THE DAY OF THE .45

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

THE DAY OF THE .45

Post by JimT »

Originally I had 2 Ruger .45 Colts. One had been given to me by Uncle Bill and one I picked up along the way somewheres. I shot both of them a lot. Eventually I had Uncle Bills gun rebuilt by John Linebaugh.

I had previously flat-topped it, making the top strap resemble the original Rugers. I also milled off the rear of the cylinder so that the cartridge rims were not recessed. I also heated and straightened the trigger somewhat for a better feel for target shooting.

John Linebaugh rebarreld the pistol with an 8" barrel. The barrel was hand-rifles and hand-lapped in Montrose, Colorado by an old time barrel maker. John also replaced the cylinder with a non-fluted cylinder from a .44 Magnum Seveille. He rechambered it to tight .45 Colt specs. Dad and I put a Taylor Throat in it.

I also ran the rear sight all the way down and faced off the screw so that it did not protrude through the frame. I took the rear sight apart and removed the spring, then cut a small peice of metal and installed it in the sight. I screwed the sight blade over against it. On the range I shot the gun, taking the rear sight apart and filing the metal shim until I had the gun shooting center. I filed the rear notch, making it deeper until the gun was hitting 'on' at 25 yards. Then I super-glued the inside of the rear sight, locking it all in place. So though it is an adjustable sight it no longer is adjustable.

Shooting the gun at 200 yards, I filed a notch in the rear of the front sight blade and filled it with solder. That is my 200 yard notch. At 200 yards I hold 6 o'clock on the target with the rear sight level across the 200 yard notch.

I sent the gun to a shop in California and had it black chromed. I had the aluminum grip frame re-anodized. The grip frame is an early Ruger XR3 grip frame, nearly identical to the Colt SAA.

Sam Bass made the elephant ivory grips and Twyla scrimshawed them. I killed a record-book Javelina with this gun as well as a lot of other game. It was my primary gun for many many years.
DSC06527.JPG
DSC06529.JPG
This gun was the one I used to develop heavy .45 Colt loads back in the 1980's when most people were saying it could not be done. Working with John Taffin using data that Elmer Keith sent me and that he wrote about, I worked up heavy loads with the 300 gr. Lyman #457191.

These battered the gun fairly heavily. The first problem was the recoil plate set back from the primer hitting it and eventually locked the firing pin. I case hardened a new one and installed it and it is still in the gun, working fine after 40 years.

The other problems were the ejector rod housing being ripped off the gun by the rapid recoil and the cylinder pin latch being beaten until the cylinder pin would not stay in the gun under recoil.

I fiddled around trying to fix them but eventually John Linebaugh's remodel took care of all that.

I had not fired 20 shots with this gun since 2007 or 8 ... I just put it away and never thought about it. After moving back to the States I had it in my gun safe but just never shot it but once. Today I fixed that! Today was the DAY OF THE .45! I went out on the range this afternoon. Temperatures were in the 80's .. there was a nice breeze blowing, and the old Ruger and I got re-acquainted.

I shot paper plates with a dot aiming point at 25 yards. I did some offhand shooting, standing up on my hind legs like a real human, just to get the feel of the gun. Then, sitting down and using an Outers Pistol Rest I shot some targets. The longer I shot the better the groups got until after an hour or so my eyes started watering and hindering me seeing the sights clearly. But hey, they been around for a long time and are still sorta working so I ain't complaining.

The 2 best loads were the 225 gr. cast round-nose .45 ACP bullet (Lyman mold) over 8.0 grains of Unique and the 260 gr. Keith cast semi-wadcutter (RCBS mold) over 15 gr. 2400.

It was a good day. Shooting the old gun brought back some good memories. I'm happy I took it out today.
IMG_3114.JPG
IMG_3113.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: THE DAY OF THE .45

Post by 2ndovc »

Sure does sound like a good day!

Great story about the revolver and all the guys that were involved with it's history.

Jason
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

A special day ! Good to have those mixed in with other good days. Awesome work Twyla scrimshawed.
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that's all round outstanding. that's a one gun candidate if i've ever seen one. great shooting Jim, and fabulous memories
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I remember that old gun Jim. Thanks for bringing us along for the ride.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Awesome! Thanks for sharing that Jim.

I'd love to see a close up picture of your rear sight. I can't quite picture what all you had done.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:51 pm Awesome! Thanks for sharing that Jim.

