Got scammed on Armslist

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Got scammed on Armslist

Post by fordwannabe »

:( Last week I saw a Marlin SC for sale on Armslist. I responded to the ad, guy asks to pay with PayPal friends and family so I pay fee not him, pretty usual request. He says his PP account is a different email so pay this to blah blah blah. I send the money he asks about ffl info for shipping. 6 or 7 email over a day, then silence. I get a email from somebody asking why I sent him money. We swap phone numbers discuss that the guy selling the "marlin" owed him $500 so the guy with the "marlin" had me send him the money for the gun, unbeknownst to me. Then I get a notification from Armslist this might be a scam ad, gee thanks the notification is 24 hours after payment. Well long story short my bank says it will cover the money. I hear nothing from the guy until Friday when he states he has been having difficulty with pp, so could I please ask for a refund. I explain that pp stated since it went to a third party they will not, at which point, I tell him I am pretty sure it's a scam. Well I have heard nothing since then. Bottom line this SUCKS, and be careful. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Got scammed on Armslist

Post by jnyork »

A call to the County Sheriff or Chief of Police in his area might be worthwhile. Might not get your money back but a scam involving interstate transfer of funds and a firearm might get some action.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Another reason I only deal with individuals I know.... This forum has a nearly impeccable record for fair deals...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:12 pm Another reason I only deal with individuals I know.... This forum has a nearly impeccable record for fair deals...
Never been ripped off here.

Scary world out there otherwise...!\
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Maybe it's just me, but that 3rd party payment request would have raised a red flag - IOW, a deal-breaker.

Sometimes, the prize (and/or the price) is just too good to be true, even though it's not recognized as such - aka: love (for whatever) is blind.

I'm glad to hear that your bank is standing behind you.

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

No offense, but folks sometimes seen to wonder why I insist FTF or if coming from out of state they ship it to an FFL of my choosing (have to use an FFL either way anyway). Funds to be remitted upon my inspection. If someone is selling something and doesn't want to do what is safe for both of us, I figure it's a scam from the get go.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Armslist has a bad reputation. You're not the first to get scammed there! I'd avoid them like the plague!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Got a neg f/b because I returned not as advertised rifle within the allowed 3 day inspection time.. Stinkin Hosers ....
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Who would even think of doing stuff like that? Seems like it'd be easier to just get a job.
I bought one gun from Armslist. A Smith and Wesson model 19. It was about 50 miles from me. It was a positive experience but I guess I won't push my luck.

Sorry this happened to you. :(
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:07 pm
BlaineG wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:12 pm Another reason I only deal with individuals I know.... This forum has a nearly impeccable record for fair deals...

Nor me. However, I was about to negotiate a deal with one poster here who scammed somebody at this site a while back. Before I negotiated, I received a PM from one of the frequent Leverguns posters who shall remain unnamed. Thanks to that message, my money stayed safe in my proverbial pocket.

I have had quite a few transactions through Leverguns, all very good ones. Good folks here.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

OldWin wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:57 pm Who would even think of doing stuff like that? Seems like it'd be easier to just get a job.
I bought one gun from Armslist. A Smith and Wesson model 19. It was about 50 miles from me. It was a positive experience but I guess I won't push my luck.

Sorry this happened to you. :(
I wouldn't hesitate to do a deal through any venue if the seller was within 100 miles and we could meet to make the deal.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yeah. Still kind of freaky though. Both the wife and I went, we're well armed, and stayed kind of spread out.

Felt a little bad after, as he seemed a really nice guy.
Maybe should have skipped the whole thing, but I REALLY wanted that 19. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I didn't even think about the second email addy as I have two private emails and two work emails soooo. Prolly my fault caught up in the moment thing but still wondering why he would send to someone else if he was a true scammer, why not keep both. Unfortunately no way to know Where the dude is as only have an email addy. Have never bought anything on Armslist and won't in the future. Just a headsup!
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

fordwannabe wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:04 pm I didn't even think about the second email addy as I have two private emails and two work emails soooo.
I have 10 different email accounts that I use regularly. Probably 3-4 more that I don't use, but could. :lol:
Last edited by cas on Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slow is just slow.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:07 pm

+1 all counts! :shock:
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Well there is a certain Marlin 336A that has been rebored by JES to 35/30 that was for sale in the classified section. It should be here friday and I have no fear nks to Mainehunter. Great communication, tracking numbers all as it should be. Thanks George.
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

Good info and reasons to not deal until address and phone numbers have been verified.
last deal that went bad on me (GB seller) cost me $300 to fly there and meet FTF. Spokeo did the research for me.
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein