Barnes solid 30 cal 165 grain flat point

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Barnes solid 30 cal 165 grain flat point

Post by O.S.O.K. »

http://www.grafs.com/product/183039

Just thought I'd bring this up. I hadn't seen this as an option for non-lead 30 caliber lever action bullets. Obviously for the Kali guys.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Barnes solid 30 cal 165 grain flat point

Post by J Miller »

O.S.O.K.,

I couldn't afford to buy those if I wanted to, but I'd love to try them just because. As long as those bullets are, I'm wondering if they will be provide good accuracy from standard twist barrels as found on Winchester 94s? And considering how much more space they take up in the case, can you push them to normal velocities at a safe pressure?

Just curious about them.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I'd like to have some for dog walking in the fringe areas of grizzly country. I carry the 30-30 in the open areas down lower, usually the 45-70 or 348 up higher.

Looks like they'd work fine in 308 or 30-06 also. It's hard to find good solids.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, the nose length looks like it would work for a 30-30 and I know that the triple shocks with the same caneluer cuts in the bullet shaft handle pressure just like normal cup n core bullets, so the loads should be similar.

Personally, I don't see much advantage to this if you can use hard cast lead bullets. They're actually shorter for weight and you could go heavier with them.

These are just like the triple shocks/xbullets in their long length.

As far as the rifling stabalizing them - don't know for sure, but I suspect there'd be no problems, and the long bearing surface should give very good accuracy.

And the price is up there, but not too bad IMHO for something that you'll be hunting with - a 50 count box should allow for some load testing and still leave you with 30 rounds for hunting - which would last most several years...

Again, this is for the California crowd that needs a non-lead bullet. I think since they're Barnes copper alloy bullets that they'd be acceptable or approved?

Of course, there's also the 150 grain TSX bullet from Barnes for more money - but the 165 solid should give deeper penetration similar to heavier hard cast bullets.

http://www.grafs.com/product/183040
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Ranch Dog
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ranch Dog »

At one time, Barnes offered the XFN in a 165-grain bullet which was very appropriate for larger hoofed species taken with the 30-30 Win. Unfortunately, sales were weak and it is no longer offered. Barnes had quite a collection of pictures from elk, moose and other big critters taken with the 165-grain XFN and the 30-30 Win. The 150-grain XFN is still offered. They both cut a heck of a hole. 150 or 165-grains of copper takes a little more length than a lead core bullet and the Barnes data reflected the appropriate powders and charges for the 30-30 Win. At the turn of the century, I spent quite a bit of effort rounding up all the 165-grain XFNs I could find. When they were gone, I switched to cast.
BigBoreWhore
Levergunner

Post by BigBoreWhore »

Great pic but, The barnes 165gr 308 solids are pointed...
http://www.barnesbullets.com/sunshop/in ... revstart=0

I would love to have a 160/165 mono solid 30 cal...
Overkill, When is dead not DEAD enough!
AKA- Raffica=(Full Auto or Burst)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

What they have for the .30-30 is still the 150 grain solid copper, only in the MRXvariety.

It's still a flat point and length is appropriate for a bottlenecked case. Image But @ .......$38.51/50 it's even more on the pricey side. :shock: Probably reflects the volume of sales they get for this item.

All that's predicated on the fact that Barnes ain't making a bullet specifically for Graf's. But... I kinda doubt that. The standard picture they show for the "Banded Solid" is just like the one shown on Graf's site. Whereas, as Ranch Dog points out, the pic in their online catalog for the same description shows a spire point.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ranch Dog
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ranch Dog »

Here is the data from Barnes for their XFN. Like I said in my early post, that 165-grain XFN was an awesome 30-30 bullet...

95fan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 95fan »

I just ordered a bunch from graf, I will let you guys know how they work out. I have a hunt comming up in the next couple of weeks, and I should get a chance to try them out. I hope they are enough to bring down a lead eating condor. :twisted: :D :wink:
A perfect day can only be achieved while hunting