OT - Vet Cuts Down Mexican Flag Flying above US Flag (Reno)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

OT - Vet Cuts Down Mexican Flag Flying above US Flag (Reno)

Post by don Tomás »

Video link. Vet using Ka-Bar cuts down Mexican flag flying illegally above US flag. This guy is great - gives him name and basically sez "come get me"...
Tom

===========================================

RENO
Flag of Mexico Flown Illegally Over Reno Business

Oct 2, 2007 12:02 PM
Mexican Flag Flown Illegally Over Local Business

Greg Knight, News 4

This afternoon we received a call from a viewer who said a business near downtown Reno was flying a Mexican flag above an American flag... which is in fact illegal.

This, after photos and comments about the flag were posted on Craigslist this morning. When we were able to have a photographer go and check everything out we found the story to be true.

It also didn t take long before the situation provoked a strong reaction. We are now going to show you , unedited, what happened. Click on the video to see what happened.

http://www.krnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7156726
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba »

Good on him........Those Mexican dudes were American citizens. What really upset me off was the Reno LEO statement that they could file charges against the fella that cut down the flag....
---------------------
www.levergunluvers.com

MOLAN LABE

DEMOCRATS: PORK OVER PATRIOTISM
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I'd sure like to see that but my browser does not support their video source. :(
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

BIG BRASS ONES. 8)
I wish there was more like him.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Mike it showed a guy with what looked like a commemorative K-BAR with engraving on the blade walk up and cut down the flags and walk off with the American flag.
I'd like to see a jury that would convict him.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
MikeNV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MikeNV »

He should have replaced the American Flag above the mexican flag and returned the flag up the pole and it would have been no harm no foul....

This business is not your typical business in the downtown area... it is a nightclub/bar that caters to the hispanics where problems arise all of the time...from shootings to stabbings.. in other words a s*#t hole.

I am more outraged at the hispanic community be up in arms over the feds arresting illegals........key word here is ILLEGALS. I'm not sure what part of ILLEGAL.. they don't understand.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba wrote:Good on him........Those Mexican dudes were American citizens. What really upset me off was the Reno LEO statement that they could file charges against the fella that cut down the flag....

They said they could charge him with stealing it. I'm all for what he did, dont get me wrong, but if the guy presses charges the law is the law.

What upsets me is there seems no desire to prosecute the flag flier. Its only a fine most places but should be enforced out of principal.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

The right thing to do would have been to tell the business owner the proper and legal way to fly the U.S. flag and give him an opportunity correct his mistake.

I'm curious as to whether or not this approach was attempted.

I sympathise with the man's indignation at the perceived insult, but damaging and stealing the other man's property was the wrong thing to do.

He'll be a hero to rednecks everywhere, but he'll also be charged with vandalism, malicious mischief, petty theft, assault with or brandishing a deadly weapon or some such and end up in jail. This man's attempt at patriotism will be twisted into a hate crime or some sort of civil rights violation.

Having the State Police drag the business owner away in handcuffs for violating a display-of-the-flag law if he had refused to correct the display would have made a better statement than the ill-considered actions of one upset-off veteran.

:?
Last edited by FWiedner on Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I doubt either party will be charged with anything. May not have been the right thing to do in that instance, but I do admire the Vet for his actions and beliefs.
Levergunner 2.0

He'll be a hero to rednecks everywhere
Proudly guilty as charged, Sir :lol: :lol:

I worked for Panasonic for a couple years and they flew the company logo above the American Flag. There was no one, Federal, State or Local interested in enforcing that. I liked my job, so I did little more than complain to management.
---------------------
www.levergunluvers.com

MOLAN LABE

Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Sometimes confrontation is the best way to make your point. Too many folks just sit on their hands. Good to know there are a few willing to take a risk and put an end to some of the BS! :)

You can bet there is not much enthusiasm down at the cop shop to go arrest the guy! :lol:
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Two thumbs up from me.

Sometimes you just gotta take a stand. Even when you might end up getting smacked down for it.

