45-70 reloading questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

45-70 reloading questions

Post by meanc »

I picked up a NIB Marlin LTD V a couple of months back, but haven't had the time to shoot it yet; just too many others I'd be using alot more.

Well, I bit the bullet this weekend and bought Dies/brass/bullets/primers for the 45-70, as well as a couple of boxes of Leverevolution.

Anyway, I had a Lyman 46th edition I'd been getting most of my load data from, but haven't looked at it in a year or two. So I went to load up some 45/70 today and can't find the darn thing.

It had a good bit of load data for the 45/70 using 2400 powder. I have 10lbs of it so it's what I'll use for now.

If anyone has this edition and wouldn't mind sharing the data with me, or if you'd like to sell it outright, you can either PM me or let me know here.

Thanks.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: 45-70 reloading questions

Post by Old Ironsights »

I'll scan in Lyman 48 for you tomorrow. PM me with Email so I can send the PDFs.

Lyman 49 is available now... http://www.lymanproducts.com/lymanproducts/books.htm.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I use 2400 all the time.
Was ringing a 10" 200 yard gong with open sights Saturday pushing 405 cast with 25 grains of it. Took a second or two to get there but that steel sure danced. :D

What weight bullets are you useing?
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Thanks OI, sent you a Pm.

Leverdude, I've got some Remington 300gr and 405gr for now. But I'll probably pick up a few laser-cast bullets in those weights as well
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

I have used 2400 in the past but it neer shot well fo rme without a filler of some kind . I have got away from fillers as too time consuming with other powders out there that do as good a job without the fillers
I use AA5744 almost exclusively now with the majority of my reloading of 45-70 . It will shoot well with ANY cast bullet of any weight . If im using full-house hunting loads I have found nothing better over the years than 3031 .
Every rifle I have owned that could take stout loads has thrived on 3031 with the , now standard ,loads of 55 Grains with the Speer or Hornady 350 grain bullets and 53 Grains with the Speer 400 or Remington 405 bullet . MY H&R Handi loves 52 Grains of 3031 with the Speer 350 bullet .
Right now im down to 4, 45-70s . IM experimenting with Varget in some of my cast loads and getting good resiults and my be switching to That in my cast w/ Gas check loads in the future Plain base is staying with 5744 .
IF I had to go to only one powder for the 45-70 it would certainly be AA5744
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I've got plenty of the powder, so if it shoots accurate enough it'll be a big plus. If not, I'll just go to another powder.

A 300gr JHP at close to 1700fps, or the 405gr at about 1450fps, seems fairly doable with 2400 and still be able to come in under max pressure. Both are far from "full blown" loads, but are more than adequate for my hunting purposes.

I'm sure at these velocities I'll be set for more than anything I'll encounter in the US, plus it'll be a good bit cheaper than buying factory ammo for the range.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Just to give ya a heads-up. Those Hornandy factory cases after you fire em will be about 1/10" shorter than standard 45-70. If you reload them with your standard batch you must reset your crimp die or get no crimp.

I have mine set aside for hunting & jacketed use only. If they get dumped on the ground, well good-by if I can't find em.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I've had good luck using IMR 4198 in .45-70's. Forgive me for not sharing the load, but it is over max listed for 195 grain bullets in the latest edition of the Speer Manual. I was not overly worried because I was using cast bullets and the load was for a jacketed bullet.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Thanks Lefty. I had heard that.

And the Hornady cases will only be used once my other brass has been expired. And with these light loads and as little as it'll get shot, it may be a long long while.
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I always had good luck with Hornady 350 g FP and Re-7 powder.
I have just begun the process of using Acc-5744 and 405 g. lead FP's for plinking in my Pedersoli Sharps and my father-in-laws Trapdoor
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

OI,

Thanks agan. I'll post my results here when I get the chance.