1948 Marlin 39A like new!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

1948 Marlin 39A like new!

Post by rangerider7 »

A local dealer has a like new 1948 39A Marlin. I have several 39A Marlins in my lifetime and traded or sold them all. There were always to heavy for a 22 rifle to me. The big forearm and 24 inch barrel made me think I was carry a 30-30. This one is in such great condition I'm thinking about buying another one. 599.00 is what he is asking. I'm sure I can get it for a little less but not much. It comes with a Lyman peep sight that the owner said was on it when it was new. How do you guys feel about the 39A Marlins of this period? Is this to good of a deal to pass up or not.
"That'll Be The Day"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1948 Marlin 39A like new!

Post by Pete44ru »

I know prices vary, area to area - but I paid $300 for my 1946 model two years ago, off a used gun rack, here in Southern New England.

JoeArizona
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JoeArizona »

Small world...I have a 1948 (I believe the serial number starts with an 'E' for that year) Model 39 also. I bought it several years ago from the original owner! Very nice old gentleman that told me every story associated with the gun...and it's still in excellent condition (and so was he).

It was a steal at $275...haven't seen one priced anywhere near that in the same condition.

I know what you mean about the weight...but I still love mine. It's sooooo accurate and it functions great. I wouldn't sell it at twice the price.

Good luck!
Joe

---

Peter's Laws - Rule #7, "If you can't beat them, join them, then beat them."
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Mine is a 1956 Mountie model, with the little smaller forearm. It shoots as good or better than my other 22 levers, but I love the old Marlins regardless of configuration.

The price is a little out of my range, and I would pass, but I like having a shooter grade in the older vintages. They shoot and are just as well built and accurate, and i don't worry too much about small boo-boos in the stock or metal.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Meanc pretty much nails my opinion as well. I have a 1956 Mountie I paid $250 for. I like and don't worry about shooting it.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

$600 is too high. If it's a vintage, all steel, Lyman 66MC receiver sight I still would find it hard to pay over $450. The pre-microgrooved 39A's do carry a premium.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

A little over a year ago I decided I needed a Marlin lever .22 for shooting silhouettes. A local shop had a brand new one for $499, and a very nice 1955 model for the same price.

The old 39A had an all-steel Redfield receiver sight, and of course no ridiculous safety button or "load" indicator holes drilled through the side of the receiver. The only real improvement in my opinion on the new rifle was the checkering on the stock, which I found attractive.

The dealer was not willing to budge much on price, but I wound up getting the 1955 rifle out-the-door for $500. I've not regretted the decision.

Of course a patient man could no doubt find an older rifle for $300-$400, but since a new one is $500+ I see no reason why a minty vintage rifle would not be worth that amount to someone who, like me, wanted one sooner than later.

Last edited by Shasta on Wed May 19, 2021 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

$599.00 is the price of a new one - I would say it is a deal.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...