Range Report: Preparing "Old 3120" for Billy Dixon Range

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Range Report: Preparing "Old 3120" for Billy Dixon Range

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hello fellas. I thought I would update you on the further results of my experimental loads in “Old Thirty One Twenty”; my 120 year old 71/84 Mauser. I have been working with Mic McPherson and “Professor Loudenboomer”, also known as the Varminator, to develop a heavy bullet load for extreme range shooting in preparation for my next trip to the Billy Dixon Ultra Long Range Facility in Hotchkiss, CO. For the background of the facility, see the post under announcements. By the way, I’m working on an old computer in SoCal with a modem-connection to the internet, so it’s much harder to write and post stuff here.

Last I wrote we had tried out Mic’s proposed loads using Blue Dot, and bullets in 485 grain and 540 grain weights. At that time, 5 shot strings with each load through a chronograph looked very promising and velocities were where Mic predicted they would be at 1150 fps for the 485 grain bullet and 1050 fps for the 540 grain bullets.

Thus, I went home and loaded up more of them myself (the initial loads were made by the Professor). I was using Lee dies in 43 Mauser that were on loan to me, but I decided to slightly shorten the COL as the original loads were difficult to chamber and close the bolt on my rifle. I used a CCI BR-2 primer with the 485 grain bullet loads, and a CCI LP primer, as per Mic’s recommendation, with the 540 grain bullet loads.

The set-up was two paper targets, one on top of the other, at 100 yards while running the bullets through my chronograph. I set it up this way as I had really no idea where impact would be for point of aim. The standard load of a 385 grain bullet at 1400 fps tends to hit about 10 inches high using the shortest 200 meter battle sight. I figured it would hit lower than that, but really couldn’t know.

As it turned out, the 485 grain bullets are very well regulated to 100 yards and shot about 3 inches high. Much better for short range work than the 385 grain bullets. At two hundred yards, I could hit the pig from a sitting position at will, but required the 300 meter battle sight. Here is the initial top target as I tried to find a reference point for point of aim.

You can see it took a few shots. After I saw where they were hitting, and found my reference point which turned out to be a perfect 6 o’clock hold on the bottom of the black part of the target, I was able to achieve the following with a front bag rest only. In retrospect, I would have done better if I had decided to use a rear bag as well.

Here’s me at the bench:

The 540 grain bullets also shot well but shot higher than the 485 grain bullets. They also had a similar horizontal stringing but consistent vertical height once I had my reference point. I did not take a picture of that target at the time, but will do so and post it later.

OK, the next part you are not going to believe, and I don’t blame you guys. Heck, I don’t believe it myself. To make a long story short, an 11 shot string with the 485 grain loads as measured by my chronograph had an extreme spread of 17 fps and a SD of 5. That isn’t a misprint. Five! The only caveat is that I was tipping the barrel almost vertical as I loaded each cartridge and would gently settle the barrel into the rest. This makes for more consistent powder positioning in the case. I was also firing it in single-shot mode, and did not use the tubular magazine.

Using the same procedure with an 11 shot string and the 540 grain loads and CCI pistol primer instead of the CCI BR-2 yielded an extreme spread of 12 fps and a SD of 3. That’s THREE! I will come back later with the exact string data if someone wants, but that won’t prove anything. Suffice to say it happened in front of witnesses and the data is still in my chrono.

To say that Mic is a genius is an understatement!

I have to think that a load based on Blue Dot and a CCI pistol primer in a 45-70 might be a very good load. It has a burn rate a little faster than 2400.

On the down-side, some of my loads would not chamber and it seemed to be that the case was too wide just above the head. After we returned to Jim’s home, we measured the case heads of what I had loaded with the Lee dies, and what they are using his RCBS dies. It turned out that the Lee dies were not forming the base of the case at all, and leaving the virgin brass oversized at times. I have some new RCBS dies that were awaiting me here in SoCal, and will be using them next time. I don’t think we will be using the Lee Full Length sizing die again, or recommending them in the future. However, their bullet seating die uses a taper-crimp which is much preferable for accuracy to the standard roll-crimp that other dies use, so I will be using the Lee die for bullet crimping in a separate function.

Mic has asked me to make more cartridges using both bullets so he can shoot them himself at the Billy Dixon range where he will be joining us. We are hoping that one of them will be a very good ultra long range bullet.

Finally, I have to say that Professor Loudenboomer is a crack shot shooting a 38 Special snubby revolver off-hand at an approximately 12” x 8” sized rock at 200 yards. He could pretty much hit that rock 2 out of 5 times (it’s a 5 shot revolver) every time! He was teaching a few of the range employees to do the same as well as some other range customers. It was neat to see him handle the crowd as always. The man’s good will and generosity towards others is always something to see.

So, that’s the latest for right now. The Billy Dixon Shoot is on schedule for July 26-27th in Hotchkiss, CO and I hope to see Griff and maybe El Mac there.

As always, thanks for listening.

-Tutt
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Range Report: Preparing "Old 3120" for Billy Dixon Range

Post by rjohns94 »

most excellent report. very imformative. Thanks for the post.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Great to hear what you are doing with that vintage rifle.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Cowboy drove the 35 miles up to Palmdale last night to have pizza and a pitcher of Amber Bock. Good to see him again. He had the targets and the data. Looks to me like he is there on these loads particularly the lighter bullet. From his description of his shooting together with the targets convinced me that he is capable of much smaller groups with this rifle and load with a better shooting position. The targets show a sideways stringing that I think is a function of the uncomfortable looking position.

Good job Tutt. Close down the lateral deviation and they are all pretty close to the X ring. How about that for this grand old rifle.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Thanks O.S. ,it was good to see you again too. I'm sorry I couldn't stay longer. We shall see how the rest of my trip down here goes.

Here is a pic of the other target with the 540 grain bullets. It was a little harder to see the orange/black border than I would have thought, but it did help with finding a better point of reference as the 540's seemed to shoot higher at 100 yards.

"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Cowboy, that's fantastic shooting. Beautiful spot to be shooting too.

That horizontal stringing may be the gun moving with the flow of blood in your arms. Reason I say this is that when I was a kid my Dad and I did some long range prone shooting and I found I had to wait a while for the blood flow rate to slow down, and even then the scope was swinging back and forth and I had to lead the shot. My guess is you aren't seeing this with the open sights. It really shows up with a scope.

Grizz
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Thanks Grizz. I was somewhat aware of it. I could see the barrel swinging side to side sometimes. It was hard to steady it. I should have used a rear bag, but my practical definition of "accuracy" is what I can do from a field rest.

However, it would have been acceptable and better if I had used one this time.

-Tutt

Camp Cook
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Camp Cook »

Another great report...

"WOW" Mr CT you have come a long way since I first met you to say I am impressed is an understatement...

That is an awesome looking old rifle...

CC