George C. Nonte, Jr. 2/9/1926 - 6/30/1978

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

George C. Nonte, Jr. 2/9/1926 - 6/30/1978

Post by Hobie »

MAJ (USA, Ret.) George C. Nonte, Jr. died 30 years ago today. One of the greatest generation, born the same year as my dad and a very interesting writer.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
ACK450
Levergunner

Re: George C. Nonte, Jr. 2/9/1926 - 6/30/1978

Post by ACK450 »

Mr. Nonte was also a very knowlegable pistol smith, and his book PISTOLSMITHING, Stackpole Books - Arms & Armour Press 1974 is still an excellent refference for those who like to keep their revolvers and semi-autos working slick. He also had a monthly column in the SHOOTING TIMES magazine in it's early years. We shooters lost him way to soon! I miss his easily understood writing and pistol savy.

ACK
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

ACK,

That's just one of several books of his I've accumulated. I buy good books that give me good usable info and it just so happens that TODAY I reached for Pistol Guide. I'm sitting here wondering why I did and glad I wrote the little piece in my blog.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

His article entitled something like "Shoot those old timers" in an early Speer Manual (the spiral bound one) got me started shooting old guns..case forming..bullet casting..Read anything I saw he wrote.. Miss Dean Grennell too..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

Thin handlebar moustache right? Excellent writer,I'm going to go find a book of his in the basement to read again in the morning,it's Canada day, so no work in morning.
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Have a copy of his "Home Guide to Cartridge Conversions" which i bought when it came out in 1967. Still contains a wealth of knowledge for anyone who handloads. I no longer have any use for it. If anyone wants it, make me an offer.
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

airedaleman wrote:Have a copy of his "Home Guide to Cartridge Conversions" which i bought when it came out in 1967. Still contains a wealth of knowledge for anyone who handloads. I no longer have any use for it. If anyone wants it, make me an offer.
I'm so sorry to hear of your passing. I know that I'll be long dead before I have no use for my copy. :wink: :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Reports of my death are highly exaggerated... (with apologies to Mark Twain)
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

You notice that there are very few reprints of his work. Most of what he wrote wouldn't get published today because it doesn't fit our current ideas of the RIGHT, (politicaly correct) way of doing things.
He had articles on How to Pin a Grip Safety, Cartridge and brass conversion, ect.
I remember one piece of advise about how the finger should find the trigger of the gun as it came on target.
Most of all I remember him calling a spade a spade he was pretty honest in his reviews, too bad a fellow like that can't get publiished today.
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

Thanks for the reminder Hobie. Maj. Nonte has been sorely missed. He, Kent Bellah, Ken Waters (with us, but retired), Francis Sell and a handful of others were of a mind and experience that cannot be replaced.
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

He died pretty young ! I didn't know that.

I don't own any of his books (yet)

I have saved a few of his article's over the years, the latest being from Handloader #47 1974 "Those unloved 32's"

----- J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

52 years old is WAY TOO YOUNG!
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

