy, that every morning I would ride by, heading to work. I bet he never started that thing in less than 5-6 kicks. Once I actually saw it dump him onto the handle bars.

Had a 72 sporty with electric start and had points ignition, that would be what I`d like to find or actually both kick and electric start would be better yet, I put the kicker on my XLH.
As usual money is the holdup so will see what happens, a engine out of a four wheeler would work good also but then I`d have to go through the woods shouting Harley sounds. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

A Jap bike v-twin would be cheap and easy to source but just wouldn't "sound right", I imagine.
Maybe one of the old Yamaha parallel twins out of a late 70's XS-650. They are a dead ringer for a Triumph motor.
I know, still not the same, but would be less spendy.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

OldWin wrote:A Jap bike v-twin would be cheap and easy to source but just wouldn't "sound right", I imagine.
Maybe one of the old Yamaha parallel twins out of a late 70's XS-650. They are a dead ringer for a Triumph motor.
I know, still not the same, but would be less spendy.
Agree, we have to weigh out the options.
Might be a while before I get to it I want to build a out door railway for my steam loco`s first and if we move things are all off for a while.
Wish everything could be good but that`s the way of the world. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

True, my friend, but if it was good all the time we would be tempted to take it for granted. :D
The bad makes the good that much better.

Too bad the S&S reproduction motors are so expensive. Think how cool it'd be to have a Knucklehead powered toboggan. :D

Reminds me! Back in the big timber heyday up here, they used a local invention called the Lombard Log Hauler. It was a steam powered tractor of sorts. In winter, they made ice roads in the woods for them. Yes, hills could be scary. They hitch big sleds like rail cars behind them in line and piled the logs on them. They usually hauled them to the cut in pieces and assembled them on site. When finished, they left them. Their bones are still in the far reaches of northern Maine woods.
In one instance, they did this with full size steam locomotives. They can still be seen grown up in the woods.