9422 vs 39

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

9422 vs 39

Post by deerwhacker444 »

First off, this is Not to start a Marlin vs Winchester battle. (I own and like both)

I'm looking for the pros and cons of each model. I'd like to purchase one or the other but have shot neither.

Is one easier to disassemble and clean than the other? Is one prone to have more malfunctions than the other?

Give me the straight poop on functionality.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have had both. They are both great guns but I found the Winchester had a smoother action than the Marlin and was less fussy about ammo.

The Uberti is fun but not so smooth and misfires more than any rimfire I ever owned.

Last edited by gamekeeper on Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba »

I think the Marlin is of higher quality and accuracy. The Winny is a much smoother/reliable action and handier size and weight.
---------------------
www.levergunluvers.com

MOLAN LABE

DEMOCRATS: PORK OVER PATRIOTISM
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Right now i have the Win9422 made in 1974 and a 1957 Mountie 39a

The Winchester is the smoother of the 2 by far.

I haven't had any functionality problems with either after over 2500 rounds thru each, and this was a mixture of just about every 22lr sold at Walmart.

The winchester seems to come to the shoulder a little more comfortably, but that's probably because I'm use to Win94s. But the Marlin just feels better holding it, that little extra weight from the all steel construction helps for sure.

The big plus for the Marlin is that when single feeding a round in thru the ejection port, it'll pick it up and chamber it with no problem at all. I've never been able to do that with either the W9422 or my Henry.

Either way, they're both just as accurate with what they like and will give give you many years of plinking/hunting fun.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

deerwhacker444,

I've been the owner of a Winchester 9422 since 1977. Let's see:
--------

Yep that's 30 years. I've got untold amounts of ammo through it with ZERO mechanical problems. It's handy, well balanced, and as accurate as I can shoot with the factory iron sights. I've never had a scope on it, so I can't honestly say HOW accurate it is.
I've been so pleased with this rifle that I've honestly not explored the idea of buying another.

Last year however I did find a Marlin 39 I wanted. It was a late 50s Mountie I think. 18.5" or so barrel, slim forearm, and straight grip. That little Marlin was much, much, much handier and better balanced than the long barreled ones they sell now. And the wood was like it should be, not pregnant and awkward.

I also own Winchesters and Marlins, so I'm not demeaning the quality of the current Marlin M39s. I just don't like their execution.
Should the right one come along at a time I have the cash, I'll buy it.

Joe
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I can still call Marlin on the phone :lol:

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Rusty, You would probably have to!! :) :)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've had several 9422's over the years, in both regular and magnum versions, and in barrel lengths of both 20" & 22".

I've only owned 3 Marlin .22 levers, all 24" 39a's - a 1988, a 1946, & a 1951.

I found the '88 Marlin & all the 9422's to be about on an equal footing for smoothness and accuracy.

I have also found the older Marlin's to be more accurate, and the 1946 exceedingly accurate - the best of the bunch. JMO, but it could be that he slightly longer Marlin 39a barrels helped that out.

The two older M-39a's were by far the smoothest, also - age/wear-in most likely did the trick here, but "craftsmanship" prolly had something to say, too.

The Marlins are easier to peep, and the 9422's easier to scope.
The opposite can be done with both - but it's just not as much a "no-brainer" to do.

In my experiences, if anything goes wrong, the Marlins are more fixable, with better parts availability, than the 9422's.
The Marlin' are also easier to take apart - they both have about the same degree of difficulty to "take down".

JMO - but the 9422's appear "gunnier", more closely rsembling a larger gun. For me, the Marlin 39's thin receiver (in relation to the rest of the rifle) took a little "gettin' used to".

YMMV.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[how did this get here ?] :roll:
Last edited by Pete44ru on Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I wish I could spring for the 1950s 39A at my pusher's store....
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I like them both too! I had a Marlin, but own two 9422's now, one in 22 LR and the other a .22WMR. I prefer how the Winchester handles, just seems much more comfortable to pack and shoot.
I do miss the Marlin though and hope to replace it some day. I guess what I'm saying is that you can't go wrong with either choice, get both :P

9422 Trapper

9422M
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I don't know... The last new Marlin I bought was my Cowboy II and it was as near perfect as any rifle could be. Even the trigger was not the usual lawyerproof version.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Just an observation. At the Penn. State Sil. match. 90% of the small bore (.22) rifles were Marlins. Not to say the Win( of which I'm a big fan) were inferior in any way but, the Guys that were shooting Marlins got the awards.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

2ndovc beat me to it. I would guess that 90% of the shooters in our league use a 39A, for smallbore cowboy. The older ones are d&t'd for both receiver and tang sights.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I picked up a Cheyenne Commemorative 9422 for a good price recently. Accurate it is but it has the creepiest trigger I have ever come across. Would love some advice on how to deal with it. :?:

Pete
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I picked the 39A for the reputation and longer sight radius. Also it's microgroove whereas the 9422 is button rifled (I heard - don't have one).

Mine is new and does jam a lot from a fussy extractor, I just replaced it and hope that's solved. It is easy to take down and clean from the rear.