Joe
canonsix
Levergunner 2.0

Post by canonsix »

My only repsonse is "WELL DONE SIR" where do we send the monies for the defense fund ?? Doug
a armed man is his own master
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

What a surprise: Hispanics people spitting in the face of the U.S..

Interestingly enough, the very same people that are so proud of their home country, (Mexico,) aren't living in that pisspot.

GO HOME!

The adult in me wants to see them put on buses, planes, taxicabs, horseback or skateboards and brought back to Skanksico.

The kid in me wants to see some bloodshed and all of them CHASED back.
Junior
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Junior »

The vet should have just filed a complaint down at the local police station. But he probably wanted to show off his knife on TV. It pi--e- me off, too, but there was a better, more effective way to handle it.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

We watched the video clip and thought he did all right. He did not get any argument from the bar owner. How could the mexican fly it like that and not know it was wrong if he is an American citizen?

Jerry
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Some folks will stand up.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

canonsix wrote:My only repsonse is "WELL DONE SIR" where do we send the monies for the defense fund ?? Doug
Exactly Doug. They charge him, and I whip out the ol' checkbook to write one for his defense.

This man is a TRUE AMERICAN. Sometime you need to be willing to take the consequences for your actions, regardless. Notice he proudly said his name - didn't try to hide his face or run. He did what was RIGHT - maybe not what was legal, but the two are not always the same!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I support this vet, because he had the guts to act instead of just complaining to someone about it. Sometimes you have to stand up for what you believe.

However, I would have rather seen him put the American flag back up, and throw the Mexican flag on the ground.
cjm135
Levergunner 1.0

Post by cjm135 »

How could the mexican fly it like that and not know it was wrong if he is an American citizen?
That is your answer. A mexican flew the flag. The report said he flew the flag to support the hispanic community. I ask, why wouldn't he fly the US flag above the mexican flag in support of the country were he makes his living which supports his family. If he wanted to support mexico then he should move there and start up another bar. Then he can support the hispanic community by flying the mexican flag under the US Flag. See how far he gets with that move.

We should not get our underware in a bunch because after all he didn't know flying a flag above the US Flag was breaking the law.

What ever happen to the concept that ingnorance of the law is no excuse.

I'm glad I own a KBar

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba wrote:

I worked for Panasonic for a couple years and they flew the company logo above the American Flag. There was no one, Federal, State or Local interested in enforcing that. I liked my job, so I did little more than complain to management.
Oddly enough, that isn't Illegal. (just wrong)

It is illegal to fly another NATION's flag or STATE's flag above the US flag. The LAW says nothing about flying Logos (not my copy anyway...)

It's a petty distinction, but there it is. Doesn't make it right, it just doesn't make it illegal either.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

You know I read so many posts talking about the "right" thing to do. BS!!!! The politically correct thing you mean!

The "right" thing to do was exactly what he did. The right thing to do was complain to England that we did not like being taxed for produce sold here and not getting anything in return, but what we did was through tons of tea overboard.

This man threw his own tea party and I am proud of him.

Just today, in our local newspaper, the "hispanics" read Mexicans, want to conglomerate all their groups into one for a "more powerful voice", mainly cause about half of them here are illegal. They also want most Mexican heritage taught in the public schools, because they want the kids to have their heritage to cling to instead of forming gangs, whatever, teach it at home and keep dad out of gangs and at home at night and guess what the kids will learn??

This is NOT Mexico. We should be teaching MORE AMERICAN history, and add footnotes, for history of Mexico AND Canada, as bordering nations, but this is still America first.

He did the "RIGHT" thing. He just has the balls to do it.
Levergunner 2.0

Old Ironsights wrote:
BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba wrote:

Oddly enough, that isn't Illegal. (just wrong)

It is illegal to fly another NATION's flag or STATE's flag above the US flag. The LAW says nothing about flying Logos (not my copy anyway...)

It's a petty distinction, but there it is. Doesn't make it right, it just doesn't make it illegal either.
Sheesh.....There goes a perfectly good story ruined by the facts.... :lol:
---------------------
www.levergunluvers.com

MOLAN LABE

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

The man who took down the flag broke the law, just like the man flying the flag broke the law.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

There's nothing to do with political correctness in this issue, it's just the simple difference between right and wrong.