THE MAJOR WAS A VERY INTERESTING MAN. HE WAS ALSO A BIG MYSTERY TO MANY FOLKS, LIKE THE PROBATE PEOPLE WHEN THEY LOOKED AND...WHERE DID ALL THE GUNS GO ??
HE WAS VERY INTERESTING TO TALK WITH AND NEVER MINCED WORDS. BUT HE WAS ALSO VERY CLEVER IN HIS CHOISE OF WORDS. WHEN I TOLD HIM I HAD AN EARLY M39 S&W THAT HAD A TRASHED FRAME FROM SHOOTING 5000 ROUNDS OF 'CANADIEN' DI42,43,44,45 HARDBALL I THOUGHT HE WAS GONNA KISS ME IN MY EAR RIGHT OVER THE PHONE. THIS WAS A BIG DEAL IN THE EARLY DAYS OF ALUMINUM ALLOY FRAMES. THERE WAS A LOT OF TALK BADMOUTHING THOSE FRAMES BUT I SENT HIM THE REAL/McCOY/TRASHED/YOU/BET !!! IT WAS THE ONLY ONE HE EVER SAW, AND IT WAS TRASHED FOR DAMSHURR. S&W FINALLY FIGURED IT HAD MISSED SOMETHING IN THE PRODUCTION STAGE, SOME SORT OF HARDENING PROCESS OR SOME SUCH BALOGNA AS THAT. IT IS A LONG STORY WHEN THEY'LL LIE TO THE FREAKIN' GUY WHO DID IT: ME !! AND THE MAJOR WAS ABSOLUTELY QUEER FOR S&W M39 PISTOLS. I STILL HAVE MY 1971 VERSION, A1427XX, STILL LOADED LIKE IT WAS THE DAY I BOUGHT IT, AND WITH THE MMC CUSTOM SIGHTS JUST LIKE SKEETER'S. LOOKS IDENTICAL TO SKEETER'S.
HE WAS ALSO INVOLVED IN THE KENNEDY ASSASSINATION INVESTIGATION, NOT LOOKIN', BEING INVESTIGATED. LIKE I SAID HE WAS A MYSTERY, A RIDDLE INSIDE OF AN ENIGMA, SURROUNDED WITH QUESTION MARKS.
SO, WHATIN'ELL DID HAPPEN TO ALL HIS GUNS ???
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Terry Murbach wrote:THE MAJOR WAS A VERY INTERESTING MAN. HE WAS ALSO A BIG MYSTERY TO MANY FOLKS, LIKE THE PROBATE PEOPLE WHEN THEY LOOKED AND...WHERE DID ALL THE GUNS GO ??
HE WAS VERY INTERESTING TO TALK WITH AND NEVER MINCED WORDS. BUT HE WAS ALSO VERY CLEVER IN HIS CHOISE OF WORDS. WHEN I TOLD HIM I HAD AN EARLY M39 S&W THAT HAD A TRASHED FRAME FROM SHOOTING 5000 ROUNDS OF 'CANADIEN' DI42,43,44,45 HARDBALL I THOUGHT HE WAS GONNA KISS ME IN MY EAR RIGHT OVER THE PHONE. THIS WAS A BIG DEAL IN THE EARLY DAYS OF ALUMINUM ALLOY FRAMES. THERE WAS A LOT OF TALK BADMOUTHING THOSE FRAMES BUT I SENT HIM THE REAL/McCOY/TRASHED/YOU/BET !!! IT WAS THE ONLY ONE HE EVER SAW, AND IT WAS TRASHED FOR DAMSHURR. S&W FINALLY FIGURED IT HAD MISSED SOMETHING IN THE PRODUCTION STAGE, SOME SORT OF HARDENING PROCESS OR SOME SUCH BALOGNA AS THAT. IT IS A LONG STORY WHEN THEY'LL LIE TO THE FREAKIN' GUY WHO DID IT: ME !! AND THE MAJOR WAS ABSOLUTELY QUEER FOR S&W M39 PISTOLS. I STILL HAVE MY 1971 VERSION, A1427XX, STILL LOADED LIKE IT WAS THE DAY I BOUGHT IT, AND WITH THE MMC CUSTOM SIGHTS JUST LIKE SKEETER'S. LOOKS IDENTICAL TO SKEETER'S.
HE WAS ALSO INVOLVED IN THE KENNEDY ASSASSINATION INVESTIGATION, NOT LOOKIN', BEING INVESTIGATED. LIKE I SAID HE WAS A MYSTERY, A RIDDLE INSIDE OF AN ENIGMA, SURROUNDED WITH QUESTION MARKS.
SO, WHATIN'ELL DID HAPPEN TO ALL HIS GUNS ???
Interesting post and question Terry.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Ysabel Kid wrote:52 years old is WAY TOO YOUNG!
Especially when I happen to be that age at the moment !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

Hobie wrote:
airedaleman wrote:Have a copy of his "Home Guide to Cartridge Conversions" which i bought when it came out in 1967. Still contains a wealth of knowledge for anyone who handloads. I no longer have any use for it. If anyone wants it, make me an offer.
I'm so sorry to hear of your passing. I know that I'll be long dead before I have no use for my copy. :wink: :lol:
ADMAN,
I have no idea what to offer or what a book like this might be worth. I am interested in the book as an addition to my old loading book library. What do you have in mind?
Regards,Boreman
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

6pt-sika wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:52 years old is WAY TOO YOUNG!
Especially when I happen to be that age at the moment !
Enjoy every day.... :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Boreman wrote:
Hobie wrote:
ADMAN,
I have no idea what to offer or what a book like this might be worth. I am interested in the book as an addition to my old loading book library. What do you have in mind?
Regards,Boreman
Sorry, but that was way back in 2008; the book's been long gone...
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

He wrote a great book titled "Handgun Hunting", which included stories of AutoMags, Cap and Ball boar hunts, and a black bear hunt in Tellico with a pair of then new series 70's with Lee Jurras. Great book.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

oscart wrote:As our CO a Company C 123rd Maint. Bn 1st AD the Captian used to research arms out of his van at the range and edit Shooting Times. There were times when he made service memorable.
Thanks for resurrecting this post on Major Nonte, one of my favorites. And WELCOME TO THE FORUM, oscart. You must have an interesting background: I'll bet we don't have another member on here who served with Major Nonte. And I wouldn't mind reading some of your stories of "when he made service memorable".

He didn't write anything that wasn't interesting and potentially useful. I miss his writing and still use the "Nonte shuffle" to speed up the loading process when running rounds through a single-stage loading press (in fact I am doing the "shuffle" in my Avatar picture).
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Glenn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Glenn »

Two books on reloading taught me 'bout everything I needed to know - Nonte's "Modern Handloading" and John Wooter's "The Complete Book of Practical Handloading." Earlmck, I use the "Nonte shuffle" all the time too!
Glenn
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Nonte shuffle???
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Borregos wrote:Nonte shuffle???
+1
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Griff wrote:
Borregos wrote:Nonte shuffle???
+1
Please help us, what is it :?: :?: :?:
Pete
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

earlmck wrote:
oscart wrote:As our CO a Company C 123rd Maint. Bn 1st AD the Captian used to research arms out of his van at the range and edit Shooting Times. There were times when he made service memorable.
Thanks for resurrecting this post on Major Nonte, one of my favorites. And WELCOME TO THE FORUM, oscart. You must have an interesting background: I'll bet we don't have another member on here who served with Major Nonte. And I wouldn't mind reading some of your stories of "when he made service memorable".

