Trimmed cases for shorter COL

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Twodogs10mm
Levergunner

Trimmed cases for shorter COL

Post by Twodogs10mm »

Does anyone here have experience trimming cases to shorten COL with 45-270 SAA to improve feeding in leverguns?

I have a JM stamped Marlin 1894 cowboy 20" and a Rossi 1892 16" they both feed factory RFN and JSP's without problems. I would like to try loading some 45-270 SAA with IMR 4227 to mid level pressures.

I have read that some people will deep seat the 45-270 SAA and crimp on or over the driving band. Hornady says you should trim cases shorter for their 225gr FTX.

It seems it would be better to trim the case to shorten COL vs deep seating that way you can crimp on the cannelure. I realize whether you deep seat the bullet or trim the case you are decreasing case volume and increasing pressure.

Would the shorter case and generous chambers in 45 colt keep the driving band from reaching the throat and centering the round thus decreasing accuracy?

I am new here and would appreciate any advise or load data. Thank you.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Trimmed cases for shorter COL

Post by Tycer »

I’m not a big fan of having to keep up with oddball cases. Crimping with a Lee FCD lets me crimp wherever I want. I have a bullet that shoots great in my old 32-20 1892 that I have to crimp right at the front of the driving band. The Lee FCD is the only way I can be sure the bullet stays put.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Twodogs10mm
Levergunner

Post by Twodogs10mm »

Tycer, I agree different length cases would be hard to keep up with I would have to find some way to identify them. I'm going to try loading some in the crimp grove at normal case length and see if they feed first but it sounds like they may be too long in some leverguns to function. My concern about crimping on the driving band is a 280-285gr bullet at 1200-1400 fps creates substantial recoil and may cause the bullets in the rounds in the magazine tube to be pushed into the case causing dangerous increase in pressure.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have Marlin 1894 Cowboy, 2005 vintage, that feeds full length ammo loaded with Keith style bullets without issue. No modifications have been done to it.

At one time I had a crappy Rossie that had to be worked over to feed anything. But when worked on it would feed full length Keith bullet ammo and everything else as well.

Load some full length Keith bullet dummy ammo and try them. The Marlin will probably feed them fine. The Rossie might too. Only trying will tell.

ALL my lever guns chambered in .45 Colt prefer bullets sized .454". Plus I have never had a problem with the generous ( sometimes gargantuan ) chambers or full the full length driving bands on Keith bullets.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

My old Rossi will feed that 270-SAA bullet loaded to full length.

I don't have a Marlin in that caliber, but if yours won't feed, one of the easier solutions would be to get some Starline .45 Schofield cases and load a few to try.

I'd send you ten or so if I had any and I'll bet there are fellows here who would do the same.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Simply take a triangle file and file a small notch in the edge of each case you shorten so you'll have them easily identified. It wont affect the cases at all, but will make them stand out, even if you mix them when cleaning.
Be aware that the shorter cases can build up a ring of burnt powder or carbon in your chamber between the case mouth and the end of the chamber, which can affect chambering with full length cases later. So be sure to use a cleaner and a brass bristle brush to clean the chamber after shooting short cases.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/