I use it for silhouette and almost have a grand slam, lacking only rams. Of course it's capable of better accuracy than you need for silhouette. Nearly all of the other shooters use Marlins, some Henrys.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Borregos
I picked up a Cheyenne Commemorative 9422 for a good price recently. Accurate it is but it has the creepiest trigger I have ever come across. Would love some advice on how to deal with it.
The trigger on the Mdl 9422 is simple and straight forward. Just like the pre rebounding hammer center fire 94s. Any gunsmith "should" be able to do a trigger job on it.
I can't recommend a DIY method because trigger jobs are one of the few things I don't mess with myself.

sobenk,

Yes the 9422s have the standard type rifling. But I'm not sure that's a problem.

Joe
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Just bought a Mod. 39A for my middle son and am in love with the little thing. It balances right on the end of the forearm towards the reciever. No serious accuracy tests yet, but took my 7 year old out and it fed a magful of CCI Stingers and Federal Gold Medal's with nary a hitch. Seem to shoot them well also and we had a great time. Edit: and the big suprise was my 8 year old who has Autism got out of the truck and asked "Can I shoot it Daddy?" And he did 3 times to my utter shock. Never thought he would ever shoot a real gun in his life and it just made my Millenium. Next time well shoot it for groups and see how it does. I like the idea of keeping an American gun company alive, and this Marlin has really pleased so far.

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I,m biased to the 9422 as I have not owned a Marlin but I have not shot my winny for a few weeks and took it out last weekend and it was there, just right. No nestling in was required and a rabbit at silly distance nearly lost his tail as I over compensated for wind but i was happy, eight squiggles later i was happy. Its a short trapper and it complements my 94 trapper and I don,t know its there when its shoulderd. It shoots just about any cartridge I put in it and never goes off zero :D Thats enough for me.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Nath wrote:I,m biased to the 9422 as I have not owned a Marlin but I have not shot my winny for a few weeks and took it out last weekend and it was there, just right. No nestling in was required and a rabbit at silly distance nearly lost his tail as I over compensated for wind but i was happy, eight squiggles later i was happy. Its a short trapper and it complements my 94 trapper and I don,t know its there when its shoulderd. It shoots just about any cartridge I put in it and never goes off zero :D Thats enough for me.
That is a right nice Trapper that you have Nath.....I for one am jealous! :P
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Joe,
Thanks for your comments, will try a gunsmith I think.

Pete
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Many years ago, I owned both a Marlin 39A and a Mountie. They were both good guns. In the 80's I shot Hunter Silhouette .22 rifle with the Model 39A and a 12 Leupold target scope mounted on it. IT also had a great trigger done by a local gunsmith. I found I could be very competitive even against the fellows with the highdollar Anshutze rifles.

The 39A has one weak link, but it's not much of a problem, and I am sure many have never experienced it. But the firing pins have had a habit of breaking under heavy use. Maybe Marlin just had a bad run of firing pins in the 80's, I don't know. However, I had to replace one, and my brother in law also had to replace his. The local gunsmith kept them in stock and I bought a couple of extras and drilled a hole in the buttstock under the plate and put one in there, just in case I got out somewhere and had one break. Fortunately, they are very easy to change, a 5 minute job.

I now own a 9422mag that is very accurate, and reliable, and a little Browning BL22 longrifle. Both are fine guns. But I have regretted trading the Marlins off. I will probably end up with a Marlin LTD with the hex barrel some day. I miss my Mountie.
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I too own both, 3 39s of different configurations and 1 9422, and like them all!! I fell in love with a 39A that belonged to my best friends uncle when I was a kid. Knew I had to have one some day.

My 39s are all pre 67 models, so are D&T for a receiver sight, which I have mounted on all. The 9422 wears its factory sights. Both are easy to scope if you so desire. Both are accurate and easy to shoot. The 9422 is smoother, but not by much. My full sized 1963 model 39A is easily the most accurate .22 I've ever owned.

Both take down easily, but I give the edge to the 39. Try both and see what suits you. If forced to go to only one it would be my full sized 39A, I would hate to lose the Mountie, the 39A Carbine or the 9422 Though.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I am thinking about a rimfire levergun in the not too distant future, but I will probably end up with a Henry. I would rather have the 9422, but I don't see them often w/o extraneous checkering. ( Don't like the look).

I wouldn't mind a Marlin, but the only ones I ever see have a pistol grip stock. (Don't care for the look of that either).

I'll probably have to settle for the Henry.

(It's not like I'm picky or nothin').
Levergunner

Post by 9422 »

have the 9422 and my buddy has the marlin. We both like the 9422 better because of its body lines, and how it handles. Both are accurate. I take digger squirrels at 125 yards with mine no problem. Functions flawlessly, I have ran loads that were mixed with lr,l, and shorts and notta hitch. The only thing that I dont care for about the winchester is when your taking it apart an remove the bolt. There is a lil pin that likes to fall to the ground an dissapear.

Go with the 9422. If ya dont like it (an you know you will!) theres a good market for them
Last edited by 9422 on Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Hi 9422, you wouldn't be biased now would you :D
Levergunner

Post by 9422 »

NOW just why would you go an say somethin like that? I thought I camoflauged my feelings pretty well. I mean I didnt say how ugly the 39's were or anything :D