He didn't write anything that wasn't interesting and potentially useful. I miss his writing and still use the "Nonte shuffle" to speed up the loading process when running rounds through a single-stage loading press (in fact I am doing the "shuffle" in my Avatar picture).
DON'T TELL 'EM ABOUT THE NONTE SHUFFLE, EARL, MAKE 'EM READ THE BOOK. DO NOT TELL 'EM WHICH BOOK EITHER SO THEY'LL HAVE TO BUY 'EM ALL.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, GUYS....!!

WE AIM TO PLEASE.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Gee thanks Terry, your aim is TRUE :D :D :D
Pete
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Terry Murbach wrote:DON'T TELL 'EM ABOUT THE NONTE SHUFFLE, EARL, MAKE 'EM READ THE BOOK. DO NOT TELL 'EM WHICH BOOK EITHER SO THEY'LL HAVE TO BUY 'EM ALL.
Ha! Good Idea, Terry. But I'm guessing I got clued in to the "shuffle" via a "Handloader" article, 'cause the only Nonte book I have is his "Cartridge Conversion" book.

And I just came home from cutting junipers, followed by "Staff Meeting" (beer and peanuts under the shade tree before pardner Butch and I head back for town). So my IQ is down around 75 or so and I don't think I could explain the "shuffle" in my weakened condition :lol:

If somebody better qualified doesn't step up to the plate here, I'll give it a try tomorrow, because it is a neat little time-saver for several reloading operations.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I'll be waiting Earl :D :D :D
Pete
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

OK, not working today, two cups of coffee on board, pictures taken for illustration purposes of this "Nonte Shuffle".

I use the "shuffle" when I am doing a simple reloading process on the single-stage press where I am working the handle with the right hand while the left hand just puts cases in the shell holder for processing, without also doing something additional such as putting a primer in the punch or placing a bullet on the case mouth. Typical operation would be sizing/depriming a bunch of case that I am going to wash, or seating cast bullets in charged cases when I have belled the cases and then also started the bullets into the case so I have a bunch of cases sitting in the loading block with the bullet atop the case ready for seating/crimping.

Typically you would pick up a case, place it into the shell holder, work the handle, remove the processed case and place it in a box, pick up another case, etc. etc.

With the "shuffle" you already have the second case held between thumb and first finger, you remove the first case from the shell holder with the second finger, then "shuffle" the second case into the shell holder. The right hand operates the handle to process the case while the left hand is placing the processed case into the box and picking up another case. So you end up moving the left hand to the shell holder only half as many times to process a batch of cases. Here we go:
First case is sitting in the shell holder
NonteShuffle1.jpg
second case held between thumb and first finger of left hand
NonteShuffle2.jpg
first case pulled from shell holder with second finger
NonteShuffle3.jpg
second case placed into shell holder and you will then put first case in appropriate box and pick up another case to repeat the process.
NonteShuffle4.jpg
Got that? It's one of those things that is much easier to do than to describe, I have found out!

Somehow it hadn't occurred to me that George Nonte's books would still be available. I went onto Amazon and bought 3 more of his from 3 different used-book dealers for a total of $35 including the shipping. I already had his "Home Guide to Cartridge Conversions". And if you were going to only have one book, that would the one to have: seems to be going for over $200 from the used book folks!

I also made a bit of a search for his original "Nonte Shuffle" article in my "Handloader" stash. I gave up after a while but not before I read some very interesting articles about other things that I have long forgotten. I can see I will enjoy spending some time going through some more of these.

So thanks again for bringing George Nonte back to our attention, oscart. I hope we haven't lost you already: somebody who knew Major Nonte back when he was just a Captain is somebody I would like to hear from some more!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ah, again, knowing something but not knowing the source, or that it even had a name! I saw a friend that hhad been trloading longer than I have using that technique. I only use it when sizing/decapping or belling case mouths. I've tried it with charged cases, but I tend to knock the bullets off the case! :oops:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Thanks for the demo, Earl. Is the 218 Bee the featured cartridge?
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

airedaleman wrote:Thanks for the demo, Earl. Is the 218 Bee the featured cartridge?
Good eye, airedaleman. Yes, just happened to have those cases and that shell holder in place when I went to take pictures. Rifle from mod71alaska, cases from BlaineG. One of these fine months I'm expecting to produce a range report but my favorite shooting range is a place we don't shoot when the weather is hot/dry because of worries about fire.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Thanks Earl :D :D
Pete