Better Grips for NAA Mini Revolvers (added new pix)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Better Grips for NAA Mini Revolvers (added new pix)

Post by Old No7 »

The Mini Revolvers made by NAA (North American Arms) are supposed to be small -- but for many of us, the stock grips are just a tad too small to allow a really good grip...

A company from Sacramento CA is making the "Revision CV" Grip (click for link), which adds another finger grip below the stock grip, adds a little bit at the top of the grip, and has side extensions which match up with the cylinder and help to prevent snagging. Overall, it doesn't seem to add too much bulk and really feels great in the hand. And with the taller/flatter grip, versus the rounded birdshead grip style that I had before, it also seems to "print less" when carried in the pocket of my jeans. They make these for the 22 LR or 22 Mag mini's.

NAA Ranger II - CV Grips (Medium).jpg

I haven't gotten my Ranger II with these new grips over to the range yet, but based on reports from the NAA Mini's Forum (yes, Virginia, there is one!) these grips are supposed to really help with control and shootability. I'll also try out the Hornady Critical Defense load that I picked up recently too, as that's supposed to be optimized for short barreled guns like this one. Some reports say it rivals the .380 for penetration and wound channel, but I hope I never have to put that to the test. I did have to use a sharp file to remove 1/32" of wood at the very front so the grips would not pinch the Schofield-type top-break latch, but that was easy enough to do.

And yes, I know there are much better choices for EDC, but when I'm not carrying my Kahr K9 or P380; or for when I really need to be discrete, this l'il NAA Mini is better than a sharp stick or nothing at all.

Tight groups!

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Old No7 on Tue May 08, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Better Grips for NAA Mini Revolvers

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW

Once upon a time, I came across a tutorial article published in an annual (Gun Digest, Shooter's Bible - I forget) on the most effective way to shoot a Mini, and after some practice have found the method to be very good.

The article stated that most folks that complain about the small size have issues because they attempt to shoot one like they shoot a larger SA revolver.

The method for a Mini involves holding the gripframe in the tightly-closed fist of the shooting hand, then wrapping the off hand around the front of the closed fist (ala: weaver stance)

The hammer/trigger is manipulated for firing by the off hand.

The mechanics of the grip method I described previously look like this:

Image Image

Image Image

Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old No7 wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:57 pm And yes, I know there are much better choices for EDC, but when I'm not carrying my Kahr K9 or P380; or for when I really need to be discrete, this l'il NAA Mini is better than a sharp stick or nothing at all.
... AND, being a top-break, you just couldn't help yourself!!! :D :D :D
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

My Mini, with the CV grips. This model is the "Wasp".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very nice Old No.7 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

* Range Report *

Well, the new grips DO help improve the groups and shootability/handling.

But the heavy trigger pull -- most likely a safety feature on a mini gun like this -- is still a challenge.

Here's the group from today, shot 2-hands (just like Pete suggested) from 7 yards...

NAA Ranger II 05 (Small).jpg

Not too bad, but some of the Hornady Critical Defense rounds seemed to have key-holed -- but then again, that ought to HURT and make a bigger wound channel.

Sure as h*ck, I wouldn't want to be hit with it...

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Better Grips for NAA Mini Revolvers (added new pix)

Post by Rusty »

I bought a NAA convertible for my son several years ago. The stock grips that came with it were almost useless. The optional factory stag grips were much better.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

7 what distance was that group shot at? Kinda looks like at least 3 bullets hit sideways!? Not that that's a bad thing when considering this could be a last resort gun- honestly I dont want to take a bullet of any size stabilized or not!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old No7 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:54 pm * Range Report *

Well, the new grips DO help improve the groups and shootability/handling.

But the heavy trigger pull -- most likely a safety feature on a mini gun like this -- is still a challenge.

Here's the group from today, shot 2-hands (just like Pete suggested) from 7 yards...

NAA Ranger II 05 (Small).jpg

Not too bad, but some of the Hornady Critical Defense rounds seemed to have key-holed -- but then again, that ought to HURT and make a bigger wound channel.

Sure as h*ck, I wouldn't want to be hit with it...

Old No7
Coming along! :D
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Still undecided on the grip. Looks interesting and likely would improve one's hold on the little gun. But, I wonder if it isn't adding sufficient bulk as to make it less of the last resort hide out I use it for. Any thoughts?

Oh, and I noticed they have speed loaders available. Kind of cute looking. Anyone tried them?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad