Some old ammo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Some old ammo

Post by Oldncrusty »

Scored this today. Now I need another toy to fire it. A Lightning would be nice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Some old ammo

Post by Sixgun »

Nice stuff...early sixties........shoot it? Probably get $75-100 per box for it...your call.....---006
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Sixgun wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:48 pm Nice stuff...early sixties........shoot it? Probably get $75-100 per box for it...your call.....---006
I doubt it'll get shot unless I'm desperate.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Oldncrusty wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:16 pm
Sixgun wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:48 pm Nice stuff...early sixties........shoot it? Probably get $75-100 per box for it...your call.....---006
It's very weak loaded for all of those Colt Lightnings and 1892 Colt military guns.......that cartridge was responsible for many of our servicemen in the Philippines getting their heads lopped off from the drug crazed Moro's (I think they were Muslims) so the army decided to bring back the 45 Long Colt which we all know, have one shot capability of dropping about everything....

The Army also contracted with Colt to make 5,000 of their 1878 double actions with enlarged trigger guards for the Philippine Constables. That gun was erroneously called the Alaskan but they needed a longer trigger for the small statured Philippine soldiers and I hear a few of those guns made it back here to the states.----006

Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Sixgun wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:38 pm
Oldncrusty wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:16 pm
It's very weak loaded for all of those Colt Lightnings and 1892 Colt military guns.......that cartridge was responsible for many of our servicemen in the Philippines getting their heads lopped off from the drug crazed Moro's (I think they were Muslims) so the army decided to bring back the 45 Long Colt which we all know, have one shot capability of dropping about everything....

The Army also contracted with Colt to make 5,000 of their 1878 double actions with enlarged trigger guards for the Philippine Constables. That gun was erroneously called the Alaskan but they needed a longer trigger for the small statured Philippine soldiers and I hear a few of those guns made it back here to the states.----006

Ah. THAT .38. I'd forgotten which one was in use over there.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Or a Ballard #2 in .38 Long to use it in. Maybe a Frank Wesson rifle too?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

marlinman93 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:13 pm Or a Ballard #2 in .38 Long to use it in. Maybe a Frank Wesson rifle too?
Now you're talking. Im sure there are several others I am unaware of.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Oldncrusty wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:42 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:13 pm Or a Ballard #2 in .38 Long to use it in. Maybe a Frank Wesson rifle too?
Now you're talking. Im sure there are several others I am unaware of.
They did also build some Remington #1 and #1 1/2 Rolling Blocks in .38 Long, but the vast majority I come across are the rimfire version, and would need to have the blocks converted to centerfire.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

I wish. I wish I could get half of that! Tried several gun shows and collectable ammo shows with all kinds of old ammo I wanted to sell. At a time when generic new 38 spl was $15 to $18/box of 50 (8-10 years ago?) the most I was offered for 38LC ammo was $10/box. Some of the boxes were old too (20s and 30s). Same with 348 ammo, 45-70 ammo, etc. I was offered less than new ammo prices. So why sell and then have to spend more than I got to get plinking ammo? Why not just use what I had to plink? It was at this time period that i realized ammo collecting was pretty much dead as a hobby. Looking around at the collecting shows I realized I was the youngest person there (I'm 61 now....was probably in my early 50s then) I wound up shooting my 38LC in my 38spl, shot up a lot of factory 250GN 348 Winchester Silvertips in my Model 71 into my backstop, and just had fun with the ammo. My two cents? Try to sell it if you want, but I wouldn't worry about it if you just shoot it up. If teens, 20s, and 30s ammo has no value, I am pretty sure 60s ammo is only worth plinking value.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

coyote nose wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:47 pm
I wish. I wish I could get half of that! Tried several gun shows and collectable ammo shows with all kinds of old ammo I wanted to sell. At a time when generic new 38 spl was $15 to $18/box of 50 (8-10 years ago?) the most I was offered for 38LC ammo was $10/box. Some of the boxes were old too (20s and 30s). Same with 348 ammo, 45-70 ammo, etc. I was offered less than new ammo prices. So why sell and then have to spend more than I got to get plinking ammo? Why not just use what I had to plink? It was at this time period that i realized ammo collecting was pretty much dead as a hobby. Looking around at the collecting shows I realized I was the youngest person there (I'm 61 now....was probably in my early 50s then) I wound up shooting my 38LC in my 38spl, shot up a lot of factory 250GN 348 Winchester Silvertips in my Model 71 into my backstop, and just had fun with the ammo. My two cents? Try to sell it if you want, but I wouldn't worry about it if you just shoot it up. If teens, 20s, and 30s ammo has no value, I am pretty sure 60s ammo is only worth plinking value.
CN,
Old ammo is the same as old guns.....rarity and condition.....collectors don't want ripped end flaps, missing ammo, mismatched ammo, "............I could go on for hours but you get the drift....

Most dealers will screw you over the same way they will with guns...knowledge is power....

Here is a pic of what I had and a lot cannot be seen.....$6 big ones and the guy who bought it will get his money back and another 6

I'm a few years older than you and recently sold 90% of my collection to one guy.

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

We had and have piles of folks bringing ammo in for us to sell . We work strictly on commission, I tell them up front if you can stand to wait a week or two you’ll get more . If we buy outright we only give 50% of what it’s worth and I make sure they understand. Most folks consign and they get more than they expected . Before ammo prices got stupid crazy I’d come in some days and there might be a couple unopened flats of skeet or trap loads sitting on the floor priced fairly and I’d pick them up . Not for collecting but for bang banging . I’ve probably bought thirty flats of 12’s and20’s that way . I got a bunch of REM &WIN Express loads for pheasants in the last 18 months and I d shot up half of them already . Person just needs to stay aware and think outside their normal box shall we say .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

sixgun nice collection!!! You've got me drooling over that box of Peters 33WCF on the lower left! My boxes I tried to sell were in good shape. One of the 38LC full boxes was a Remington UMC from 1918 in fantastic shape. The rounds would not go off when I tried them...cant remember whatever happened to that particular box and ammo. I set up at gun shows so I probably sold it off for a song after I tried firing all of them. Either that or I pulled the bullets and salvaged the cases. And my Western 250GN Silvertips in 348 were mint! And the long discontinued 250GN is supposed to be the 'rare' one. I wasnt asking outrageous prices either. At the time 348 was hard to find and modern boxes at shows were going for around 40 a box. I think I had mine priced only slightly higher than that since it was the 250GN, at 45-50 a box. Couldn't sell them. I shot all of those up except one box because after a few dozen attempts to sell, no one wanted them. Ive had unopened ammo I couldn't get rid of too, unless I sold it at or below what modern ammo costs. My point was that true collectors of old ammo (for collecting purposes and not for shooting) are fading away, and I am putting myself in that category. It is a glock world out there and the market for this old stuff is diminishing. Curious...the guy you sold your stuff to...was he younger than me (61)? I don't know anyone younger than me that actively seeks out old boxes of ammo to collect and not to shoot.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The Cartridge collectors have their annual show about 60 miles north of me every March in Castle Rock, Wa. and I usually attend the show just to look around. I never have made a purchase there beyond a couple single cartridges for rare calibers and guns I wanted an original example of. The prices at those shows are insane to buy, but try selling there and the offers are ridiculous!
I took a cardboard box full of old ammo to the show one year in hopes of moving some excess that was a little newer than I collected. Mostly 30's to 50's era ammo, and all boxed. I had guys telling me that it was either worthless, or only god to shoot, not collect. Many of those telling me that had similar or the same ammo on their tables for $40-$50 a box. I asked why theirs was so valuable, and the usual reply was, "That's just an asking price." So it seems the collectors want to steal old ammo cheap, and mark it up to crazy high levels to sell.
I still enjoy the show, but I wont take anything to sell or trade there.