I'd love to see a close up picture of your rear sight. I can't quite picture what all you had done.
IMG_3107.JPG

IMG_3108.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Cool story. Good to see old friends getting together.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:51 pm Awesome! Thanks for sharing that Jim.

I second both sentiments.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

That's what I call a "post of substance!".......a few more like that and Leverguns will beat CNN on viewership.

It's also the nicest non-flat top flat top I've ever seen. I tell ya, some day a guy who knows his Rugers is really gonna be scratching his head....will be a WTF moment.

What groove diameter did you bore it out to? and the throats?

Trivia...did you know there are LESS old model 45 Long Colt Rugers than there are 44 Flattops? I have a NIB old model convertible 45/45 acp sitting downstairs.----006
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:59 pm That's what I call a "post of substance!".......a few more like that and Leverguns will beat CNN on viewership.

It's also the nicest non-flat top flat top I've ever seen. I tell ya, some day a guy who knows his Rugers is really gonna be scratching his head....will be a WTF moment.

What groove diameter did you bore it out to? and the throats?

Trivia...did you know there are LESS old model 45 Long Colt Rugers than there are 44 Flattops? I have a NIB old model convertible 45/45 acp sitting downstairs.----006
The barrel was hand rifled and hand lapped. It tapers from .452" to .450" at the muzzle. My Dad cut a special reamer and put the Taylor Throat in the barrel. I fired 25 5-shot groups at 25 yards with bullets of .450" ... .452" ... and .454" diameters. The .452's gave the tightest group but all sizes were very close. I'm not sure where I have the data .. it was too many years ago.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

AJMD429 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:45 pm

I second both sentiments.
I posted 2 photos of it in answer to the YK's request ... it looks just like a regular Ruger rear sight. All I changed were the internals.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks for the reply Jim.....a very interesting single action revolver we can all learn from. By the way, the stocks your Twyla engraved....Your girl did nice work.---006

I see you robbed an old Ruger of its now valuable grip frame.

Yea...something about a single action.

Here's a pic of my "yard & tractor" gun......a very cosmetically beat Single Six.....with Colt New Frontier stocks.....back when those stocks were cheap. My claim to fame on this single action was 35 or 40 years ago I was out back and a crow landed on a tall hickory...I shot it and his buddies all came in and one landed...I shot him too.....then another....made a triple.

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Now THAT is a perfect example of a workin' gun! Used. Not abused. It ain't no safe queen. I like the Old Model Rugers the best. The New Model guns sound like a cap pistol when you cock them and dry-fire them. I understand the reasons behind the changes but I don't have to like them.

Yes .. I did grab the old original grip frames whenever I could.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Eeeehhhh....dunno about it not being abused......that thing has been lots of places and drilled many a 1/4 hole out back before the days of cordless drills........hold the muzzle right up against the wood and blast.

I figure I can abuse a few guns in my lifetime....still have a pair of like new early flatgates stashed.....the ones with the skinny loading gates....most people never heard of em but I'm sure you have....dang! I could talk single actions all day....but only nice ones!--006

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jim, what a fine post. Thank you. 8)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Interesting story of all the modifications.

Here would be the Ruger factory version in similar configuration presently as a 45 ACP.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

weiler
Levergunner

Post by weiler »

Jim, this is the one you wrote up in the Sixgunner? Really enjoyed that article, the base pin latch was a good idea!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

weiler wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:23 am Jim, this is the one you wrote up in the Sixgunner? Really enjoyed that article, the base pin latch was a good idea!
Yessir. It was also written up in the old Harris Publication magazine. Hal Swiggett called it "The Born-Again .45" I believe it was. Whatever, it was a long time ago. :D
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The . 45 Colt is a great caliber, and the things it can do for you are almost unbelievable. Thanks for this post Jim. Good looking gun and good information for others to follow.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JimT wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:15 pm

IMG_3107.JPG

IMG_3108.JPG
Thanks Jim!
weiler
Levergunner

Post by weiler »

JimT wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:54 am
weiler wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:23 am Jim, this is the one you wrote up in the Sixgunner? Really enjoyed that article, the base pin latch was a good idea!
Yessir. It was also written up in the old Harris Publication magazine. Hal Swiggett called it "The Born-Again .45" I believe it was. Whatever, it was a long time ago. :D
That's one of my favorite "modern" 45 colt articles, I have it printed out with my stack of linebaugh/Bradshaw/Taffin write-ups that really got me interested in the Ruger 45's. Thanks for Sharing!