:o
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

...this shortened link may work better for some of us:

http://www.krnv.com/global/video/popup/ ... D1=1800823

It is a video, though, and will still take a little time to load up.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Bob
Levergunner

Post by Bob »

Some may prefer the gentle approach, but if more of us started acting as if things were as important to us as we say they are there would be a hell of alot less of this stuff. I whole heartedly support the action taken. Legal system better carefully consider it's response here.
Bob
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I believe the vet should not have tampered with someone else's flag. He has the right to fly his own flag at his house or from his car.

I don't like seeing people around here (LA) fly Mexican flags but I wouldn't tear them down.

On the other hand, if you want cooperation from Latinos, asking nicely won't get you very far. So if you're very angry and accept the consequences...
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[key word here is ILLEGALS. I'm not sure what part of ILLEGAL.. they don't understand.]

English isn't a requirement for wetbacks.
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

Bob wrote:Some may prefer the gentle approach, but if more of us started acting as if things were as important to us as we say they are there would be a hell of alot less of this stuff. I whole heartedly support the action taken. Legal system better carefully consider it's response here.
Bob
I agree. The "gentle approach" is what landed us in this mess. As Americans, we have coddled these people for far too long.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

fwiw

the texas flag is the only one that can be flown at the same height as the american flag :wink:

pete
DAV life member.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I'll have to watch the vid when I get home but good for him.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Personally, In front of the camera, I would have whipped out my unit and upset on the mexican flag. Then I would have asked for a jury of my peers.------------Sixgun

No steady course.....whatever mindless entertainment that comes up......

Think of an intruder (non regular) as the same as a wounded elk in Yellowstone.......you have the pack and you have the lone wolf. The pack members need each other while the loner works his own magic......a good analogy would be a room full of Rossi's with one Winchester hiding in the middle. These Rossi's will do anything to be a Winchester and some will have Winchester rollmarks and refinished Brazilian hardwood to look like walnut but the expert always knows the difference. With a good eye the fake rollmark will easily peel off exposing the truth.

The Rossi's will use their combined knowledge along with pack mentality to knock the Winchester off the rack, much like Hitler's U boats and in time the u boats all sank because their power was over rated which exposed their many design flaws.

How's that for mindless entertainment?
Last edited by Sixgun on Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

The Vet righted a wrong, end of story! :?
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Just saw the vid. That man deservs a stand ovation every where he goes.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Fox ran an interview with the dude this evening. He does have big brass ones. He will probably be sued. Time to start the legal defence fund I suppose. If anyone hears of it, please share the info. I will contribute. Maybe he went too far cutting down the flag, and thats a huge maybe but I share his sentiment. Time to stand up. 1886.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

sobenk wrote:I believe the vet should not have tampered with someone else's flag. He has the right to fly his own flag at his house or from his car.
Well, the way they had it rigged, he HAD to mess with their flag to get his flag out of a bad situation. If they didn't want their flag messed with they shouldn't have flown it on the same halyard over Old Glory. Perhaps he should have handed them their flag instead of letting it hit the ground when he cut his flag off their line, but on the other hand they didn't show much respect towards his flag so I suspect he didn't feel like showing much respect towards theirs.
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

Actually, both flags belonged to the bar owner.

Regardless, the only thing different he should have done is sharpen up that K-bar. It took him too long to cut threw that flagpole rope.

Good on the vet! :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

MSM dweebs have yanked the video now... :evil:
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

El Mac wrote:Actually, both flags belonged to the bar owner.

Regardless, the only thing different he should have done is sharpen up that K-bar. It took him too long to cut threw that flagpole rope.

Good on the vet! :D
Yes, I also noticed that he was having a little trouble getting through the rope. Being a commerative, I doubt he had ever sharpened it.
Levergunner 2.0

If you buy a mail box at the hardware store and afix it properly, it becomes the property of the USPS........One might argue that buying an American Flag does not constitute being able to do with it what you want.....
---------------------
www.levergunluvers.com

MOLAN LABE