Spencer In Action!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Spencer In Action!

Post by Wayne Miller »

I was finally able to wrestle the video camera away from the teenage daughter and took some video of me shooting my Taylor 56-50 Spencer carbine. The load is a 355gr Rapine bullet over 38gr of fffg Goex fired off by a Winchester Large Rifle Magnum primer in Starline cases. Hopefully this will work....

Last edited by Wayne Miller on Fri May 23, 2008 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wayne Miller
(Known as "Mossyrock" elsewhere)

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ahhh!!! The smell of charcoal and sulfur in the air!!! :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I don't guess I've ever seen a black powder repeater in action before.

WOW!

(Cough)
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

Griff wrote:Ahhh!!! The smell of charcoal and sulfur in the air!!! :lol: :lol:
You know, it's funny...my Mom doesn't like that smell! When I went back in the house, she said, "You stink!" Some people have no appreciation of art... :cry:
Wayne Miller

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That is awfully cool Wayne! 8) Make a bit more noise and smoke than the one I have in .44 Russian - you're making me jealous! :wink:

Did the Blakslee box loading tubes work? I wasn't sure if they would - needed to find a tube that could accomodate the base of the .56-50 Spencer round.

Thanks for sharing this!!!
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

Hi Kid! I didn't try the Blakslee Box this trip out. This was more of a function check with a new load. I was hoping to do some serious accuracy testing, but I got rained out. Next time though...... :D
Wayne Miller

Lone Watie
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Wayne Miller wrote:Hi Kid! I didn't try the Blakslee Box this trip out. This was more of a function check with a new load. I was hoping to do some serious accuracy testing, but I got rained out. Next time though...... :D
"Rain"? What's that? Oh, you mean that water that some say falls from the sky occasionally. We haven't seen that here for a very, VERY long time! :(

Looks like it functioned just fine. I'll be interested to see the range results when you get it out and hit some paper! Good luck!!! :D
sureshot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by sureshot »

Hi Wayne,
What a coincidence! I just got my new Armi Sport 56-50 Spencer carbine and shot it for the first time today. I like it a lot.
I used Starline brass, Federal 210 primer, 34gr Swiss 3F, and a Lyman 350gr bullet. Shoots great and lots of fun!

Steve
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Steve -

Looking good! How far away was that target?
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

VERY NICE. TWO SOULS WITH A SINGLE THOUGHT. Those Spencers are NICE!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
sureshot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by sureshot »

Kid, The target was at 50 meters.
Steve
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Wow...that was supercool. Thank you for sharing that Wayne. Sounds like alot more than 38 grains! Wonder what a Regiment sounded like during the "Late Unpleasantness" when they let fly. Just once, I want to hear about 500 going off at once(not pointed at me of course!) to get the feel.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Now THATS what I call a levergun!
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

just way too kewl!!!! :D :D Glad you got the video camera back from your daughter. I have never seen a spencer shot before. Now I am in serious desire mode!!!! :wink:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Griff wrote:Ahhh!!! The smell of charcoal and sulfur in the air!!! :lol: :lol:
And a sprinkle of Ol'Saltn'peter :lol: !Great video Wayne Miller and thanks for share'n 8) !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

You have a nice rifle sureshot
and excellent shooting 8) !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

That was great, I thought you were going to disappear in the smoke.
Ricky

DWWC
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Thanks for sharing that Wayne. So now I know (after all these years) what a Wayne Miller looks and sounds like - at least when he's got a Spencer in his hands. :D

Seeing that video reminded me of how the Spencer got adopted as a weapon for the Union. That'd sure never happen in THIS day and age. Ol' Spencer walked up to the Whitehouse and got an audience with Lincoln who proceeded to give it a workout on the Whitehouse lawn. Just TRY walking up to the Whitehouse with a "new and improved" weapon today and see what it gets you. :shock:

It's amazing how far we've slid over the past 100 years. Even ol' Ruger got his start in firearms design by messing around with full auto stuff. Can you imagine what'd happen if the bat boys caught you working on something that'd be a great replacement for the current issue rifle? :shock: :roll:

But I digress. I've wanted a Spencer ever since I read "The First Fast Draw". Thanks for letting me "have one" vicariously. :D 8)
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Wonderful! :mrgreen:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

^ What Hobie said!

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
Wayne Miller wrote:Hi Kid! I didn't try the Blakslee Box this trip out. This was more of a function check with a new load. I was hoping to do some serious accuracy testing, but I got rained out. Next time though...... :D
"Rain"? What's that? Oh, you mean that water that some say falls from the sky occasionally. We haven't seen that here for a very, VERY long time! :(

Looks like it functioned just fine. I'll be interested to see the range results when you get it out and hit some paper! Good luck!!! :D
It doesn't rain in SC any more? When I was at Ft. Jackson in 06 we had a saying, if it ain't rainin, we ain't trainin. soaked with rain and covered with sand every morning after PT.

Wayne, thanks for the video. I have been fascinated with the spencer 56 ever since I read about it in a Louis La'Mour book as a kid. Seeing one in action is a treat and I thank you. A friend of mine in TX has found a number of large rimfire cases on his property and I've speculated they were the 56 cartridge.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

rjohns94 wrote:I have never seen a spencer shot before. Now I am in serious desire mode!!!! :wink:
Looks like you're not alone in this club since I want one now as well!:lol:

VERY cool! :D

Question, are you actuating the lever and hammer at the same time? I can't tell from the video if you are doing it simultaneously or what...
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at