45-70 lever gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 45-70 lever gun

Post by Grizz »

pricedo wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:31 am
Grizz wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:56 am
Blaine wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:25 pm I would not hesitate to get an older 1895GS.....I had one and traded it off when my shoulder turned to glass.... :idea:
a reminder about the button loads with minimal powder. i think there is a zero recoil load that lets us plink, make a little noise, but i haven't tried it. did you ever experiment with it?
The first JM Marlin Guide Guns produced I believe had ported barrels which would reduce the felt recoil but they're as scarce as chickens teeth.
I don't think it would be that expensive to get a contemporary Guide Gun ported.
The light loads designed for legacy 45-70 rifles shouldn't kick that much and are plenty for deer.
i prefer zero porting on a woods rifle. i lived in the Tongass where we had over a hundred FEET of rainfall per year. we taped the muzzle of our barrels with electrical tape to keep water from filling the barrel while hiking the game trails. we re-taped after the shot, before cleaning. we were in an environment where steel could rust before you got back to the wood stove...

besides, taping the holes would have increased the cost of our venison. i even taped the barrel of the 10" SBH, for a different reason.

regards,
Last edited by Grizz on Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

Gevin a choice a Marlin 1895 Cowboy would be my first pick.
2nd would be a Japchester.
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

Grizz wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:07 am
pricedo wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:31 am
Grizz wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:56 am
Blaine wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:25 pm I would not hesitate to get an older 1895GS.....I had one and traded it off when my shoulder turned to glass.... :idea:
a reminder about the button loads with minimal powder. i think there is a zero recoil load that lets us plink, make a little noise, but i haven't tried it. did you ever experiment with it?
The first JM Marlin Guide Guns produced I believe had ported barrels which would reduce the felt recoil but they're as scarce as chickens teeth.
I don't think it would be that expensive to get a contemporary Guide Gun ported.
The light loads designed for legacy 45-70 rifles shouldn't kick that much and are plenty for deer.
i prefer zero porting on a woods rifle. i lived in the Tongass where we had over a hundred FEET of rainfall per year. we taped the muzzle of our barrels with electrical tape to keep water from filling the barrel while hiking the game trails. we re-taped after the shot, before cleaning. we were in an environment where steel could rust before you got back to the wood stove...

besides, taping the holes would have increased the cost of our venison. i even taped the barrel of the 10" SBH, for a different reason.

regards,
Rainfall isn't my problem but boughs bent over with snow waiting to fall from a single cough or sneeze is.
I pull a party balloon over the muzzle of the gun to keep the snow out.
The balloon has enough elasticity to grip the barrel and not fall off yet will not cause enough back pressure to damage the gun if I have to shoot really fast without removing it.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

For me the choice was my Browning 1886 rifle mainly because I like the traditional/old time style of the gun versus more modern styling with the ability to scope and other features more hunter user friendly.One can t deny they give you an advantage over lugging a big 86 sporter around but for me the charm of the 86 is it’s style as it takes you back into history.