With all the talk (and video) of Spencer carbines...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

With all the talk (and video) of Spencer carbines...

Post by awp101 »

I see they are offered by Taylors and Armi-Sport.

Is the Taylors just a better finished version of the AS?

Thanks!:D
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Re: With all the talk (and video) of Spencer carbines...

Post by Wayne Miller »

awp101 wrote:I see they are offered by Taylors and Armi-Sport.

Is the Taylors just a better finished version of the AS?

Nope. They are all from Armi Sport. For whatever it is worth, the last few I have seen for sale have had nicer case colors than mine. Regardless who sells it, you still have two issues that will need to be dealt with: sights and trigger. To put it bluntly, both suck. The sights used to be curable by replacing the rear with one from Smith Enterprises. They are currently concentrating on military contracts and have dropped the sight that worked with the Armi Spencer. Another option, and the one I took, is to replace the factory rear with a Shiloh Sharps rear sight. That gives a decent sight picture, but involves drilling and tapping a hole in a relatively thin-walled barrel. Caution is in order. As for the trigger, it can be dealt with with patience, a smidge of skill, and some luck. Take a look here: http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index. ... ,35.0.html

They are lots of fun, and MAY be the ultimate plinker for a rifle...it doesn't beat you up too bad, but it has enough horse power to let you know that you are pulling the trigger on something.
Wayne Miller
(Known as "Mossyrock" elsewhere)

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Now I have to decide on .56-50 since that was the issued caliber or .44-40 since I have a .44-40 revolver and need a rifle to match.

Hmmm... :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

I have examined a couple of really nice Chiappa Spencers at a local dealer, in .45 Colt, IIRC. I have not researched exactly who makes them, so I don't know if they are from the same source as the other repros. I am trying to really slow down my firearms acquisitions lately, as I am trying to concentrate on other priorities, and in any case, the safe really has no more room for long guns, but a Spencer is on my short list, once things stabilize.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
sureshot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by sureshot »

Armi Sport is a division of Armi Chiappa.

http://www.armisport.com/eng/azienda01.htm

Steve
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Can a Spencer be single loaded from the breech or must it be loaded via the loading tube?

I ask because some of the rifle stages at the local CAS meet are 9-10 rds... :?
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
sureshot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by sureshot »

The Spencer can be single loaded either with the magazine tube empty or loaded. If there are rounds in the magazine, however, you have to be careful to lower the lever just enough to put a round in the chamber and no further. If the lever is lowered too far the breachblock will pick up a cartridge from the magazine and the gun will jam.
Some of the original Spencers had a device called a Stabler Cutoff that could be engaged to stop the breachblock from going far enough to pick up a round from the magazine, or it could be disengaged so that the gun functioned as a repeater.
Steve
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Thanks!
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at