Article on Barrington Shootout

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
saw whet owl
Levergunner

Article on Barrington Shootout

Post by saw whet owl »

I enjoyed the Barrington Shootout article in the most recent issue of the American Rifleman. It was an historical episode with which I was not very familiar. And the description of the firearms used was interesting; especially the Colt Monitor, Colt Super 38, and the Winchester 1907 rifle. The author was especially enamored of the Monitor.

I, in turn, was enamored with the Winchester 1907. It sounds like the 1907 could still be an effective deer rig today, under the right conditions. I wish the Remington Model 8 / 81 had been designed with a detachable magazine, as the 1907 was.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Article on Barrington Shootout

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I read that piece with interest as well. Such a tragedy that our good guys were so poorly trained.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Training for Law Enforcement Officers was spotty at best many years ago. It often led to officers being out gunned and often out shot. There were notable exceptions in the shooting category. Bill Tilgham was one of them, as was James Butler Hickok.
Bonnie and Clyde got away with their depredations because of their armaments.
The incident where two Nazi assassins almost made it inside the White House during a shootout with the undergunned guards during WWII was a big wake up call.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

> The incident where two Nazi assassins almost made it inside the White House during a shootout with the undergunned guards during WWII was a big wake up call.

By chance do you mean the attempt by Puerto Rican nationalists to hit Truman 5 years after the end of the war while he was living in Blair House?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attempted ... _S._Truman
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Great article!